U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 06:49 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,967,322 times

Advertisements

Here's some driving tips for people pulling trailers:

HowStuffWorks "Precautions for Passing While Towing"

Quote:
Make slow movements with the wheel: Ease out into the passing lane, and ease back into your traffic lane once the pass is complete. Never make abrupt movements with the steering wheel when you're passing another vehicle. Rapid movement of the steering wheel could cause trailer sway -- and you definitely don't want that.
Regain control of trailer sway: Trailer sway can be caused by several things -- high winds, fast movement of the steering wheel at high speeds or even wind buffeting from passing vehicles (including the vehicle you're attempting to pass). No matter what the cause, trailer sway is always a little bit scary and rarely easy to recover from, so you should know what to do if it happens. First, release the accelerator, but do not brake. Braking will only magnify the situation. Keep both hands firmly on the steering wheel and allow your vehicle to slow down and straighten out. If you experience extreme trailer sway, you should activate your trailer brakes by hand. Again, don't use the tow vehicle brakes to stop trailer sway.
http://safety.1800inet.com/program_h...toc_id/4-9/s/4
Quote:
Watch out for "buffeting" when trucks pass.
They create wind currents which can push you off course.
One more word about safety, don't drive if you're tired because if you become tired, your body and mind aren't in sync, as they normally would be when you're fresh and alert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 10:35 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,075,026 times
I, too, am surprised that you are towing a trailer with a Beetle. I would suggest you check your owner's manual on what weight your car is supposed to be able to tow. I would not do it. I'd look into a POD or some other possibility. You can wind up doing a lot more damage to your vehicle's rear end and transmission than what the trailer is worth. I have a LOT of towing experience and have friends who call me to come back something for them in tight places. It would not cross my mind to use a smallish tow vehicle for any trailer. I googled VW Beetle towing rating and the only thing I found was they are not rated to tow anything. You might have more luck on the search though.

I wish you well.

On the towing advice: 1. Takes longer to stop. 2. Take all the time you need to back the thing. Stop, pull up, restart as often as it takes. You are not in a contest. 3. Trailers can take on a life of their own so watch the speed and making any quick direction changes.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:00 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,600,659 times
Just stay in hotels off the freeway. Not in the city. Park car and trailer on edge of lot. Walk to dinner and breakfast. Use rest stops for quick stops.

I have done it, and was a nervous wreck, but managed, just doing this, staying to strictly highway travel.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:25 PM

396 posts, read 1,496,305 times
My last job relocation trip, I opted to rent a 10 foot U-Haul truck and a car dolly to tow my vehicle. You have to be willing to learn how to hook-up and detach your own car. For U-Haul liability, they will mostly only instruct you verbally. You have to get your hands dirty doing the securing of your own vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Just stay in hotels off the freeway. Not in the city. Park car and trailer on edge of lot.
Do a Google satellite image search of the hotel where you want to stay. Look for one with plenty of empty parking spaces where longer vehicles can park (for example, RVs, high school team buses). Plan your entrance and exit routes before arriving.

Some hotels will block off and save the extended space for you on the evening of your arrival if you request when making your reservation with a credit card.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 AM

9,016 posts, read 9,444,931 times
Well, this thread has given me a lot to think about.

Before I posted this, I had done some research, including a couple of different New Beetle forums online. There wasn't too much there saying to NOT do it. But, after reading here and doing MORE research, I have found some more opinions about this, specifically from Beetle owners who say DON'T DO IT.

I have decided not to. I will be shipping my stuff (really not much, REALLY!) via UPS instead. This will mean a few of the slightly bigger things that I was planning on taking (my vacuum , for instance) may get left behind, but I think the potential damage that could be done to my vehicle is of greater concern. This way, too, I can make the trip faster. That is a priority as I will be travelling with my pets. The shorter the trip the better.

So, thanks to all who chimed in here! I am not to proud to admit that I was not making the best choice thinking I could tow, especially now that I am armed with the knowledge of all of you experts

Old 10-28-2013, 12:04 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,121 posts, read 7,549,043 times
Wise decision

Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 PM

3,237 posts, read 4,547,107 times
You will make much better time without the trailer.

Have you decided on a route yet?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:19 PM

25 posts, read 22,373 times
An 8 foot trailer will turn very quickly, you will have to react very quickly when backing.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 PM

9,016 posts, read 9,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You will make much better time without the trailer.

Have you decided on a route yet?
So far we are planning on South to KC, then Wichita, AlbQ, on to Phoenix unless the weather says to head south sooner. It is the most direct route, or seems to be.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:23 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,600,659 times
I did UPS on my last move, and felt like it was a great plan. Money saver too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues