U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:48 PM

47 posts, read 43,612 times

Advertisements

So, I'd mostly just like general advice. I've researched the topic a little and come to this conclusion:

I'm 23 and moving out alone.
First, I probably need more money saved up, so it will be ~2 months before the move.
I plan on moving from Smithfield, UT to Bellingham, WA.
I hear Costco is a good company and I don't mind night shifts, so that will be the job I aim to get, though I know I may have to apply more just to make sure I can get something.
I would like to get a job before the move.... but considering I won't have a place, I don't see how exactly to make this work out. I would like to get a job and then find a place nearby that is affordable for 1.
My work history is limited to ~6 months Cashier at Walmart and 2-3 years at a call center.
I would like to continue my education, I'm only just over a year done with college but with little direction unfortunately.

So, specific things I'm worried about:
Getting a job/apt near each other but before the actual move.
Not being social enough. (though I read a post that really helped my mood on this topic)
How much money to save before the move and where my initial expenses will be.

So the biggest things are job and apartment. I have moved to another state before but my best friend had an apartment waiting for me and it was easy to get a job.

I'm so worried about either not having a job with no apartment, or vice versa.
People have been asking, job or apartment first.
Personally, I think the right choice is a job(I spent a decent amount of savings on my other move since I procrastinated getting a job).
But how do you go about getting either a job, or an apartment when you can't physically visit.
That is my biggest fear, that something will go wrong in this area.

Advice? Sites to help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 03:11 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,590,573 times
What made you pick WA? Do you know anyone there?
I think getting a job before you leave is going to be hard. The type of job you are looking for would most likely just hire someone that comes in for an interview and lives near.
Have you went on Costco website to see if they have a career area?
Will you be driving there and do you have a car? How much you need saved depends on so many factors. Have you thought of getting a roommate even for short term while you transition?
Meeting people can be hard but through work and joining a group or lets say a gym can help introduce you to people.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:02 AM

10,391 posts, read 9,403,673 times
I agree with DaniellaG that places like Costco will be more enthusiastic about hiring someone who already lives in the area.

If you have the funds to rent first, that would probably be the best choice; but realize that many LLs are going to want validation that you are able to pay the rent by already being employed. There are a few who will accept a larger deposit; but that's something you'll have to find out.

As far as finances, it would be best to have a minimum of 8 months in savings as a backup.

Again, like DaniellaG, am curious to as to why you chose Bellingham, while it is a gorgeous area, it is pricey. Maybe if you look on Craigslist to see about renting a room (month to month) in someone's home. There are extended stay motels, but that may be more expensive than just renting a room; or if possible, a studio apt.

My choice would be to move first, get settled and then hit the bricks.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:40 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,756,753 times
If you are single, I suggest getting funds, and finding a family renting a room. Maybe through church. You can move, with nothing, not have to get utilities, and stay there until you get a job, and find some people your age to room with.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
What made you pick WA? Do you know anyone there?
I think getting a job before you leave is going to be hard. The type of job you are looking for would most likely just hire someone that comes in for an interview and lives near.
Have you went on Costco website to see if they have a career area?
Will you be driving there and do you have a car? How much you need saved depends on so many factors. Have you thought of getting a roommate even for short term while you transition?
Meeting people can be hard but through work and joining a group or lets say a gym can help introduce you to people.
I don't know anyone here. I need change, someone recommended Fairhaven, Bellingham, WA. I looked into it and it seems like a wonderful place.
You're probably right about them hiring someone that lives there, and since I don't have any specific expertise really, perhaps I really do just need to save, move, and then find a job.
I have not visited the Costco site but plan on it, and since the move is going to be probably at least 2 months, I'm still in the initial stages of planning.
I have a car and will be driving there. I'm not one that cares for nice furniture so I will be bringing none and buying used. And again, even if I don't have much at first, that's fine.
I have thought of the idea of getting a roommate. I wouldn't mind it and I'm easy going so I don't think there'd be a problem on my end, but you never know if rooming with a mostly stranger.
As for meeting people, yes, it can be hard. But, put in the effort and it will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I agree with DaniellaG that places like Costco will be more enthusiastic about hiring someone who already lives in the area.

If you have the funds to rent first, that would probably be the best choice; but realize that many LLs are going to want validation that you are able to pay the rent by already being employed. There are a few who will accept a larger deposit; but that's something you'll have to find out.

As far as finances, it would be best to have a minimum of 8 months in savings as a backup.

Again, like DaniellaG, am curious to as to why you chose Bellingham, while it is a gorgeous area, it is pricey. Maybe if you look on Craigslist to see about renting a room (month to month) in someone's home. There are extended stay motels, but that may be more expensive than just renting a room; or if possible, a studio apt.

My choice would be to move first, get settled and then hit the bricks.
I don't know about 8 months in savings as backup. That depends on what you mean, but that seems unreasonable for me at the moment. I will be planning for 3 months of savings, meaning 3 months of rent/gas/food/etc. without having a job. If within 3 months I somehow don't have a job... which I highly doubt, and worse comes to worse, I'd cut my loses and move back where I am welcome with easier finances.

Bellingham is a gorgeous area. I've looked into things such as how the community is, weather, as well as others and everything seems to match the type of area that I want to live.
I don't care about space so renting a room or studio is fine with me. And from what I've seen, it seems affordable.
I'm not a big spender and I manage my money well when I need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If you are single, I suggest getting funds, and finding a family renting a room. Maybe through church. You can move, with nothing, not have to get utilities, and stay there until you get a job, and find some people your age to room with.
I would prefer not to go through a church as I am not religious and would rather save up before the move so that I can afford a place from the start. But thanks for the suggestion.
As for finding roommates my age, that is a consideration.

----------------------------------------

If you feel I did not address a question please point it out to me. I am the type of person that in order to do something big like this I need to get serious about it and stay serious. So, from moment 1 I am trying to act as if IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

Everywhere I want to move is pricey btw. I guess I just like pricey areas. This is one of the more reasonable places. (And again, from what I've researched, it seems perfect for me.)

Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 PM

225 posts, read 495,767 times
the night shift at costco? do you mean at a costco store? how much do they pay nowadays? even if they give you 40 hours a wk, will that be enough to cover rent if you were to get your own apt, and all other essential expenses?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
the night shift at costco? do you mean at a costco store? how much do they pay nowadays? even if they give you 40 hours a wk, will that be enough to cover rent if you were to get your own apt, and all other essential expenses?
I can't imagine it wouldn't be. I don't live an expensive lifestyle.
How much is the cost of living for a single person from your perspective?
From the research I've done it seems very doable.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:14 PM

3,944 posts, read 7,534,828 times
There is also a Costco in Burlington, which is south of Bellingham. If you can't find a job in Bellingham, would you be willing to settle for Burlington/Mount Vernon until you get established? Those towns don't have the same "fun" reputation as Bellingham but are cheaper to live in.

Are you currently with Walmart? Would you consider Walmart as a back-up plan?

One challenge with Bellingham is that it is already full of young people because of the University - and many of those young people have or want jobs at places like Costco.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
There is also a Costco in Burlington, which is south of Bellingham. If you can't find a job in Bellingham, would you be willing to settle for Burlington/Mount Vernon until you get established? Those towns don't have the same "fun" reputation as Bellingham but are cheaper to live in.

Are you currently with Walmart? Would you consider Walmart as a back-up plan?

One challenge with Bellingham is that it is already full of young people because of the University - and many of those young people have or want jobs at places like Costco.
Yes I could probably settle with somewhere like Burlington. No, I am not currently at Walmart and I would not consider it as a back-up plan. Of all the work I've done, I can say it is my least favorite.
I did a few months in a restaurant as my first part time job but even that I'm not sure I'd prefer over something like stocking shelves or some sort of office job.

I haven't looked deeply into what jobs are available in the area. Perhaps that should be my next step.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:30 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,590,573 times
I am not saying to find a roommate through craigslist because you have to be careful about craigslist. I do think it can give you an idea of what the cost will be to share a place in the area you are looking for. Then you can estimate other expenses.
In my opinion waiting tables is a good way to make money in a situation you are in. There are a variety of hours you can work and tips if you work at a busy restaurant can be pretty good. Also if you end up doing a good job or liking it there they may train you to be a bartender which can make ok money.
When you first drive down there have you looked into inexpensive hotels to stay in while you look for a roommate or other living situation?
If you want to do stock what about grocery, target, department stores especially with the holidays coming up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues