Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Moving is expensive.
No, it doesn't need to be. I've moved many times for jobs, and here's what I do:

First, you should have negotiated moving allowance/moving help at the time of offer. If you didn't, or if it's not that kind of job, it's still not too late to talk to the new employer to ask for help. Really, you should be able to finagle a way via the company to stay for free while looking for a rental property (your husband stays home with the kids). The co could pay or reimburse motel costs, or if it's a small co someone could even offer a guest room in their home during a 3 or 4 day search. Ask the company if there are any staff members who own rental houses or are there any employees who could mentor the move?

And your family could definitely do research on rentals BEFORE you go out to find a place. Between craigslist and googlemaps and city-data and the CD Forum you can get a pretty good idea of neighborhoods before you go - enough to narrow down the offerings so that you only have to look at a select few properties during a 3/4 day search period.

Lots of rentals advertise 2 months before the place is available, especially in bigger cities. I'd say your family should watch the ads and you should go out to the new city Oct 30 - Nov 2 for the hunt. If you go at that time you may only have to pay in advance for January and security deposit. It depends on the type of community, really. You may be able to wait until the end of December and just rent whatever will be available mid January. I wouldn't recommend this second option, though - better to lock in something you like. But again, ask current staff at your new place to recommend rental homes, landlords, and neighborhoods.

When it comes time for the move itself, can you still negotiate a moving reimbursal or an allowance for the move? If so, spend whatever amount you're getting from the new company. If not, I'm a strong advocate for not getting attached to stuff. In the next few months reduce your family's stuff to only what you NEED and that to which you and your children have a VERY strong attachment (family heirlooms, special toys). Between a rental trailer and sending boxes out via UPS or US Parcel post you should get everything you need out there. In fact, the less you bring with you the more fun you'll have finding new stuff for the new place.

Moving doesn't have to be expensive at all.

Plus, you can take moving-for-a-job expenses off your federal income taxes, and some states, too! So save your receipts.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 09-30-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 01:28 PM

34 posts, read 60,371 times
601halfdozen0theother-
thanks but as I mentioned in another post, I'm military so negotiating isn't an option and because I won't be at a base temporary and base lodging isn't an option. The cost of the moving of "stuff" isn't a problem, that will be covered (and I am with you when it comes to attachment to things...sell it, donate it, or toss it! I don't have my kids old baby clothes or any of that. pictures and photo albums is about it). I didn't even consider finding a place that won't be available till later. Thats a great idea to prevent paying rent in 2 places for an extended time. The problem is that we have always been in small midwest towns (our current towns population is 1600) and a rental is easily found by driving around a neighborhood and looking for the "for rent" sign. To move in you fill out an application, pay 1st month rent and 1 month for security and your done. Many don't even require a credit check (not a concern for us, but just another fee and time factor). Now I'm being stationed in a town south of Miami. The schools have more kids than our entire town and the cost of living is so much higher. I will get an increased housing allowance but that won't help us get in the door. Most places want 1st month, last month, and 1-2months for security, plus application fee's and pet deposits and HOA approvals. And this rent will be about 2x's what we were paying for our house. That's why I was hoping to avoid paying for the advance trip. To offset some expense I will get Dislocation Allowance but that won't be until after our trip and it'll be limited to about $2000. I appreciate your advise. I think in a city like Miami I can probally find a place that won't be available immediately to try and at least avoid 1 extra month of rent. I think the most overwelming part is trying to ensure our kids are safe in a city that appears very scary from where I am right now. One of the reasons I joined the military was to travel, so I'm not complaining, just trying to find the best way to move my family without too much disruption. (this is also the 1st time we've moved during the school year which makes it a little more challenging. I'm determined to have them switch in between semesters to make it a little easier which makes timing crucial)

Thanks for all the suggestions

Old 09-30-2013, 01:42 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenelizmin View Post
I've checked on CD already and have been checking schools. It's just the logistics and financing. Didn't know if any of the moving pro's had any advice things that worked for them. If it was closer we'd drive but that would be at least 2 days there and 2 days back, plus the time spent there, add in the extra hotels and gas and I don't think it'll be cheaper or doable.

Has anyone found an neighborhood they liked and tried renting the actual place without physically checking it out themselves? By using a realtor with a video or similar process. (I have someone I'll be working with who is willing to go look at a few places and even take pictures/videos if I'd like). I've considered that because then we could limit our time on the scouting trip to checking neighborhoods (not lots of specific rentals) and also not have to pay double rent for 2 months. Good idea or bad? (BTW schools and safety are the #1 concerns. I'm not concerned with the cosmetics of a rental, Martha Stuart will never see me as a customer or competition)
Have you tried posting questions here on CD in the forum where you're going? I found people here to be some of the most friendly, helpful people around (just stay away from the polictical controversial section. Those people will chew you up and spit you out).

Look up the city data info on the city you're headed to. Not the forums, but the actual data part. They have neighboorhoods broken down by education, occupation and average income. Usually cities have some sort of crime map.

Also, I've used Trulia to punch in an address and they list crimes in that area. That may give you an idea of the safety of an area, but it depends on how accurate trulia is.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:17 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Oh, sorry, I didn't pick up about the military. But still . . . can't you contact people at the new base who will help you?

My perception, which may not be true, is that military people are a pretty tight community. Surely there's a way to contact people at the base ahead of time. Maybe you can find and trust a family member of a future co-worker to pick a place for you. If you give them tight criteria and ask them to take digital pix and Skype with you it might work.

I did that once, though, and my employers found for me a duplex with a group of young guys on the other side. OMG! I was out of that place in 2 months!

Why don't you go on the Miami CD forum and ask for recommendations of neighborhoods/towns, then go on Craigslist and post a housing wanted ad using those specific neighborhoods/towns as a criteria, then ask again on CD regarding the specific addresses offered (you can DM people who post here so everyone can't see the addresses you are looking at), then schedule appointments to view?

And don't hesitate to use the military thing to your advantage with landlords - I passed a nice rental house in a small city on to a guy in the Coast Guard, and the landlord didn't make him have to pay any deposit at all. Pretty sweet!

Old 09-30-2013, 02:36 PM

601-
There are people in the "area" but that covers Palm Beach to Puerto Rico! LOL I'm not at a base, we're spread out kind of like recruiters. My headquarters is in Orlando. I've talked to my boss that is somewhat near me. My biggest issue is schools. Apparently I'm on the younger end and I have kids in school while many of the others don't. They can live in OK areas with terrible schools. They are trying to help though. They offered to take a day to take pictures or videos of possible rentals for me, we try to take care of each other. I have gotten on the Miami forum and received some good advice and they have a wonderful map. I will definately take sure suggestion to try and get a reduced deposit for being military. It just seems crazy to pay thousands of dollars to rent! Guess thats the small town in me. Thanks for all the suggestion

Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
When I say, 'Moving is expensive', it really is, no matter how much you get rid of, or what moving incentives you negotiate. If you sign a lease, move your stuff into a place, get utilities connected, and then, you realize you made an error, and you really wish you lived in a different area, you can try to break the lease, costly, move again, renting a truck, utilities, hassle.

So, I just think the less you can avoid a situation like that the better.

I don't see why both spouses have to go on a forward check out, one can stay home with kids. Saves costs.
When I was married my husband often went and found our place first. I was home, packing and organizing.

Often though, you can make a year work in a less than ideal place. While looking for a house or better apartment.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Jeneliz, if you won't be on base then where is the job location? How far a commute can you handle? Is it 9 to 5 or long shifts? Kids pre K, grade school or ??

Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 AM

No army base. At a reserve unit in Perrine, FL (about halfway between South Miami and Homestead it appears). A lot of people don't realize that there are a handful of full-time military at almost every reserve base. It has its perks, but drawbacks as well (such as loss of a lot of typical military support services). I have 1 child in 1st grade, 1 freshman, and a 4 yr old that will be old enough for kindergarden next year (I'm considering holding her back though). I'd like to keep the communte to 45min or less but have had to work at places with over an hour commute. Hours will vary. Sometimes I'll have to be in at 7am others not till closer to 9am. The end of day could be anywhere between 5pm-8pm and there are required weekends as well (typically 7am-5pm).

To jasper12- it would save some money to only have one of us go, but I don't think it is worth the tradeoff at this point. I have to go so that I can determine what will work commute wise and I'm meeting my new boss, etc. Also, I typically manage our kids education (determining schools, what activities are important, etc). I want my husband to go because this move is so frustrating to him. He is going to have to play Mr. Mom for a while and that is not a good role for him but it will be necessary until we get settled and can find reliable childcare and he can find a job. It's important that we are somewhere that he will feel comfortable with the kids, without support any family or friend support. Both him and my 6yr old are much more into the country life with woods and hunting so Miami is going to be a struggle initially. Also, I will travel quite a bit and be gone 1-2 weeks at a time. We need to make sure that he is able to get all kids to where they need to be (schools, activities, etc) without a lot of undue stress. And...I am horrible with finances. Money stresses me out to the point of anxiety attacks so I'm not sure me going alone would work out well.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:39 AM

676 posts, read 936,602 times
Ok, Ted Bear, the " sit down with a good realtor" caught my eye. One that wont' try to talk me into living in a swamp, unless I want to. How do you find a "good" realtor ?????? Thanks.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:32 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
O, Perrine is a nice area, Homestead can be a dump in some places, and neither is as expensive as Miami or South Miami. At least since I was there. Good schools, too, again, when I was there.

Im sure the area in and around the reserve unit is cleaner and safer just due to the military presence, IMHO I would look around that area.

Last edited by CCc girl; 10-02-2013 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues