U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:25 PM

17,960 posts, read 22,644,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't sign it until they correct their error.
Agree. Show them the ad and request them to change the "mistake."

If I were you, I'd use the Craigslist search feature where you click on "cats," for places that accept cats. Then just look at those...if you don't end up moving into the bait and switch place.

BTW, if they don't back down regarding the difference in rent, I'd demand the application fee back.

Moving is a serious pain. I'm in the process of getting ready to move myself.

My priorities were:

1) secure movers
2) figure out what I will move with me
3) advertise stuff for sale on Craigslist, and stuff for free on Craigslist (which disappears IMMEDIATELY lol! My old fish tank flew away within an hour this morning. Put an ad up for free and put it out in the hall. Poof! Magically gone!)

Now that that's done, I will start going through one closet at a time and start throwing stuff away. I plan to go through the kitchen cupboards tomorrow and donate the canned food I never eat to the food bank.

Then will start bubble-wrapping pictures and mirrors, etc.

I also can get overwhelmed. But I have until Nov 4th at 7am before the movers show up. So, I set one main goal each day and then do whatever extra random stuff I feel like doing. Today was the list stuff for sale and for free on Craigslist. Already sold the futon, too.

Anyway, I feel your pain. Best wishes :-)

Old 10-21-2013, 09:40 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,559,647 times
They already pulled the ad from CL. I did not think to print it out. We had a "verbal" agreement...the guy told us the rent, we had called based on the rent in the ad. I knew something was up, shown I dropped off the applications, and they took over a week to send the lease. Scam!

Really annoyed.

Yes, next weekend, we are packing upstairs.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:46 AM

12,480 posts, read 14,884,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Agree. Show them the ad and request them to change the "mistake."

If I were you, I'd use the Craigslist search feature where you click on "cats," for places that accept cats. Then just look at those...if you don't end up moving into the bait and switch place.

BTW, if they don't back down regarding the difference in rent, I'd demand the application fee back.

Moving is a serious pain. I'm in the process of getting ready to move myself.

My priorities were:

1) secure movers
2) figure out what I will move with me
3) advertise stuff for sale on Craigslist, and stuff for free on Craigslist (which disappears IMMEDIATELY lol! My old fish tank flew away within an hour this morning. Put an ad up for free and put it out in the hall. Poof! Magically gone!)

Now that that's done, I will start going through one closet at a time and start throwing stuff away. I plan to go through the kitchen cupboards tomorrow and donate the canned food I never eat to the food bank.

Then will start bubble-wrapping pictures and mirrors, etc.

I also can get overwhelmed. But I have until Nov 4th at 7am before the movers show up. So, I set one main goal each day and then do whatever extra random stuff I feel like doing. Today was the list stuff for sale and for free on Craigslist. Already sold the futon, too.

Anyway, I feel your pain. Best wishes :-)
not to hijack Jasper's thread and good luck with your move everyone........but am wondering which moving company you ended up going with? How far is your move and did they come do a walk through before giving you a quote?

thanks

Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
not to hijack Jasper's thread and good luck with your move everyone........but am wondering which moving company you ended up going with? How far is your move and did they come do a walk through before giving you a quote?

thanks
I'm moving from Santa Clara, CA to Redding, CA - about 250 miles (or 4 hours normal driving time).

I checked every option. Because it's over 100 miles, if you hire movers they have to charge you a different way because it's considered in-state transportation or something or other. I'm just moving enough for a little studio, but I was quoted $2,000 to move my stuff by professional movers. No way!

So, then I looked into U-Haul trucks and I could have rented one one-way and towed my car. Then paid workers to load and unload on each end (you can actually arrange for this on the U-Haul website, including the moving helpers). This option total was going to cost about $800.

Driving the big truck myself and towing my car made me really nervous. So, I looked into pulling a trailer with my car. If I already had a hitch on my car, this would have been cheaper by about $400. Only $200 to rent the trailer, plus $200 for moving helpers. BUT, U-Haul doesn't rent trailer hitches anymore. They require you to buy one and they will sell one to me, including installation, for $400!!! To use it for 250 miles! So, we're back at the $800 mark.

What I finally did was hire a friend of mine to use her truck. She's used to driving her truck and hauling trailers with it. She can rent a trailer in Davis, including all the hitches required, for only about $50/day total. So much cheaper than the Bay Area. I'm going to pay her $600. She will pay for the trailer and her gas. I will pay for the moving help, too. So, now I'm back at $800. But, I don't have to drive a truck or tow anything.

My friend is one of those amazing math minds, too, where she can visualize how to pack stuff so it all fits and securely. So, having her supervise the moving help who will load the truck (I used collegelabor.org - cheap!), will be wonderful. Plus, this way one of us can be at the truck and one in the apartment to direct traffic. BTW, I would have used college students at both ends of the move, but they aren't in Redding yet.

She will stay overnight with me, too. Will be so nice to have a friend to make my transition with. So, her roundtrip will be from Davis to Santa Clara to Redding and back to Davis.

The moving help I hired in Redding I hired using the U-Haul website and paid online. Then I contacted them on the phone to arrange for where and when. I just hired the Redding help with U-Haul. Didn't have to rent any equipment to do that.

Penske was even more expensive than U-Haul for a truck here. I didn't check any other options.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:11 AM

On this issue, I think I will rent a truck and hire helpers. It is an easy move. Not too much heavy stuff, except washer and dryer. That may require more assistance.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
On this issue, I think I will rent a truck and hire helpers. It is an easy move. Not too much heavy stuff, except washer and dryer. That may require more assistance.
Yeah, perfect. I don't move stuff myself anymore! It's hard enough for me to move stuff around while I'm figuring out what to take, and packing, and throwing stuff away, etc.

Today I took a closet-worth of recycling to the recycling center, and then cleaned out my cupboards of canned goods and even bars of soap that I never use, and took them all to the foodbank and dropped them off at the front door.

Dealt with changing health providers over the phone, and getting a parking permit so I can park in downtown Redding without getting a ticket. Parking will be my biggest issue there.

Anyway, slowly but surely, it will all get done. Hope your move goes well :-)

Old 10-22-2013, 07:56 PM

5,679 posts, read 5,887,384 times
I understand what you are going through. Moving is a terrible experience and I do not understand how people can do it so often. I was very methodical with my move. I started purging and selling items 6 months before the move. It was a lot of work but I got through it.

Craigslist has legitimate rentals but you have to be careful. Like you said, if the rent is too low then something is off. I actually found my place of residence by walking around in the neighborhood of my choice. Some of the nice places don't even advertise. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 PM

874 posts, read 1,072,899 times
Quote:
Right now, I am in the process of finding a place to live, fortunately in the town I currently live in, with no real deadline or time crunch...an unusual occurrence, but this is really driving me crazy.

Craigslist ads that are scams...I saw a house posted the other day, with address, so, I drive by...it is for sale, and the CL posting, which I responded I was interested...I got sent the "usual" scam e mail..."We are serving a mission for our church in Africa...."....right. Note to self; if the rent is too good to be true, it usually is!

We found a place, filled out the application, which they make each adult over 18 fill out an application, and pay a fee-- rip....and the property manager has not called me back...

Having a pet is akin to having leporsy and HIV. Or worse, because no one can discriminate against you with a disability! But a small cat? One would think he is a full fledge lion, that copiously sprays gallons of urine a day to define his territory...wrong, he is spayed, and declawed...no spraying. Basically he is like a throw pillow on the sofa that I feed and water. If they will even consider a cat, he will cost $25 a month in "pet rent", and an extra $300 deposit. And most places won't even consider renting to people who have a pet.

Just looking for a place is driving me insane. And we have not even begun the packing, and moving portion...I am saving that for possibly Thanksgiving or Christmas, so my family can come have a wonderful holiday bonding experience helping me move. Or not. I definitely have to go see the doctor for some Xanex...anyone else go manic when contemplating the amount of work involved in moving? I am usually alternatively homocidal and suicidal, often in the same minute. I usually procrastinate, because it is so overwhelming...

More to come on this adventure...stay tuned!
Um.... I take it this is your first time renting. Welcome to the real world.

Sarcasm aside, yes, it's crazy, hectic, and can seem downright impossible at times, but keep your head up - you will find something. I've seen pet deposits up to $500 non-refundable, plus $50/mo. pet rent, so it can be worse. (I'm a pet owner myself, it's rough!) Look at reviews (apartment ratings, yelp, etc.) and try various sources such as padmapper or any city-specific sites for where you are. There is also the option of searching for pet-friendly units ONLY on most of these sites (tick a box for pets or dog/cat), so you won't even have to see what you "can't have."

Old 10-22-2013, 08:46 PM

Yes, the little filthy beast will cost $200 non refundable deposit and $35 a month pet rent.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,884,692 times
Quote:
Yes, the little filthy beast will cost $200 non refundable deposit and $35 a month pet rent.

if I end up renting my house out, I prefer pets over kids. I suppose saying NO KIDS is a no no
My pets are much more well behaved than most kids and haven't caused any destruction at all in my house. I hate to see what kids could do.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues