U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 01:33 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,255,418 times

Advertisements

Wow, kabO, we're 1300 miles. Please post what yu are trashing/not taking.

Lovebird, have you thought of thrift instead of new?

Txred, congratulations on your move, where did you move from?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:46 PM

4,492 posts, read 3,874,578 times
CCc - I'm looking at everything this way: Did I use it in the last year? Is it worn out, damaged or out of style? Is it replaceable at less cost than to move it? Will I really need it where I'm going (lots of winter clothes didn't make this cut!)? Do I have multiples of this so I can let one go (kitchen stuff falls here!)? Will I really have room for this?

Then I ask: Do I really love this? Or am I keeping it just because I've had it a while?

The final question is: Am I keeping it because I feel I *have* to (lots of family 'gifted' stuff falls here)?

I'm really tired of having stuff that I feel OBLIGATED to keep for reasons other than my own - like stuff my inlaws dumped on us when they moved several years ago or stuff I got after dad remarried. I'm approaching 50 - I'm not keeping what I don't want or love anymore.

If I had my way, 2/3rd of the furniture in this home would not go with us. I have on craigslist about several pieces to sell. I'm trying to get my older brother to take some of the 'family' stuff my dad dumped on me. Most of them are antiques. Lots of them are not really suited to my tastes or lifestyle I want to live.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:04 PM

kabO, I'm right there with you.

I sold off my extensive vintage glass collection at giveaway prices. Let someone else love them, I did for twenty years.
My turntable, CD player and tape deck from 1991. We moved here and I never hooked them up. My vinyl records, done. Sold most and the rest to Salvation Army.

Same with the furniture, only keeping select things. DH wants to keep his crappy desk, okay, it was the first piece we bought together, I will let him. Everything else, no thanks, it's all garage sale finds (I'm an antique nut) nothing priceless there.

We're going to Fl, you?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:55 PM

Headed towards Tampa, probably will end up in Clearwater/Safety Harbor or close to it. We'll rent first and really take a good long look.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:05 PM

281 posts, read 536,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Wow, kabO, we're 1300 miles. Please post what yu are trashing/not taking.

Lovebird, have you thought of thrift instead of new?

Txred, congratulations on your move, where did you move from?
I haven't made the move yet...I'm just starting the process very very early! lol...in July I'll be going from Reno to Dallas!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 PM

I started the sell off November 2012. We had hoped to moved by October of last year. Which was unrealistic. We have 22 years of stuff to unload, I hoping September.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 PM

281 posts, read 536,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
CCc - I'm looking at everything this way: Did I use it in the last year? Is it worn out, damaged or out of style? Is it replaceable at less cost than to move it? Will I really need it where I'm going (lots of winter clothes didn't make this cut!)? Do I have multiples of this so I can let one go (kitchen stuff falls here!)? Will I really have room for this?

Then I ask: Do I really love this? Or am I keeping it just because I've had it a while?

The final question is: Am I keeping it because I feel I *have* to (lots of family 'gifted' stuff falls here)?

I'm really tired of having stuff that I feel OBLIGATED to keep for reasons other than my own - like stuff my inlaws dumped on us when they moved several years ago or stuff I got after dad remarried. I'm approaching 50 - I'm not keeping what I don't want or love anymore.

If I had my way, 2/3rd of the furniture in this home would not go with us. I have on craigslist about several pieces to sell. I'm trying to get my older brother to take some of the 'family' stuff my dad dumped on me. Most of them are antiques. Lots of them are not really suited to my tastes or lifestyle I want to live.
I am doing the same, going through the same thought process. It is so easy to accumulate and save so much stuff when you have the room and are not moving. I have started going through some old clothes and some linen closet items. I read once that you should ask yourself have I used this in the past year? Do I adore it with all my heart and whenever I see it it makes me smile? If neither of those answers are yes, let it go. I kept a lot of leftover stuff my ex didn't take when we split up that I have never used in over 2 years...it's just easy to keep it in a drawer though. All that stuff is going to goodwill!

Old 02-20-2014, 04:25 PM

Way to go Tx!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2014, 05:43 PM

Today I painted a hallway and a door. It was the last bit of space that needed it before we put the house on the market.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:44 PM

Good luck, kabO, I hope you get a ton of money for the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues