U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 02:42 PM

91 posts, read 174,180 times

Advertisements

Hi
Does anyone have pics (or know where to get) of the inside cab of the 22' Penske truck?

If not, and you perhaps have used one, do you think two people, a medium dog and two cats could be transported in it?

3,000 mile trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 03:26 PM

28,390 posts, read 61,750,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogan98 View Post
...do you think two people, a medium dog and two cats could (fit) in it?
Yes

Quote:
(for a)3,000 mile trip??
the cats would be getting "re-homed" by mile 500.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:32 PM

Actually, the cats are old pros. My bengal is leash trained and gets let out at the rest stops on a leash (we did the trek a few years ago in a car and had hired movers). It's the dog that has me concerned.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:47 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,469,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yes

the cats would be getting "re-homed" by mile 500.
Actually the cats should be in a cage and if they have problems with being scared, go to the vet and get a sedative for the trip. The dog should have a spot to see out the window. The people will notice the trip far more. Just be sure the carrier has a good latch and not one of those plastic bits of crap some do which break. And never ever leave them alone in the truck especially if its hot. Keep the dog leashed and possibly the cats too.

The people will be the ones most glad to see the end of the adventrure.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the tip. I actually know HOW to transport animals. It's the size of the interior cab of the truck as to whether we'd all fit comfortably (or at all) that I am curious about. I actually don't even need that large of a truck but it's the only one with the bench seat vs two buckets.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Actually, the cats are old pros. My bengal is leash trained and gets let out at the rest stops on a leash (we did the trek a few years ago in a car and had hired movers). It's the dog that has me concerned.
Talk to your vet then and see if they think a light sedative would be in order if the dog doesn't travel well. There are also natural methods of making the dog happy and calm during the ride. My dog, over ten, had a blast sitting and looking out the windows and all my worries were for naught.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I actually know HOW to transport animals. It's the size of the interior cab of the truck as to whether we'd all fit comfortably (or at all) that I am curious about. I actually don't even need that large of a truck but it's the only one with the bench seat vs two buckets.
If you go to a penski rental site, they'll show you the trucks and you can see for yourself. We ended up borrowing a double horse trailer and truck since we'd have me and two drivers and there would be no room for three people comfortably. And it was cheaper.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:57 AM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Quote:
I went through the same process when moving from Philadelphia to Florida with two adults and two cats. I chose U-Haul (least expensive as well) for the bench seat option as the bucket seats didn't allow enough room for the large carrier (both cats in one) to fit in between, as well as personal effects we didn't want bouncing around in the back. You also have to consider the constant vibration/bouncing sitting on the floor of the truck's cab versus a seat. It can't be pleasurable for a long haul like that.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,011,207 times
I used both Penski and U-Haul and what you need to watch is how hot the floor area gets from the engine. A carrier or animal laying on the floor will likely get way too hot.

You should look at getting a seat for the animals and not using the floor for them.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:42 AM

Actually, Penske sent me pics and I'll go with the 22' as it's got the bench seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues