U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 40,783 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are moving from Chicago to NYC at the end of this month. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the pros and cons of renting a truck, towing a trailer, or towing a car behind a truck. Here are the details:

I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan that's in OK, but not great, shape, which I plan on bringing with me.
Renting a Uhaul truck is quoted at about $800, but that would double our gas and toll costs.
Renting a trailer is about half the price, but my van has no hitch on it yet, so I would have to have a hitch installed. Uhaul quoted me over $300 for this! Suggestions for cheaper hitch installation?
We currently have a 5x10' storage space which is pretty much filled to the brim, and will also be bringing some stuff that's not in the storage space. Worried we might not be able to get a big enough trailer for all that.
Finally, towing a vehicle behind a truck sounds terrifying to me, but I see a lot of people doing it, so I'm guessing it has some benefits. Can anyone tell me what those are?

It seems like no matter how we do it, it's not gonna cost less than $1200, all told. I just want to pick the way that makes the most sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 08:24 PM

28,388 posts, read 61,750,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterseeker View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving from Chicago to NYC

....towing a trailer, or towing a car behind a truck?
2000 Dodge Caravan that's in OK, but not great, shape, which I plan on bringing with me.
If the 13yo vehicle isn't in good enough shape to drive 800 miles on one road (I-80)...
then don't bring it. Sell it as is in IL and either replace it once in NYC (or not at all).

If the Caravan is roadworthy... then LOAD IT UP and drive it.
As to the rest of your stuff.. is it all really worth paying to haul?

Old 10-12-2013, 05:17 PM

4 posts, read 40,783 times
Your response is understandable, but I've eliminated both those possibilites. The reasons are too boring/complicated to detail here. What about if I am keeping my van and MOST of my stuff?

Old 10-12-2013, 11:43 PM

17,991 posts, read 22,723,480 times
I don't think the quote for installing a hitch is correct. Check with another u-haul dealer. When I recently looked online, and put in that I'd want a trailer and to rent a hitch, etc., it was only about $40 I think to rent the hitch for a trailer for my car. I'm thinking you need to check another U-haul dealer.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:16 AM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterseeker View Post
Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are moving from Chicago to NYC at the end of this month. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the pros and cons of renting a truck, towing a trailer, or towing a car behind a truck. Here are the details:

I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan that's in OK, but not great, shape, which I plan on bringing with me.
Renting a Uhaul truck is quoted at about $800, but that would double our gas and toll costs.
Renting a trailer is about half the price, but my van has no hitch on it yet, so I would have to have a hitch installed. Uhaul quoted me over $300 for this! Suggestions for cheaper hitch installation?
We currently have a 5x10' storage space which is pretty much filled to the brim, and will also be bringing some stuff that's not in the storage space. Worried we might not be able to get a big enough trailer for all that.
Finally, towing a vehicle behind a truck sounds terrifying to me, but I see a lot of people doing it, so I'm guessing it has some benefits. Can anyone tell me what those are?

It seems like no matter how we do it, it's not gonna cost less than $1200, all told. I just want to pick the way that makes the most sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!
I've moved all three ways and can tell you that towing a vehicle behind a truck isn't really that terrifying. Obviously you can't go 75-80 mph but typically 60-65 isn't too bad. Most interstates are three lanes minimum and found the middle lane best as slow moving traffic (55mph or less in the right lane) hard to constantly get around. In the middle land you can get past slow traffic and the speed demons can pass you on either side. When stopping for something to eat or overnight, oversized vehicle parking areas are pretty readily available in most parking lots which is what you'll need. The outer pumps at gas stations are best suited for getting in/out. In your situation it sounds like the way to go if you have a lot of things you want to keep and will need a vehicle where you're moving to.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 AM

9,016 posts, read 9,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't think the quote for installing a hitch is correct. Check with another u-haul dealer. When I recently looked online, and put in that I'd want a trailer and to rent a hitch, etc., it was only about $40 I think to rent the hitch for a trailer for my car. I'm thinking you need to check another U-haul dealer.
That quote could be correct if it includes the cost of the hitch itself. I will be moving next month and pulling a small trailer behind my car. I have to purchase the hitch which was around $250 for that alone, then the installation cost was added in.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:25 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,665,639 times
First...you are moving into the city? As in Manhattan, or one of the boroughs, or suburbia (Connecticut, New Jersey, or Westchester) ? It matters because simply navigating a truck through the streets of NYC can be trying, especially if that truck is towing a vehicle. And what are you going to do with the Van when you get it here? Yes, it is sort of a beater, but leaving it on the street will almost guarantee 'fresh meat' for the local vandals. Don't forget in your moving plans that if you are shuffling your possessions back and forth from the truck to your apartment you need to have someone 'standing guard' with the truck while it is unlocked.

The price to purchase and install a trailer hitch seems about right. Probably what you want to do is rent the hitch along with the trailer. Way less costly.

Now....traveling 800 miles with an older van, pulling a (likely tandem axle) trailer with all of your stuff. Not a good idea. That is going to put a LOT of strain on the old beast. It is not 'complicated', per se, but you have to pay attention, allow extra time to stop, start, and negotiate SLOWLY around the sharper curves. If you are thinking about using a dolly to pull the van, it is probably better than loading it onto a flat bed trailer and pulling that behind the truck. It will roll easier on the highway with the flat bed, but get a trailer through the streets of NY is an opportunity best avoided if you can.

BEST bet is if you can spare the van, load your stuff into a truck in Chi-town, and travel with just the truck to NYC.

NYC runs on money...lots of it. Everyone has their hand out, especially if they think you are a sucker. Pick and choose to whom you dole it out carefully, balancing risk/reward/ease of moving with cost.

Good luck. Sounds like an adventure in the making!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:30 PM

9,016 posts, read 9,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

The price to purchase and install a trailer hitch seems about right. Probably what you want to do is rent the hitch along with the trailer. Way less costly.
In the research I have done, renting a hitch is not an option (at least not for my car). A new hitch would have to be purchased, I assume for safety reasons.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:31 AM

176 posts, read 508,438 times
Another option is to make more than one trip with the van. How many trips would it take?

Old 10-23-2013, 11:49 AM

17,991 posts, read 22,723,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
That quote could be correct if it includes the cost of the hitch itself. I will be moving next month and pulling a small trailer behind my car. I have to purchase the hitch which was around $250 for that alone, then the installation cost was added in.
You are absolutely correct. Turns out the $40 charge i was thinking of, was the charge for the trailer to tow my car behind a U-Haul truck. When I talked to them about renting a hitch to tow a trailer behind my car, I got the same quote as you - I'd have to buy and pay to install a hitch - around $360! To drive 250 miles!

So, it was as cheap to rent a truck and tow my car. This made me really nervous to do myself, though.

I ended up hiring a friend of mine who lives in Davis, CA. She can rent a trailer with hitches, etc., in Davis for only about $50/day to tow with her pickup truck. 6x10 enclosed trailer from a farming rental type place up there. Then she'll drive down to Santa Clara, I've hired college students to load it in Santa Clara through collegelabor.org. The college student helpers will cost me $75 for 2 workers for 1 hour.

Then on the Redding end, I hired movers through the U-Haul site (just the moving helpers, no equipment) who will unload the trailer, haul everything to a second floor apartment with an elevator, and assemble my daybed for me for only $100 for 2 hours.

This will cost me the same as the truck towing my car would have cost, but my friend who is comfortable towing stuff will drive the truck with trailer, and I can just drive my car. Plus she can help supervise from the trailer while I direct traffic in the apartment.

To hire professional movers, I was quoted $2000! This move will cost me about $800. And I'm happy to give some money to my friend and not have to drive a scary truck towing my car :-)

Anyway, I digress. But, you were right about the cost of the trailer and hitch with U-Haul. Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues