Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 07:27 PM

40 posts, read 67,485 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to a new city in Minnesota from Wisconsin next weekend, and I just found out that the road in front of my new building will be closed for a week except for local traffic due to construction. I'm now concerned about my moving truck being able to get to my building on moving day. I've moved three other times before and I've never been in this situation. Should I be concerned? I really don't want to re-schedule my movers for the following week and have to come back down to Wisconsin to supervise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 09:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I would assume that your move would be "local traffic." But, you could call the city and make sure.

I am moving to a downtown apartment in Redding, CA, on Nov 4th, and the last time i drove up there I noticed that there are only certain parking spots that say you can park there if you have a permit, and everything else is metered. I had figured I'd move there, probably get a ticket my first day, then go figure out how to get a permit.

Then I decided to call the city clerk and ask. Seems so obvious, but they were really nice and told me the cost and I mailed them a money order and they're going to mail the permit to me so I don't get a ticket.

Anyway, give the city a call and see what's up.

Hope you enjoy your new place!

Old 10-25-2013, 08:51 AM

521 posts, read 4,412,358 times
That depends on the reason for the road closure, the size and weight of the vehicle used to handle your interstate move, the moving company's and/or driver's willingness to expose their manpower and equipment to an "impractical" operation situation, and accommodations that the construction company and local authorities are willing to make.

You may have to pay additional charges if the mover has to use a smaller truck to accomplish the delivery.

Moving companies sometimes restricted by regulations that prohibit truck traffic | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

Old 10-25-2013, 09:44 AM

40 posts, read 67,485 times
Thanks for your replies. I'm going to call my moving company today and just let them know what might be going on next week. Luckily the construction starts Monday & might be finished by next Saturday.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye0307 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I'm going to call my moving company today and just let them know what might be going on next week. Luckily the construction starts Monday & might be finished by next Saturday.
That would be sweet! Good luck :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues