Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 01:14 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times

Advertisements

I used to, but mostly repairs; Mom is the seamstress in the family. Behind me sits a beautiful Singer from the 90's that has all kinds of bells and whistles. I had to find out how to thread the thing on the internet.

OMG moving from the NE in February? Hopefully you won't be snowed in. Probaby not. Are you in a house? It looks like it.

I wish I could do the pods thing but nobody comes this far out. There was an older couple in 'town' that had a garage sale all spring and summer, they were moving to Fort Walton Beach. We would go by every Friday on the way to the chiropractor and the Escalade was parked in the same spot for weeks.

Then, about a month ago, the big North American Van Lines truck was parked on the front lawn while loaders brought stuff on. They made it. And these folks were not young or very healthy; she was almost morbidly obese and he was no Tarzan, probably early 60's.

Heck, if they did it, we can, no?

Old 12-11-2013, 01:46 PM

362 posts, read 645,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I used to, but mostly repairs; Mom is the seamstress in the family. Behind me sits a beautiful Singer from the 90's that has all kinds of bells and whistles. I had to find out how to thread the thing on the internet.

OMG moving from the NE in February? Hopefully you won't be snowed in. Probaby not. Are you in a house? It looks like it.

I wish I could do the pods thing but nobody comes this far out. There was an older couple in 'town' that had a garage sale all spring and summer, they were moving to Fort Walton Beach. We would go by every Friday on the way to the chiropractor and the Escalade was parked in the same spot for weeks.

Then, about a month ago, the big North American Van Lines truck was parked on the front lawn while loaders brought stuff on. They made it. And these folks were not young or very healthy; she was almost morbidly obese and he was no Tarzan, probably early 60's.

Heck, if they did it, we can, no?
Ain't it the truth sista friend. Let's just hope we (and our belongings) make it in one piece

Old 12-11-2013, 04:28 PM

What lead to TN choice, parents?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
What lead to TN choice, parents?
It just seemed right my parents are here 3 minutes from me. They are following us probably 6 months behind.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:02 PM

That's so cool. Me and my Mom are tight, well as of this nights phone call we are, and when Dad passed last year it was like, man, we gotta get outta here.

Dad offered to buy me a business a dozen times to get us down there (FL) but we had good jobs at the time, were younger and life was good.

Now, DH is retired and has a bad hip. The house is two story and on a hill. Getting in and out of the tub kills his hip. It's not a good place any more. This summer he ran over his leg with a tractor and I couldn't hear the screams for help. This year has been a wake up call.

You are so fortunate to be so close. We are working on it. Cherish every day.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:47 AM

Ugh, just learned my closing is on Feb 1, 2014. So not ready!!!! But I'm still packing 2 boxes a day (while working my business)
How is everyone else out there doing? How is your move going!

Old 12-17-2013, 06:05 AM

Wow, that's good news. Don't worry, it will happen.

We're on hold again, Mom is rethinking staying in Miami and possibly looking at Jupiter. She would still be close to friends in Miami but the onslaught of foreigners buying up is changing the landscape. She is a lifelong learner so she wants to be close to colleges and amenities. Miami is growing so fast it's not going to be the same in ten years. We'll see.

We do know that we won't be moving in the dead of winter so that gives us precious time to further pare down. I am still plugging away extraneous posessions on Ebay and donating to the Salvation Army, as well as friends.

Shots, do you have a place picked out? The Pods are perfect for you, built in storage facility. Yeah it's pricey but it gives you time.

-11F here BTW.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Wow, that's good news. Don't worry, it will happen.

We're on hold again, Mom is rethinking staying in Miami and possibly looking at Jupiter. She would still be close to friends in Miami but the onslaught of foreigners buying up is changing the landscape. She is a lifelong learner so she wants to be close to colleges and amenities. Miami is growing so fast it's not going to be the same in ten years. We'll see.

We do know that we won't be moving in the dead of winter so that gives us precious time to further pare down. I am still plugging away extraneous posessions on Ebay and donating to the Salvation Army, as well as friends.

Shots, do you have a place picked out? The Pods are perfect for you, built in storage facility. Yeah it's pricey but it gives you time.

-11F here BTW.
Well ,here's the thing. I pestered my husband like crazy when we were preparing the house to put on the market complaining it would never be ready for January. He kept telling me "don't worry, it will be done". and it was done way ahead of schedule.
He made me promise not to bother him about all the other details as far as moving companies, apartment, looking for houses.......well, it's killing me literally.
There is so much to do and now there really isn't that much time. I couldn't contain my stress at times and went after him and he got upset (with just cause). I know he will take care of everything as usual. He's so responsible but he says he is stressed and nervous too and doesn't need me adding anymore.

We signed the contract last night and the whole night I was on and off crying because I am just so nervous. I'm an empath so I absorb energy and have a very sensitive system. When I feel any kind of stress or negativity, my physical body responds (usually badly).

I'm really trying to stay focused. I know I should be meditating more but right now trying to take care of my business which is slightly stressful. I do everything with my business. I'm a "one woman" show. Trying to figure out the best time to shut down shop but I still have orders coming in.
Going to be heading down to my studio shortly to start another full day of sewing.

OK, so now that you know all my details (TMI), well at least you are not in a rush-rush. That really gives you time to sort through everything.

Advice, really think about your furniture because I now have a month to sell off pieces I thought I was going to take with me. I should have done this much sooner anticipating the time it would take. Now if I can't sell, I might have to give away which is killing me.

And yes, I do think we will be using pods.

Hey, can anyone tell me what the best way to secure/wrap 6' tall Nutcrackers? I'm crazy about nutcrackers and so worried about my large ones but don't know how to pack.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:01 AM

Deep breaths, Shots, you can only do one thing at a time, focus on what you have accomplished and not the unknowns down the road. Let DH be your rock if he is.

Let your work be your meditation. It will keep you grounded. You will live through this. Not well, probably ragged edge, but you will.

The nutcrackers are perfect candidates for comforters and blankets for padding. If you can snag a refridgerator box it might fit them.

Packing peanuts-I get mine at the UPS store, a five foot tall three foot wide bag is 34 dollars with tax.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:02 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
I interviewed a moving company today, should get their estimate tomorrow or the next day. This company comes very highly recommended, both on Angie's List and by a friend who used them for his move last year.

Moving date is now planned for Feb. 3.

And I had to partially unpack one of the boxes I so carefully packed in the past week. I had packed my hair straightening iron, which I hardly ever use, but today I decided I HAD to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues