U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 PM

54 posts, read 74,078 times

Advertisements

oh gawd... think I have to talk my bf out of driving. The cost is more.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:26 PM

3,927 posts, read 4,797,162 times
But you will see more of the country. Boston to Indianapolis to Tulsa, OKC, Dallas is a good route. Alternately, 81 to Knoxville, pick up 40 down to Memphis, 30 to Dallas.

The second route takes you down through the Appalachians and Smokey Mts, sight-seeing in Nashville, etc.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:54 PM

106 posts, read 238,339 times
We're six months away from the move but I started to plot everything out. Got a quote on ABF relocubes and planned out the roadtrip route and which hotels we'll stay at overnight.

This will be our fourth cross country move in six years so I think I'm starting to get the hang of this

Old 05-01-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
But you will see more of the country. Boston to Indianapolis to Tulsa, OKC, Dallas is a good route. Alternately, 81 to Knoxville, pick up 40 down to Memphis, 30 to Dallas.

The second route takes you down through the Appalachians and Smokey Mts, sight-seeing in Nashville, etc.
That is very true. But for a whopping total of $1900+ because of the drop of fee. I'm better off flying and shipping. We'll have another great adventure when I move there and not have to work about dropping the rental car at a different location.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmn View Post
We're six months away from the move but I started to plot everything out. Got a quote on ABF relocubes and planned out the roadtrip route and which hotels we'll stay at overnight.

This will be our fourth cross country move in six years so I think I'm starting to get the hang of this

That's amazing D: fourth move?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:14 AM

487 posts, read 589,285 times
Quote:

Incredible! And I've never done it, but will be by late summer this year. We'll work things out I have one big obstacle - I'm still trying to figure out the best way to relocate my two little dogs and one senior cat 1700 miles without the poor kitty losing all his fur due to stress. He's the love of my life and I have no idea of whether to try flying him or driving him on a three-day journey.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:31 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,325,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendingtowork View Post
Sign is up, house is officially on the market.
Congrats PTW, I hope it does well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantotto View Post
oh gawd... think I have to talk my bf out of driving. The cost is more.
Yes, Shato, but can't you move more stuff driving and save on moving a little or a lot?

Quote:

Holy cow, 4 moves in 6 years! You're a pro by now for sure! Be sure to check a conventional mover like Maflower, they were half the price of a pod to move some tractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
Incredible! And I've never done it, but will be by late summer this year. We'll work things out I have one big obstacle - I'm still trying to figure out the best way to relocate my two little dogs and one senior cat 1700 miles without the poor kitty losing all his fur due to stress. He's the love of my life and I have no idea of whether to try flying him or driving him on a three-day journey.
Blue cat, go to the Moving threads and search cats, there is tons of good info there. Bach's rescue remedy is mentioned a ton of times. With a potential of 12 cats to move at one pooint I learned a ton of things reading the old posts. Start now so you will be ready.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 PM

4,786 posts, read 3,210,692 times
This morning we found out that we needed a new sink & a couple new toilets so BACK to Home Depot AGAIN. But, we managed to buy all of that including the last of the flooring we needed & lighting for the master bath. We were on our way out when I found the curtain rods. When we were in there yesterday, the guy told us that we would have to buy them on-line. So, we now have the curtain rods AND the curtains for our bedroom. Now, we just have to put them up. But at least I know they will be up for our first night there. I was afraid that we were going to have to have a makeshift curtain.

Cat

Old 05-01-2014, 04:54 PM

106 posts, read 238,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantotto View Post
That's amazing D: fourth move?
Yep. Back and forth between Minnesota and Arizona. Maybe some day we'll get a house in each state so we don't have to keep doing this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
Our cat has been on two roadtrips so far (this will be her third). She does pretty well, just sleeps in her cat carrier most of the time and does her business when we get to the hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Holy cow, 4 moves in 6 years! You're a pro by now for sure! Be sure to check a conventional mover like Maflower, they were half the price of a pod to move some tractors.

Thanks for the rec but we are extremely happy with ABF relocubes. I like the easiness of them and ABF are very cheap (especially with the discounts I get).

Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 PM

878 posts, read 863,353 times
Soooooo, today we decided to just DO IT and move, sight unseen, to Minneapolis. We were originally going to go up for the summer to check it out but we realized that coming back to FL after a month or two to pack up and move would be both expensive and stressful, so we're going to move up AND have ABF move our stuff up at the same time. So now I have a MAJOR deadline looming, we have 34ish days to get this house all packed up and ready to go.

Even if we have to pay for storage, it will be cheaper than flying r/t with the three kids and boarding the dogs-- AND we also decided that we might even rent sight unseen, eeek. At least I have a friend up there that can check things out for me, we just want to ensure that we get a place that's big enough AND allows for two BIG dogs.. so we might jump on something before we get there. Definitely unorthodox and WAY out of my OCD, major planner comfort zone but we KNOW that MN is where we need to be (my husband is a hockey coach) so we've decided that we're going to LOVE it (whether we really do or not, we're ALL IN!)

Quote:
Thanks for the rec but we are extremely happy with ABF relocubes. I like the easiness of them and ABF are very cheap (especially with the discounts I get).
^any advice about discounts on ABF moves? Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues