U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-05-2014, 05:43 PM
 
7,007 posts, read 6,990,757 times
Reputation: 5821

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Feeling overwhelmed.


If all goes well I have 5 weeks to figure out what storage company to use and how much stuff will fit in a container.

I'm hoping one of the 16 x 8 x 8 will do but I'm really not sure.

It would be really great if my older brother would take some of the family pieces off my hands. I inherited a lot of furniture just because I was close to my dad when he moved away. I could easily cull 1.5 rooms of stuff if he would just take it, including 3 wing back chairs, 1 love seat, 1 large dresser, 1 large blanket chest, 3 big mirrors and a table. I would be happy getting rid of all of it. Then I would know that the container will work.


*phew*
If there is not too much sentimental value attached to it, may I suggest sending the furniture you don't want to a consignment store if your brother does not want it. We received $378 for 2 wingback chairs we couldn't use in a smaller house. We were planning to give them away but decided at the end to consign a bunch of stuff. It was nice getting that check...

 
Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 PM
 
7,007 posts, read 6,990,757 times
Reputation: 5821
Sounds like the real estate market is picking up everywhere. Hooray!!
 
Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,509 posts, read 3,914,694 times
Reputation: 9902
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
If there is not too much sentimental value attached to it, may I suggest sending the furniture you don't want to a consignment store if your brother does not want it. We received $378 for 2 wingback chairs we couldn't use in a smaller house. We were planning to give them away but decided at the end to consign a bunch of stuff. It was nice getting that check...
They are antiques. Been in the family for more than 100 years, no kidding. If I just got rid of them I would never hear the end of it, despite the fact that he hasn't come to get them yet and I've been planning this move for months.

*sigh*
 
Old 05-06-2014, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Venus
4,762 posts, read 3,194,794 times
Reputation: 7942
Went to make myself my second cup of tea this morning and the stove wouldn't light. Hubby went outside and our tank was gone. Hubby called the gas company. There was a miscommunication. We have decided that since it is only a week, we can live without a stove/oven. We have the grill, the microwave oven, an alcohol stove, a propane stove in our camper van, and we have the # to the local pizza place & take out Chinese food. Also, we can move the stove over there this week and have it set up so when we get over there next week it will be ready for us. But, it just hit me that we don't have a dryer now. Well, it would blow air-just not hot air so I guess it could dry if need be but I think we have enough clothes to last us until the new dryer gets delivered a week from Thursday. Good thing I did laundry two days ago.



Cat
 
Old 05-06-2014, 10:55 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
Reputation: 7523
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
OMG we signed the paperwork on the offer.

Now for the inspections....


One step closer!
WTG Kab0!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Actually, he got the idea from my sister. She too is moving-bought a house that needs renos and once that is done, they will be moving in. She already has a buyer for her old house-her next door neighbor. I told Hubby this but I didn't realize that he was going to try the same thing. He told me he called the church AFTER he called. THEN he asked me if it was ok. Even though it was kind of late at that point, I agree it was a good move on his part. And if they do buy it-even better. The irony of it is the fact we have had many issues with the church-but that is another LONG story.



Cat
Well, maybe you and the church will part on good terms......Jesus tells us to forgive
(or so I've heard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Way to go, ALL!

Wife walked through the house today and said "I HAVE HAD IT". Home goes on the market along with the garage sale on Friday. Going to put out flyers and a FSBO sign as opposed to my company sign.

Here's hoping we can get a solid offer. Time to pack it in.
Were you waiting for her to drop that shoe? Awesome, now you both can dig in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
They are antiques. Been in the family for more than 100 years, no kidding. If I just got rid of them I would never hear the end of it, despite the fact that he hasn't come to get them yet and I've been planning this move for months.

*sigh*
Oh, Kab0, I don't know if I could part with those.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Went to make myself my second cup of tea this morning and the stove wouldn't light. Hubby went outside and our tank was gone. Hubby called the gas company. There was a miscommunication. We have decided that since it is only a week, we can live without a stove/oven. We have the grill, the microwave oven, an alcohol stove, a propane stove in our camper van, and we have the # to the local pizza place & take out Chinese food. Also, we can move the stove over there this week and have it set up so when we get over there next week it will be ready for us. But, it just hit me that we don't have a dryer now. Well, it would blow air-just not hot air so I guess it could dry if need be but I think we have enough clothes to last us until the new dryer gets delivered a week from Thursday. Good thing I did laundry two days ago.


Cat
Well at least no one stole the danged thing. So you're camping out for a week. That will make moving in even better, not having to rough it.


Today I'm going to pack up some things for my consignment gal, an old ricer my Dad gave me and my great Uncle's canteen and mess kit from WWII. No, they won't sell on ebay.
 
Old 05-06-2014, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,509 posts, read 3,914,694 times
Reputation: 9902
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Oh, Kab0, I don't know if I could part with those.....

Oh you could, believe me. Try to imagine being entrusted (because no one else was around) with 'family' pieces that are mismatched, uncomfortable and some not even functional anymore, yet face the guilt trip of **having** to keep them because they have been in the family for years.

I don't *want* them. Most of them I don't even use - they just take up space. Yet if I just put them up for sale my brother would nag me to his grave...
 
Old 05-06-2014, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,509 posts, read 3,914,694 times
Reputation: 9902
Choosing a moving company is just simply a crap shoot, isn't it???
 
Old 05-06-2014, 03:03 PM
 
9,076 posts, read 9,510,649 times
Reputation: 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Oh you could, believe me. Try to imagine being entrusted (because no one else was around) with 'family' pieces that are mismatched, uncomfortable and some not even functional anymore, yet face the guilt trip of **having** to keep them because they have been in the family for years.

I don't *want* them. Most of them I don't even use - they just take up space. Yet if I just put them up for sale my brother would nag me to his grave...
If they are that important to the brother, he should take them off your hands.
__________________
My posts as moderator will be in red.
 
Old 05-06-2014, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Port Charlotte
3,927 posts, read 4,780,796 times
Reputation: 3409
Kab0 , call the brother, give him a deadline. You have one, so does he.

Good luck in the sale process.
 
Old 05-06-2014, 06:21 PM
 
7,007 posts, read 6,990,757 times
Reputation: 5821
Advice from someone who just moved: Make sure you are packed up well before the movers come. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we had not finished packing by moving day, and what was left had to be thrown in boxes, not labeled, and often odd items mixed together. It has been a horrible experience to have boxes everywhere in the new smaller space and not have a clue what is in them. We've had to re-pack some things that should have gone to storage. Double work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top