U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 10:27 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,543,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I have cut those motel coupons and used them a LOT.

I have NEVER been refused and everytime I used it they CHEERFULLY accepted it.

I am not questioning your experience. Just stating my experience is a "180" from yours.
I've used them with success, too. But I usually book online even if I do it while sitting in the car outside the hotel because the online rates are invariably cheaper than anything you can get at the front desk. Even if it's three in the morning and nearly every room is empty.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:53 AM

2,741 posts, read 1,767,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
WOW...such great responses, many things to think about,,,,,,,,and yes it is UTTERLY boring,,,,,but hopefully safe.

I was going to take the route through the ROCKIES (70) to Denver (stopping on other side of Denver)...never driven through CO......I do not want to take the more southerly route (old 66??).....but I am concerned about going through Rockies...but not as much as going through BORING UGLY desert....

warnings.....Rockies, route 70?? Does the elevation occur SLOWLY....as advised to check the weather day before as winter can arrive early.

Thank you all for wonderful replies.......not trying to be a whimp, just being cautious
I drove that route to Denver years ago from California. It was a great route with beautiful scenery. However, I drove it in summer. I'm not sure you posted when you were driving. I'd be cautious in the late fall or winter. The weather channel gives a ten day forecast, so you should be able to tell what's ahead.

Sorry, I don't remember what the elevation was like, but to me, the drive was worth it either way. The Rockies are great.

Don't worry about people calling you scared. There is nothing wrong with being cautious.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:37 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,178,928 times
This thread is hilarious. As another poster said, do you people think this is Somalia? This is America in 2013, Jeez!

I'm a single female. Over the last 35 ish years (I'm 57 now) I've driven alone ALL over America (with the exception of AK, HI and northern New England), both on interstates and on back roads, and I've never had the slightest bit of trouble anywhere at all.

I'd say the only thing to really plan in advance is to take your car to a mechanic to make sure that all is well. And make sure you have a credit card with an available balance of at least a couple of thousand.

Only problems I've experienced:

- I once had a flat in front of a hooker motel in Kankakee, IL around midnight - and just stayed at the motel and got it towed and a new tire the next day. No big deal.

- I once was in a blizzard crossing the mountains from Sacramento, CA to Salt Lake City. I was driving a little Dodge Colt and had 5 screeching cats in the car! I just got behind a big bus and let it break the snow for me. That was nerve wracking, but all went well.

- The electrical system went out in my car in rural WI recently. I just called my mechanic at home for the easy solution (engine was running fine, so just drove on home in daylight).

- I've used a lot of grotty bathrooms! It's a good idea to have some clean TP in your pocket or purse.

- Ummm, can't think of a thing else! And in the old days I often slept in my car at out-of-the-way rest stops or at BLM or other rarely visited campgrounds. Never any trouble, except for noisiness. Just lock your car, of course.

Oh, also - I don't ever go to bars in regular life, so never went to a bar while on the road. I'd bet that most bars are fine, but why borrow trouble?

All of you who say "stick to the interstates" are sillies who are missing out on the most beautiful parts of the country.

And I'm much more scared of you weirdos who think it's ok to travel with a gun in your car. If you're a creepy gun person, please just stay home and shoot up your own neighborhood.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:51 AM

9,423 posts, read 10,181,013 times
Most of my mishaps have been seasonal or geography, sliding around on the mountain passes, near misses with elk, over heating in the desert, not realizing that some canyons don't get any sun and are slick most of the time

Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 AM

5,230 posts, read 8,388,588 times
Default I-70 thru Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
WOW...such great responses, many things to think about,,,,,,,,and yes it is UTTERLY boring,,,,,but hopefully safe.

I was going to take the route through the ROCKIES (70) to Denver (stopping on other side of Denver)...never driven through CO......I do not want to take the more southerly route (old 66??).....but I am concerned about going through Rockies...but not as much as going through BORING UGLY desert....

warnings.....Rockies, route 70?? Does the elevation occur SLOWLY....as advised to check the weather day before as winter can arrive early.

Thank you all for wonderful replies.......not trying to be a whimp, just being cautious
A couple of things to be aware of....
1. Elevation changes are relatively slow. Worst going uphill may be Vail Pass and eastbound approach to Eisenhower Tunnel. If your car is a small 4 cyl. , then you will be in the right lane with the truckers. If hot summer, watch your temp gauge. If engine starts to "knock", downshift to lower gear.
2. Going downhill you need to watch your speed, and do NOT "ride the brakes". If necessary to slow your speed, downshift to a lower gear.
3. Going thru Denver, watch the Interstate exit signs closely, there are several places where the right lane becomes an "exit only" if your not watching. BTDT The I-70/I-25 junction is one. If taking I-76 turnoff, it is an east bound LEFT side exit .
4. Try to go thru Glenwood Canyon in daytime. This stretch of Interstate system was one of last to be built. They had to get a bit creative in building the highway .

Old 09-27-2013, 11:22 AM

6,509 posts, read 7,454,824 times
I have made many long distance cross country type trips and never felt like there was any real danger. The US highway system is easy to navigate and is quite safe. If you were traveling acrost Mexico I may be concerned with security, but since this is the USA you should be fine unless you drive into an obvious bad area like Detroit Mi. I think we all know to avoid well known problem areas like that. Even then the threat is minor, and that is in a terrible place by American standards. Crime can happen but if you lock your doors and be aware of your surroundings as we all should do when traveling or not traveling then you should be ok. Now the real potential problems from a cross country trip have to do with weather and mechanical breakdown. You can have your car serviced to possibly prevent breakdowns, and monitor storms crossing the country. Be very carefull in the high country, elevation can cause snow in September, massive rains can cause slides which close roads. Be aware of weather events as they can delay you or cause a hazard. Motels were mentioned and yes getting off the road before dark is important. In fact stopping early and starting early can save hassles. Pick up a coupon book for motels in state welcome centers, they offer deep discounts on hotels. These discounts save more than AAA, so its worth the effort. Keep in mind some hotels don't honor the discount on a weekend night or during a big local event, but in most cases if they have gone through the trouble to put it in the coupon book they will honor it.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:34 AM

3,047 posts, read 6,577,228 times
Some people get more concerned with issues like this then others. I feel for myself since I have had to do things like this many time since I was 20 and now am 35 I am used to it that the concerns are less.
Things can happen just going to your local store and obviously being out and about more you increase your chance being aware is all you can do and don't be careless like leaving a purse on the seat when you leave the car.
I did have an alternative idea for you and what I do when I go from East to West coast is to have my car transported. Time you stay in hotels, gas, mileage on your car having it transported if often not much more. If I had an older car I would be concerned with having car troubles too.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:12 PM

342 posts, read 555,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I guess I'm just a natural contrarian, but I'e driven several hundred thousand miles in my life, most of them solo, and that includes a 5-day near coast-to-cost run (L. A - Scranton) back in 1980. I love to drive late into the night and sleep late the following day.

So long as you have the essentials -- an AAA card and a cell phone -- the odds of trouble finding you are slight. The media magnify them simply because fear sells, but if you feel better limiting your travel to days, and sticking to the main Interstates, you shoud have even less to worry about. The police monitor CB channels and the vast majority of those folks behind the wheel of tractor-trailer rigs are playing for the good guys. I hope your trip is a positive journey, and wil allay some of your insecurities; life's too short and unstructured time too precious to spend all of it in a pursuit of absolute (and unaqttainable) security.

Great Point!!! I was starting to watch the glut of HORROR movies that they show around this time of year....and then all the showings about "Hauntings" etc ( I know we are talking about HUMAN predators on the road etc)....but all these shows about hauntings, ghosts, demons and the like ...well it sells BIG TIME..due to like you say "FEAR".....but the bottom line is: underneath FEAR sells...is an actual product, whatever that product is....that is making money off the FEAR>>>>> BUT, that does not mean that we should not have smoke alarms in our house...get my drift.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM

342 posts, read 555,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I have done a few long distance trips on my own. I just did one a few weeks ago and I am a lady. I look very young too and once was questioned at a hotel traveling alone.
For myself traveling GPS is key, AAA, of course a cell phone and a car charger. I stay at a hotel with a lobby and that you must enter the lobby to reach a room. I usually say at a Marriot or Hampton Inn. I don't pre book a hotel because I like to travel as far as I can. If you are a AAA member you can get a better rate at hotels too. Usually I get a feeling like the other week when I was in Georgia it took a few exits to find an area I felt ok with.
I was traveling with belongings in my car but I don't leave things like GPS or a laptop in view. When you get in your car make sure to lock the car asap. Before you leave have your car checked and oil/fluids changed.
Good luck
Thank you DaniellaG.....my car is also packed to the hilt (something I swore I would not do)......but who cares about clothes, it is lap tops that one must take into hotel......and of course "diamonds"....kidding

Old 09-30-2013, 08:58 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,474,703 times
I drove in the snow "Storm of the Century" a while back in February, about 2000 miles out to LA. I followed well lit trucks at a good distance and had no mishaps. But I am used to snow weather. The snow turned to rain after Phoenix all the way to LA. Ended up with a band of like minded cars, and we all stopped for gas and breaks at the same places, that was kind of of fun.

The bridges over canyon gullies can be tricky with a lot of wind gusts I wasn't prepared for. It doesn't look like much and I thought nothing of the wind warning signs, but they can really push you around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.