U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 AM

4,497 posts, read 3,880,628 times

Advertisements

Deep breath.

Do a lot of online research about where you are going - even if you don't have a place picked out. Find the local gas stations, grocery stores, drug stores, chain stores and malls, the post office, library, hospital. New job? Where's the building, parking, local eateries, coffee shop. Schools? Check out their reputations, websites. Fun stuff? Movie theaters, comedy clubs, museums, parks.

Do all that and you will have some familiarity when you get there and are alone. When I first moved to KY I knew no one (except mom) and nothing about the area (pre internet!). Every day I would choose one road, drive down it to see what was there and where it went (of course gas was really cheap back then). I found shops and neighborhoods and short cuts and got pretty familiar with the area.

Once you move you're gonna find that leaving all that stuff behind was a good choice - less to unpack and figure out where it goes!

You'll get there.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:42 AM

9,031 posts, read 9,451,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Deep breath.

Do a lot of online research about where you are going - even if you don't have a place picked out. Find the local gas stations, grocery stores, drug stores, chain stores and malls, the post office, library, hospital. New job? Where's the building, parking, local eateries, coffee shop. Schools? Check out their reputations, websites. Fun stuff? Movie theaters, comedy clubs, museums, parks.

Do all that and you will have some familiarity when you get there and are alone. When I first moved to KY I knew no one (except mom) and nothing about the area (pre internet!). Every day I would choose one road, drive down it to see what was there and where it went (of course gas was really cheap back then). I found shops and neighborhoods and short cuts and got pretty familiar with the area.

Once you move you're gonna find that leaving all that stuff behind was a good choice - less to unpack and figure out where it goes!

You'll get there.
This is great advice.

I just moved to a city that I had never even visited before. I'm alone ( with my animals) and it's just fine. Before I got here I did a lot of "driving around" via Google maps; so much so it looked familiar when I arrived at my apartment. I love the act of taking random roads just to see where they go.

As for the dogs, ask your vet for a sedative. I did that with one of my cats. Made him seem "drunk" but just kept him calm enough he slept most if the way.

Good luck. You'll be fine

Old 12-06-2013, 10:04 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,613,526 times
Poor jasper, I keep moving his cat box around. And his bed. I have not figured out where to put stuff.

Good thing he is very intelligent.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:08 PM

150 posts, read 277,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Do the space bags wrinkle the clothes so that you have to either iron or wash and dry them?
Yes, all the air is sucked out, therefore the cotton will wrinkle. If it is a sweater or such, just throw in the dryer with a damp washcloth. Cotton needs ironing.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:29 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,262,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi shots View Post
Well, we pretty much have a closing date of first week in Feb. So overwhelmed. Had a complete melt down and was crying all day on Tuesday. It was so bad I called my doctor and she gave me some xanax.

I'm not crying because I regret this sale or will miss this home. It's just so overwhelming to me. I've sold so much through ebay and craigslist. Had a huge garage sale and sold $2500 worth of stuff and every week I am donating to the local churches and thrift stores. But yet there is soooooooo much stuff.

I am so stressed about the move. We are traveling down (me and hub) in our car with my two pugs who don't travel well. Haven't found a place to rent yet that is furnished in decent area. That is stressing me bad. Then my husband is going to take a flight back to drive down with my youngest and possible have my older one follow. I will be alone in a state far from anyone. I hate to say it but I'm scared. My eyes are watering as I type this.

I started to pack some things but I look all around me and even though we got rid of so much, I see tons of stuff. I have a business that occupies 2 whole rooms. That in itself is freaking me out.

I just wish I wasn't so weepy and my heart wasn't racing
Shots, where are you going? Is the move for a job? How long have you lived there?

I feel the same way and our move is months away. We've been here 22 years and the place is packed to the brim.

He will get you through it. hugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Poor jasper, I keep moving his cat box around. And his bed. I have not figured out where to put stuff.

Good thing he is very intelligent.
Jasper, you seem a tad more calm. I hope.

Yes, deep breaths is very good advice. Sometimes we need to walk away, take a time out, count to ten. Do it, folks, your blood pressure will thank you.

Today's effort was three more things selling on the bay. Every little bit helps.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:33 PM

35,121 posts, read 40,013,554 times
We have moved 8 times in 5 years. I can pack the entire house properly and completely and have it cleaned and spotless ready for the next renter in about 12 hours.
That includes everything being loaded on the truck and the animals contained and ready to leave.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:36 PM

150 posts, read 277,867 times
Give yourself permission to unpack a little at a time. In addition to all the decluttering and packing, unpacking requires deliveries of appliances and furniture, and as you all know, trying to figure where to put anything.

We had 16 people for Thanksgiving, and Christmas is also at our house. I have unpacked the essentials, have a ton of boxes and am missing stuff, but one day at a time.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,262,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We have moved 8 times in 5 years. I can pack the entire house properly and completely and have it cleaned and spotless ready for the next renter in about 12 hours.
That includes everything being loaded on the truck and the animals contained and ready to leave.

And lived to tell!!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:50 PM

9,031 posts, read 9,451,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmom87 View Post
Give yourself permission to unpack a little at a time. In addition to all the decluttering and packing, unpacking requires deliveries of appliances and furniture, and as you all know, trying to figure where to put anything.

We had 16 people for Thanksgiving, and Christmas is also at our house. I have unpacked the essentials, have a ton of boxes and am missing stuff, but one day at a time.
I have to unpack it all immediately. The clutter of stuff sitting around makes me crazy

Old 12-06-2013, 06:03 PM

5,045 posts, read 5,966,482 times
I wanted to unpack immediately, but the temps kept shifting into the 90s, and I had two relo cubes. I bought stuff in during the mornings and evenings and shifted them around in the house during the heat of the day.

The best things I did: 1) bought a new cat perch for the cat, so she had something to explore when I locked her up in the bedroom. 2) I set up my bed first (and made it) before I did anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues