Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 05:26 AM

634 posts, read 897,141 times

Advertisements

I've looked everywhere for a general idea on how much to budget. I'm not talking about an entire house, attic, or garage; just a few items I don't have time to take to a donation center. So it's not junk in the technical sense.

Has anyone used a service like this, whether it was a moving company or someone tryin to make some extra money on the side? I don't care at this point, I need cheap, but if I can't find it, then the dumpster it is, because I don't have time, I'm getting down to the wire on my reloc.

My buddy said to take the bike and stick it by the garbage with a "free" sign attached and it'll be gone in a Kansas City minute.

As far as quantity, I'm talkin a bicycle, a couple garbage bags of old clothing, and about 5 boxes of miscellany containing books, kitchen appliances, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 01:36 PM

415 posts, read 2,333,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
I've looked everywhere for a general idea on how much to budget. I'm not talking about an entire house, attic, or garage; just a few items I don't have time to take to a donation center. So it's not junk in the technical sense.

Has anyone used a service like this, whether it was a moving company or someone tryin to make some extra money on the side? I don't care at this point, I need cheap, but if I can't find it, then the dumpster it is, because I don't have time, I'm getting down to the wire on my reloc.

My buddy said to take the bike and stick it by the garbage with a "free" sign attached and it'll be gone in a Kansas City minute.

As far as quantity, I'm talkin a bicycle, a couple garbage bags of old clothing, and about 5 boxes of miscellany containing books, kitchen appliances, etc.
Why not just drop everything off at a Goodwill or Salvation Army, or maybe call them and they can come pick it up, A number of churches run thrift shops and would be happy to take these items off your hands

Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
There must be clothing drop off bins in the area. The rest take to Salvation Army or put a sign out with FREE.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:53 PM

244 posts, read 667,518 times
If you don't have time to take it to the donation center, see if they will come and get it from you. We've done that before after yard sales, and it's worked out great.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:10 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Call Salvation Army at 1-800-SA-TRUCK (1-800-728-7825 )

The Salvation Army Family Stores: Donate Goods - Clothing, furniture, household goods and other items

Old 10-24-2013, 09:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Craigslist! You advertise in the free section, and poof! It will disappear!

I just did that the other day with my 20 gallon fish tank. Didn't want to have to clean it up or haul it anywhere. Put it on Craigslist with a photo of it in the hallway outside my apt and it was gone within the hour!

I put in the ad that I didn't have time to answer phone calls, but that i would change my voicemail as soon as it was gone, so people wouldn't waste a trip. Then I also deleted the ad right away. I used my Skype phone number, so I didn't give out my cell number.

I've had bad luck with Salvation Army and Goodwill being picky about what they will take. I was moving from Nashville back to CA, and arranged for them to come take away my couch and some furniture like the day before i was leaving, they looked at it and said it wasn't nice enough and left! I've heard other people have had the same thing happen to them.

So, if you have any kind of Craigslist following there, that's the ticket!

I also put stuff up for sale on Craigslist and it wasn't selling. Today I cut all prices in half, and 2 hours later, I got a call, and a guy is coming here any minute to look at some stuff. If I don't sell the stuff, at the last minute before my move, I'll put it all up for free, too.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Put it all on Freecycle:

The Freecycle Network

Old 10-26-2013, 10:55 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
I live in a subdivision in Florida, so there is a lot of traffic. Everyone here just puts there junk or whatever they want to get rid of, at the curb and it is gone literally, in minutes. Some people just drive around in pickup trucks and take anything free.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
In Veags, you put stuff out by the trash, it is gone before you get inside.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:17 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
I 2nd freecycle or just put it out at the curb on trash day. We put a ton of stuff on the curb last week and it was gone the night before trash pick up. Anytime I put something on freecycle I get at least 15 emails from people wanting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues