U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,742,814 times

Advertisements

Made it down, unloaded the first load, thanks to the help of our new neighbors. Just came over and pitched in. Great neighbors are hard to find and we lucked out.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:25 PM

4,496 posts, read 3,877,510 times
Booked the flights for hubby and DD for after our closing date. I'll be driving my car and the dog.

Less than 30 days now...

Old 05-21-2014, 01:22 AM

128 posts, read 125,914 times
I've been reading a lot of the earlier posts in this thread but haven't quite made it all the way through. I figured now is a good time to post seeing as I am really starting to stress about our move. Haven't been on the CD forum for too long so hello to you all.

My husband and I are moving between August 18th and September 8th from Texas to Arizona. It's a large window because we are going to rent a house and it's still a little too soon to look. I am a college student about to finish my last class for my BS but I will be driving 3hrs a day, 4 times a week for 5 weeks (19 days total) and working part time in late July so we have about 8 weeks to get our stuff packed before that. I started going through stuff in boxes from our last move about 1.5 years ago. Getting rid of junk and selling what I can. Money is a big problem seeing as I don't work full time and husband works very part time after a work injury last year so this is going to be fun. My niece is also coming with us. Can't forget about the 4 medium to large sized dogs. We are renting a truck and doing everything on our own.

It seems a little nuts, but we are moving from a very small and limited town to a much better opportunity. My husband is going to school and I'll be able to find a job better suited for my skills and degree concentration. I will also be able to go back to school later and my niece will be able to go to a great (or at least better than here) school.

I am excited about moving but I already have anxiety just thinking about it. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:29 AM

4,711 posts, read 3,154,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We moved locally 3 weeks ago and it was a nightmare, with 7 movers running all around and us with no control over anything--too many workers and too much confusion...

After reading wonderful advice on the C-D by a poster* who split his move in half and had the workers come on 2 different days, we are thinking of splitting up our next move. We moved from a good sized home to a temporary apartment. A good portion of our belongings went to a big storage unit. After suffering thru a grueling move, we are trying to come up with a better solution for the final move. Since we had personally taken a bunch of items to the storage unit, we are considering pulling out stuff from the unit that we could carry over to the new house ourselves. Then when the heavy stuff is left, having the movers take those things. We could separate the 2 moves by a week or two, to give us time to unpack and place the items we transported ourselves. It seems so much more relaxed and then we wouldn't have the huge mess we had in our apartment, with boxes everywhere. (*Wish I could remember that poster's name to thank him/her.)

Our moved turned out to be basically two moves-a week apart. If it was planned, it would have been ok. But, the movers TRIED to do it all in one day which just didn't happen. Having that week in between let us unpack some things. However, there were some things we couldn't unpack because part of it was still at the other house. I wish they would have brought the rugs in the first move. We couldn't set things up because the rugs weren't down. So my advice is if you have rugs, make sure they are in the first load.

Cat

Old 05-21-2014, 10:31 AM

54 posts, read 73,651 times
Wow everyone has so much accomplished! And bravo on new neighbors helping out!
I don't have any advice to give yet! But I hope to share my wisdom once the move happens!

Yesterday, I gave my boss my two weeks notice two weeks early since we have a wonderful working relationship. I want to give my boss and our department the easiest transition. I am going to miss working here.

Knowing I'll be moving, I'm trying my hardest to NOT buy anything. But it is SOOOO hard. I've donated and thrown out a lot of clothes and shoes but added three new clothes to my closest. Very difficult to avoid... I work in the city and shopping is everywhere. I do my best to not walk there. Plus, I have a wedding coming up so this isn't helping! Since it'll be a three day weekend, I'm going to continue clearing out my closest of clothes/shoes I no longer wear. I'm one month away from my packing date and one month and two weeks from my departure date. I am shipping all my stuff via UPS and flying down there with extra checked luggage! Since first two bags are free to check and a carry on.

I am so excited!

Old 05-21-2014, 10:58 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,258,658 times
Excited for you all. Restrain, that is wonderful you have nice neighbors. Fire up the grill and invite them when the dust settles.

Dhanto, your checked bag plan sounds excellent.

MMbryant, I hope AZ has more of what you are looking for economically.

Mom and I agreed there is no rush to ship my late Aunt's belongings as Mom might be moving, so I am going to box it all up to ship and stash it until the time comes.

The living room looks like a rummage sale

Old 05-21-2014, 12:19 PM

4,496 posts, read 3,877,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantotto View Post

Knowing I'll be moving, I'm trying my hardest to NOT buy anything. But it is SOOOO hard. I've donated and thrown out a lot of clothes and shoes but added three new clothes to my closest. Very difficult to avoid... I work in the city and shopping is everywhere. I do my best to not walk there. Plus, I have a wedding coming up so this isn't helping! Since it'll be a three day weekend, I'm going to continue clearing out my closest of clothes/shoes I no longer wear. I'm one month away from my packing date and one month and two weeks from my departure date. I am shipping all my stuff via UPS and flying down there with extra checked luggage! Since first two bags are free to check and a carry on.

I am so excited!
I'm with you on not buying things. I actually stood in the grocery store trying to decide if I really needed ketchup!

And my hubby and DD are flying Southwest and they are each taking two full bags.

Good for you.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM

128 posts, read 125,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

MMbryant, I hope AZ has more of what you are looking for economically.
I hope so too. We live in an area where the oilfield boom has driven housing prices sky high but most people here work service industry and its harder to find affordable housing.

I don't know how many of you have moved entire houses. The work involved sounds overwhelming. I think I am just going to become a minimalist! Haha.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:06 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,258,658 times
Yes, I've heard people are leaving for Texas in droves, which is driving prices up.

I hear you on the minimalist thing. I probably won't ever be one of them, but I'm sure as heck not gonna have as much junk as we have here come th move.

I'm sure DH can make do with ten classic tractors, not eighteen. And I certainly don't need a hundred pieces of milk glass to appreciate it's beauty!

Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 PM

6,864 posts, read 6,942,389 times
Default Moving in 2 Different Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Our moved turned out to be basically two moves-a week apart. If it was planned, it would have been ok. But, the movers TRIED to do it all in one day which just didn't happen. Having that week in between let us unpack some things. However, there were some things we couldn't unpack because part of it was still at the other house. I wish they would have brought the rugs in the first move. We couldn't set things up because the rugs weren't down. So my advice is if you have rugs, make sure they are in the first load.

Cat
Thanks for the good advice!!
-Staywarm2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues