Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:20 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,549 times

Advertisements

Years ago when I worked at AT&T in their customer service department I would often receive calls from folks who were in a 2 year contract and then moved to an area that didn't have any service. When they called to cancel service they were given an Early Termination Fee regardless of the fact that they moved to a place that didn't have service. I remember asking a manager about this when I was still fairly new to the company and the official response I received was "Well, nobody forced them to move so the fee is valid". Not sure if anything has changed since then but that's pretty much the way things are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 12:13 PM

281 posts, read 643,563 times
This is why I stick with my cable company. There is no contract or hidden fees/penalties. Everyone should know by now all the dish companies have two year contracts so I wouldn't use them unless I buy a house I'm going to stay in a while...even then I think they are overpriced.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:15 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
I thought all providers have contracts--that's why you get the discount up front. Hard to believe nobody even mentioned that it was a two year contract. Verizon FIOS contract break is about the same cost and it does not matter if you are moving to an area they do not provide coverage. They won't let you out of it. I believe people have tried suing--but I do not think they've had much success. If they don't let you out of the contract, they will keep billing you, and if you refuse to pay the fee, they'll send it to collections and it could show up on your credit report.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,533 times
Guess I really don't see the problem, they offered to dishmove to your new location. I've been with dish for 18 years now and had them move me at least 20 times~ which they did. And still no termination fee.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:52 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,495 times
You don't have to go with the contract if you don't want to (if you don't want to buy a contract, they'll still sell you their service, albeit at the higher monthly price). And they make it fairly obvious when you sign up - you are ONLY getting a reduced monthly fee because of the contract. It's silly to think that there wouldn't be a cancellation fee. Otherwise, why would they have a contract? There's no point in a contract if it would be free to cancel at anytime!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Can anyone please let me know if you experienced this and how you dealt with it.

About 3 months ago I signed up for Dish Network service when we moved into a temporary rental in a new town. There was already a satellite on the house, and this area did not offer cable.

We have now purchased a new home, and when I called to cancel my service they informed me that I now owe them a $440.00 "early termination fee." They happily informed me that I could avoid their "fee" if I continue with their service once we move to our new home.

Buyer beware. Dish TV will charge you over 400.00 if you decide to switch services within 2 years. I feel like I have been scammed as this was absolutely not disclosed to me in any sort of open fashion when I signed up. I planned all along to switch to a cable/internet bundle once I moved into town, so there is no way I would of agreed to this had they openly told me. The last thing I want is to be stuck with some crappy satellite tv that goes out when clouds or rain rolls over, or their slow internet service.

I am beyond livid. Any experience with this, or advice?
They don't have to TELL you anything. You weren't scammed out of anything. You simply did not know what you were agreeing to when you signed up. As in any sales pitch if its too good to be true READ THE FINE PRINT. You probably just heard. We can get you cable with a billion channels and we will throw in HBO free for 3 months and you said Hey sounds great HOOK me up. And they did.
You are basically leasing the equipment and the service for two years. Why do you think you signed a contract? Its no different than signing a lease for a apartment.
Next time read the contract ( ANY CONTRACT) before you sign it,

It really amazes me how many people just take the sales guys word as gospel.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:11 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
They happily informed me that I could avoid their "fee" if I continue with their service once we move to our new home.
It's not a scam and I think this is generous. My sons just moved from an apartment to a house. When they called to move their DirectTV, they were told they would be chared $250 for reinstallation of the same service they had at the apartment since they were about 4 weeks short of 12 months of service at the apartment.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 AM

544 posts, read 610,305 times
Moral of the story? Don't buy a dish. They're stupid.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:43 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,924 times
the ( FREE EQUIPMENT ) would have told me there was a contract involved. and you sighned your soul to the devil without reading the fine print so please explain how it can be a scam??

Old 11-12-2013, 02:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
Moral of the story? Don't buy a dish. They're stupid.
Moral of the story? Don't be stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues