Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times

Advertisements

I am making a cross country move again! Tomorrow actually. I'll be driving from Colorado to Virginia in a U-Haul towing my car behind me. I have a family member driving with me, so we'll be able to take turns. I think it took about 25 hours when I moved out here, but there was a little bit of a delay from bad weather, however I know it's probably going to take a bit longer driving the U-Haul and being slowed down by the car behind us. I am SO ANXIOUS about the long drive...I just want it to be over with. I hate long car rides and I tend to get anxiety. No one thinks we can do this drive in one go, but I feel like if we take turns driving and rest while the other drives, we just might be able to do it without stopping. What do you guys think? Anyone ever done such a long drive in one go?

Also - any tips about driving a U-Haul with a tow? I'm pretty nervous to drive it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 11:48 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
I usually don't do more than 11 or 12 hours in a day. I know I need sleep and sleeping in the car doesn't count for me. I pushed it once driving from Aspen to Houston in one shot, by the time I got into to Houston I was exhausted and frankly I shouldn't have been driving, I'm lucky I didn't cause and accident.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I think it took about 25 hours when I moved out here
google calls Denver to DC at 25 driving hours **in a car**

Quote:
any tips about driving a U-Haul with a tow?
Look for where you want to be; that it has room and a clear path to it before heading there.
Mirrors. Adjust them right and then use them.

Take your time. An extra days rental is not all that much.
Motel rooms are cheap and nicer ones have pools.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:11 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
Yes I did but I would not suggest it to others. I drove from Florida to Michigan and only stopped to eat and use the restroom. It took around 24 hours I think. I have an odd body though and can go days with no sleep but still it is not good to do. Better to take a break then get into an accident.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:12 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
I thought about doing this on a cross country move from PA to AZ a year ago. The truck rental sites say your max speed when towing a car is 55. That did it for me, my max speed is more like 80 (where legal of course). I don't know how practical 55 is, we drove the car out instead. I did 100% of the driving myself, all 2500 or so miles. I think the longest day was 10 hours or so, from Amarillo to Winslow. Breaks not included.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,956 times
I would not do a straight through drive of that length. Even professional drivers are not allowed to drive that long---for safety reasons.

How would you feel if you fell asleep or had slow reflexes and crashed and killed a family because you wanted to get the drive over? Could you live with yourself afterwards? And taking turns sleeping and driving can end up with a tired driver and a sleeping companion, so no one to help the driver stay awake. And you are driving a heavy slow stopping rental you are not used to and towing a vehicle which you are also not used to...I' recommend short days, not longer ones.

Be safe, not sorry. A few days driving, as much as you may not like it, is better in the long run for the rest of your life

Old 07-05-2013, 03:22 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
I wouldn't want to do more than 800 miles a day pulling a tow. Hint get a trailer that gets all four wheels of the car off the road rather than a Dolly that just lifts the fron two, cover the windshield and buy the insurance. I once picked up a piece of tire tread that blocked one of the wheels and ruined the dolly.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
We moved from Alaska to northern Michigan with a 20ft U-Haul and a car trailer, at about 55mph we did about 500 miles a day which was plenty enough given the road and weather conditions at the time.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:52 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
As others said, it's just not safe driving when you're tired.

Why not pick a city 1/2 way there, book a hotel ahead of time?

You'll remove some of your anxiety by having a short term goal and be safe at the same time?

Old 07-05-2013, 05:11 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
My longest drive in one day was from eastern Pa to Charleston, S.C. And this was with 6 in the car, 2 with drivers license but 1 won't drive interstates. lol Made for a LONG day! Google says it's a 12 hour drive but Mr. Google wasn't in the car with a 2 yr old that threw up twice, and his mother who wanted to stop and get something to eat or drink at least once an hour, at least that's what it seemed. Next trip I take with her in the car I'm looking for a route that has absolutely no Krystal's anywhere around. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues