Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 03:06 AM

47 posts, read 52,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I am not saying to find a roommate through craigslist because you have to be careful about craigslist. I do think it can give you an idea of what the cost will be to share a place in the area you are looking for. Then you can estimate other expenses.
In my opinion waiting tables is a good way to make money in a situation you are in. There are a variety of hours you can work and tips if you work at a busy restaurant can be pretty good. Also if you end up doing a good job or liking it there they may train you to be a bartender which can make ok money.
When you first drive down there have you looked into inexpensive hotels to stay in while you look for a roommate or other living situation?
If you want to do stock what about grocery, target, department stores especially with the holidays coming up.
I'd probably rather do stock than waiting tables... however a bartender I wouldn't mind. But, I'm always up for something new. I don't think I'd prefer waiting tables, but I could do it.

I haven't looked into inexpensive hotels. I'm hoping that I can be in a situation to move right in. But, I should just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 04:37 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
I know that some people say not to use Craigslist, but I'd do it anyway. Look under "rooms & shares" and you will find some possibilities. I just looked at one that is $450 for a bedroom in a 3B condominium near the community college, most utilities included, and is handled by a property manager (so, not a scam and the other tenants probably aren't criminals). There's also a single guy wanting to rent out a room in his 2 BR condominium, $475 including utilities. It doesn't hurt to look into listings like those.

Unless you're able to get the job lined up before you come, housing location won't really matter. (Bellingham isn't that big.) If it were me, I'd pick the cheapest thing that seemed safe, then save up money so that when I found the area I really wanted I could move there. A single guy, 23, doesn't need to get the perfect spot on the first try.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
I'd go up a few weeks ahead of moving, to check things out. As far as applying for jobs if you're not living there we met a man who just moved to a town near here. On the application, he put down the address of the hotel where he was staying, his cell number and two week's notice on the line "when can you start?" Then, IF you get the job you have a couple weeks to get up here, find a place to rent, and get moved. After you start you can do a change of address.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the advice. They have given me some good ideas of how to go about it.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yensu View Post
I'd probably rather do stock than waiting tables... however a bartender I wouldn't mind. But, I'm always up for something new. I don't think I'd prefer waiting tables, but I could do it.

I haven't looked into inexpensive hotels. I'm hoping that I can be in a situation to move right in. But, I should just in case.
OP I think even for a few nights you should stay in a hotel. Even if you found a place before you move I would not rent it until you view it for yourself. My thought for waiting tables is in most cases I feel you could make more money then stocking. Usually to be a bartender you need experience or to start as a waiter.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:22 PM

It's something I'll have to consider. But even staying a few nights in a hotel is a bit of a money sink. It'd be awesome if I could just move in.... But, can't always rely on just pictures.
Perhaps... if someone gave me a walkthrough with skype video. That'd be interesting, ha.

And I figured as much about being a bartender.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:55 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yensu View Post
I don't know about 8 months in savings as backup. That depends on what you mean, but that seems unreasonable for me at the moment. I will be planning for 3 months of savings, meaning 3 months of rent/gas/food/etc. without having a job. If within 3 months I somehow don't have a job... which I highly doubt, and worse comes to worse, I'd cut my loses and move back where I am welcome with easier finances.
Eight month's savings means it's enough money to feed you and put a roof over your head, buy gas, car maintenance (hopefully not necessary), pay utilities, etc., etc. for a solid 8 months without a paycheck.

If you have sufficient funds to just pack it up and move back home, then go for it. But, if you did that, would you have enough to rent a place, or would you move in with someone?

Old 10-20-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Eight month's savings means it's enough money to feed you and put a roof over your head, buy gas, car maintenance (hopefully not necessary), pay utilities, etc., etc. for a solid 8 months without a paycheck.

If you have sufficient funds to just pack it up and move back home, then go for it. But, if you did that, would you have enough to rent a place, or would you move in with someone?
Eight months really is quite a lot. I would be able to get a job within a month or two, I'm sure. I'm planning for saving for 3 months. As for moving in with someone, I don't know anyone there but I will be looking into roommates and such as it gets closer.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I lived in Bellingham many, many years ago. It is a beautiful area.

I'm thinking you should apply for student loans. Apply for graduate school at Western Washington Univ.

Graduate School | Western Washington University

It will get you money and a reason to move there. You can always quit school if you end up finding a job you like, and decide school's not for you.

Off Campus WWU - Housing Registry

Off campus housing list.

Not sure if they offer housing for graduate students.

It would be the easiest way to finance a move there. It's really beautiful. The downside is that it's cloudy a good percentage of the time, so be prepared for that.

EDIT: I just tried the link above and see you have to be a current student to use it. But there's always Craigslist:

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/roo/

Oh, and in case you were entertaining the thought of living in Bellingham and commuting to a different town....forget it. The weather is cruel in the winter - very icy and snowy. You won't want to go anywhere far outside of Bellingham. I know because I worked in Bellingham and bought a house in Sumas, because I could afford it. Commuting was absolute hell.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 10-20-2013 at 08:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues