U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,694,472 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 21, and was driving across WY, going to CO, her car had just been checked out...they forgot to replace the oil cap! Great!

She was on I 25... And no cell service. Yes, there are still major highways in the US, with no cell service.

Her car broke down, middle of no where, no cell service.

And, she was picked up by some nice folks, who drove her into town, stayed with her until her car was towed to town, took her to dinner, and invited her to spend the night with them. Which she did, and found out they belonged to our same religion. Her Dad picked her up the next day, and these people have become friends.

So, while we may hear many bad stories, there also many good people in this country, who help folks out. I have also met some great people too...and also helped out folks on the road...pay it forward.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:08 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,604,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
Hello......I thought I would ask how many people have driven across country, or even half the country. I am wanting to especially target females but absolutely want male input also.
I am looking for the most logical safety tips, to more subtle safety tips.....if anyone can add to this please let me now.

1. Map out trip
2. Make sure to arrive to motel/hotel at least an hour before dark
3. DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT.....
4. Make sure to have car super super inspected prior to leaving, even with this done...never know,,,,,,
5. Make sure AAA card is ACTIVE! and fullly covered.
6. Weapon......?? This question is very subjective.
7. Make sure to let friends and family (at both sides, where you came from and where you are going) know daily where you are....
8. Make sure your cell # does not go dead.
9. STAY OFF LONG DESOLATE ROADS....LIKE IN THE DESERT, SO YOU DO NOT FEEL LIKE YOU ARE ENTERING A STEPHEN KING MOVIE.
10. Have plenty of water....
11. Do not have luggage etc staked so high that other travelers can see that you look like you are traveling...as opposed to normal driver.....
12. Lastly, I am going to go to AAA as I am a member and ask them for best route from Los Angeles to northeast......mainly I am concerned with the best route to take from L.A. to Chicago....avoiding long desert roads.....want to travel the roads with many people on them.......nicely patrolled by police etc.

How to avoid being targeted??????????????

I am woman (middle aged) traveling alone. Traveling from west coast to east coast. I have done this before, coast to coast.....but I was not ALONE!! My car is an older car.....

Thank you for any input or first hand experience.....
I don't think twice about traveling across country and have done it often. Some of those on your list just look paranoid. It's not as though women don't live out west and in the desert.

If you stay on the interstates, you're not going to be on some lonely desolate highway or road. Mapping out the trip is good and yes, AAA or something equivalent make great sense as well as having the vehicle checked, good tires.

As for not driving at night -- I do that all the time, but avoid cities when the bar crowd is getting out. At night, there is less traffic out and that can make driving much nicer. As far as looking like a traveler, your license plates will give it away -- but you'll see there are all kinds of travellers -- big RVs, camping trailers -- they're pretty obviously travelling.

There are some big cities like St. Louis that are a whole lot easier if you drive through them at night. Stop in the rest areas that have other vehicles in them -- more than one or two, and stop at the truck stops, especially if you're driving through the night. You might actually be safer pulling into a busy truck stop or rest area to sleep a bit than some of the more sketchy motels.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 PM

2,740 posts, read 1,766,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My daughter is 21, and was driving across WY, going to CO, her car had just been checked out...they forgot to replace the oil cap! Great!

She was on I 25... And no cell service. Yes, there are still major highways in the US, with no cell service.

Her car broke down, middle of no where, no cell service.

And, she was picked up by some nice folks, who drove her into town, stayed with her until her car was towed to town, took her to dinner, and invited her to spend the night with them. Which she did, and found out they belonged to our same religion. Her Dad picked her up the next day, and these people have become friends.

So, while we may hear many bad stories, there also many good people in this country, who help folks out. I have also met some great people too...and also helped out folks on the road...pay it forward.
I may be cynical, but I think people like this are rare. Sad to say that if this happened to my daughter, I would have told her she should never stay with strangers overnight. Not that everyone is an axe murderer, but the world we live in today is a different and darker place. There are bad people out there and it's not wise for a young woman to stay overnight with people she doesn't know. It's fortunate your daughter stumbled upon some decent people.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:52 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,435,997 times
Default I have to second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I may be cynical, but I think people like this are rare. Sad to say that if this happened to my daughter, I would have told her she should never stay with strangers overnight. Not that everyone is an axe murderer, but the world we live in today is a different and darker place. There are bad people out there and it's not wise for a young woman to stay overnight with people she doesn't know. It's fortunate your daughter stumbled upon some decent people.
I agree with Mike. In this day and age of girls and women being held in someone's basement as a sex slave complete with torture and beatings, there is no way I would have said yes to spending the night with strange people regardless of how nice they were or even if they were a religious husband & wife couple. Many of the men (who ascribe to a religion or not) who've captured girls/women for torture, rape, slavery, and/or murder had a wife or girlfriend who knew what was going on and assisted him, served as a look out or enforcer, or covered up for him when she was questioned by authorities.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 PM

6 posts, read 9,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Its the way that people and these numbskull truckers drive that makes it a headache. .
my fiancé is a numbskull truck driver as you put it and ill have you know that it's not truckers that cause most of the wrecks involving a semi. In fact most of those wrecks are caused my nimrods who this they can cut us off and think that just because we have 18 wheels we can stop on a dime. It takes the length of 3 football fields for a semi to stop from 60 mph.

O/P sounds like you have it all thought over. Just be mindful of vehicles around you. Watch for semis and bikes. I u see a truck with his flashers on he's going really slow. If you need to stop early in the am or late at night or really at all other then for the night I suggest truck stops such as pilot/flying J, Loves, Petro or TA. Truckers really are nice people. We will help a person anytime we can. Good luck. Enjoy the drive. I have crossed the country 8 times in the last month and I'm in Chicago now actually.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I drove that route to Denver years ago from California. It was a great route with beautiful scenery. However, I drove it in summer. I'm not sure you posted when you were driving. I'd be cautious in the late fall or winter. The weather channel gives a ten day forecast, so you should be able to tell what's ahead.

Sorry, I don't remember what the elevation was like, but to me, the drive was worth it either way. The Rockies are great.

Don't worry about people calling you scared. There is nothing wrong with being cautious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
WOW...such great responses, many things to think about,,,,,,,,and yes it is UTTERLY boring,,,,,but hopefully safe.

I was going to take the route through the ROCKIES (70) to Denver (stopping on other side of Denver)...never driven through CO......I do not want to take the more southerly route (old 66??).....but I am concerned about going through Rockies...but not as much as going through BORING UGLY desert....

warnings.....Rockies, route 70?? Does the elevation occur SLOWLY....as advised to check the weather day before as winter can arrive early.

Thank you all for wonderful replies.......not trying to be a whimp, just being cautious
I was just in Denver and there getting snow already. I know it's boring but unless your good in snow try to stay south. Best advise with wearer is if you see a lot of semis Ina rest area during the day, or you see a sign saying chain law in effect or see truckers putting chains on there tires stop!!! If its bad enough for a 80000lbs truck to need chains to keep there tires attached to the road you don't stand a chance and your better off stopping ASAP and trying again in the morning.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:01 AM

8,225 posts, read 10,776,670 times
About this stopping at truck stops...that's not safe either.

Maybe you all have had good experiences at truck stop,but I haven't. At one on the Virginia/Nc border lots of the truckers thought me and my sister were prostitutes and such.

My mom always said truck stops are not safe,due to the high numbers of prostitutes at them. Then again,I guess that's why you don't try to sleep at the stops(I actually tried to sleep at truck stops)

Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 AM

I'm stopped for the night at a truck stop now. I've been approached once as a lot lizard(was wearing a skirt, not normal for a truck stop) not all stops are bad. Most of them are safe. Back in the 80's your mom may have ha a good point but now she's just breeding fear.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:32 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,604,538 times
Yes, it probably does matter how one is dressed and if they go to the back area where that kind of thing goes on. I think for a woman traveling alone especially at night, stopping for gas and food in the truck stops can be a lot safer than driving around a town you don't know looking for a place. Maybe the prostitutes make it safer in a way, easy sex is available, there would be no reason to go after a normal woman.

Lately what's weird traveling at night is when you don't stop at the truck stops but find a gas station a little away from the interstate. There are these "stranded traveler" types wanting you to give them money. I haven't seen these people at the truck stop gas stations. Often these gas stations are closed but the pumps are still available, but I don't advise a woman traveling alone at night to look for them. The truck stops have a lot more people around.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,019,101 times
I am 53. I have made several long-distance trips.

My advice? Fly to wherever you need to go or take a train/bus. You sound terrified. I find most terrified people on the road drive 40 mph in a 70 mph zone.

If you are moving, sell your car and buy another one when you get to your destination or have yours delivered. By taking an alternative mode of transportation, you won't be worrying 10 years off your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues