U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 09:04 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,414,391 times

Advertisements

I am downsizing and moving this month. I will be in a temporary apartment and storing most of my things.

I have a lot of things already stored in my attic and garage in rubbermaid containers but I have a question about how they handle being stacked vertically (weight distribution). They are designed so that the actual weight sorta sits in the middle of the container lid and not on the strongest part around the perimeter. This makes me wonder if they can hold up stacked 7-8 high ..

I am considering stacking packing boxes between layers of rubbermaids so that the weight is distributed evenly..

Any advice in general about storage units would be appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 10:20 PM

28,394 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I am downsizing and moving this month.
Any advice in general about storage units would be appreciated..
Sorry... I only have advice for you about yard sales, charity donations and bulk trash.
(that's a big 'ol hint, btw)

Old 10-06-2013, 02:43 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,555,214 times
Are you sure you will need to stack them so high. You may be surprised at even a small storage unit what you can fit in it. I agree that this is the time to get rid of what you won't or have not used.
This may sound weird but when I have moved and wanted to fit a lot in a small space whether it be in the car or a storage unit I have placed some items in a strong garbage bag. Now obviously all things cant but like towels so forth.
For storage units I would look at the fees that may change over the time you need it. If you live in a hot climate get one with air. You will need insurance.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Thanks everyone..
I have sold, thrown out & donated for 2 years , but am still amazed at how much I am storing that I could do without..
I will be in a temporary apartment while house shopping but will be able to continue to purge & sell..

This is a major downsizing from 3 acres & sheds & garages & 3200 sqft house to a
small townhouse or house..It takes time but I am getting there..

Old 10-06-2013, 03:48 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,604,866 times
Get one that is secured, and locked within a secure facility. I suggest an outside unit, easy to get to. And one close to where you work or live, or plan to live, that way, it is quick to stop there to pick something up you need.

Store no food items, at all.

I secured everything in large rubber containers, and labeled the outside, on the long edge. I store winter and summer clothes there.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Get one that is secured, and locked within a secure facility. I suggest an outside unit, easy to get to. And one close to where you work or live, or plan to live, that way, it is quick to stop there to pick something up you need.

Store no food items, at all.

I secured everything in large rubber containers, and labeled the outside, on the long edge. I store winter and summer clothes there.
Funny that you mentioned about labeling on the long end. Just today I realized how much easier that is than the short end..

I found a wonderful storage unit that is very well managed..

Thanks for the help

Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,947,409 times
We used the totes and only stacked about 4 high and they aren't very stable. Even boxes/cartons can be unstable when stacked that high. The totes can bulge and bend into another shape too. We had two storage units, one had the big items which were last to leave the house and the other smaller ones which we started putting in a couple of months ahead of time. Cloth items went in heavy garbage bags and were placed on top of the boxes/totes. Our biggest issue was that we thought we would be in a house by the time it got cold and since we packed during the beginning of summer, all the winter clothes were in the back. Other than that, we did fairly well. No insect or rodent issues which we considered a real blessing. On another move, I took index cards and recorded what items were in each container that I had numbered.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
On another move, I took index cards and recorded what items were in each container that I had numbered.
brilliant..

Old 10-09-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We had two storage units, one had the big items which were last to leave the house and the other smaller ones which we started putting in a couple of months ahead of time. .
I wish I had done that !!!

Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 PM

3,311 posts, read 3,003,868 times
I had to store my "treasures" in a storage unit as well.

If I were you, I would put the heaviest containers on the bottom, so they aren't above and bending the ones below.
I also labeled my boxes. My labels look something like this:

BOX 1 - Red
Bedroom 1
blankets
sheets

Box 2 - Blue
Kitchen
silverware
mixing bowls

I have a list in a spiral notebook with the box information. The color can help the movers when they bring boxes in and you have the matching color on the door of the room (since they wouldn't know Bedroom 1 from Bedroom 2, etc.)

One last thing, I insured my storage items through my home owner's/renter's insurance. It covered all of my things for more money. (The storage facility's insurance only insured my stuff for $2K !!!)

Good luck, and I hope you will be happy with your new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues