U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:32 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,694,472 times

Advertisements

Okay, this morning we cleaned out one room of the house. I will go over to the new place, and clean, and set up my daughters room today.

Tomorrow, we are cleaning out the office. And the living room.

The "big" purge was two months ago...this is the second go around.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:25 PM

9,066 posts, read 9,494,503 times
I cleared out my linen/toiletry closet and started getting rid of food that I know I won't eat before my move (half boxes of pasta, etc.) Filled the recycling wheelie bin almost to top getting rid of half empty bottles of shampoo, etc.

I also pulled files off and wiped the hard drive of an old computer that I will drop off to be recycled.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:36 PM

150 posts, read 279,091 times
I cleaned most of the kitchen cabinets at new house, construction dust everywhere. Hubby installed lights in laundry room, capped the chimney and built platform for washer and dryer. Also got another load moved in car, and picked up microwave to be installed tomorrow. Wanted to get more done, but had two birthday parties today. Saturday is moving day.

Great thread for motivation. Moving is difficult.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:27 PM

Today:

Copied photos and music off a other old PC.

Cleaned out 2 closets and got a box packed. Filled my big trash and recycling wheelie bins in the process. Found a friend who wants my Xmas trees (will pick up Tuesday)

I have about and a half weeks until moving day, and so far I feel pretty good about it. I did a major purge a year ago and have very little stuff anymore. Once moving week gets here I am pretty confident I can pack up what is left to take in a day.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,694,472 times
I procrastinated. Dragging my feet. I am getting more motivated. This move is just sort of sad. For many reasons. But I am putting on my happy face, and going to focus on being more positive.

New, fresh start.

It is just difficult to go from a large home to a small apartment. 20 cupboards in the kitchen to five. Just trying to wrap my head around it all.

I have purged the house twice already. Which is good.

This move is all me, SO is still recovering from his heart attack. I think I will get a pretty Christmas tree and put it up. Embrace the holidays this year.

Okay, plan for week, is to empty storage unit. One load a day. And go through it. Oh, and if things are not crazy enough, I am going on a trip in the middle of the month!

Old 11-03-2013, 08:59 PM

150 posts, read 279,091 times
Today got all the baseboards washed, walls dusted down, 12 windows washed, then came back and started packing sons room. Got around 10 boxes done. It was a productive day. Also took a load up to new house.

It is so nice to have the luxury of moving over a few weeks.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:14 AM

I am taking almost nothing. What I am taking I am shipping UPS. SO, I decide if it is worth it to ship. If it will cost me $50 to ship something I can buy for $30? It stays behind.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:17 AM

7,402 posts, read 12,935,643 times
Have you taken care of your change of address? Easily done online these days. And something that was a life saver for our last move was space bags. It's amazing how much you can pack in those things then vacuum all the air out. Takes up a lot less space!

Old 11-04-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Have you taken care of your change of address? Easily done online these days. And something that was a life saver for our last move was space bags. It's amazing how much you can pack in those things then vacuum all the air out. Takes up a lot less space!
I did my change of address online on Saturday.

Thanks for the reminder about the space bags! I was going to get some and forgot.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 PM

228 posts, read 592,071 times
Oh man, this is the thread for me.

Having difficulty getting motivated here. We have 6 weeks until a really complicated move (international, with a stop at a second European country for the holidays) that we are doing on our own. Well, my parents are helping at stages, but its up to us to get going here, and we have both been absolutely flattened with colds/flu for the last few weeks. Its frustrating to be laying in bed thinking about what you should/could be doing and not have the energy!

I have been purging/sorting since the summer, and now we are planning for our big moving sale in two weeks. Gotta round things up, sort, and price for the sale. Need to make a list of certain items with prices to send around to friends/family first. Have a bunch of things to craigslist as they are specialty items worth some cash. Have to start boxing up things that will be shipped next summer, things that will go in suitcases in December, things that will go USPS now to friends in new country.

Sort Sort Sort.... throw throw throw.

So I have a strategy to attack this problem but now its dark when I get home from work and its just easier to procrastinate for another day. Then I go to work and hate what I am doing and wish I could be at home packing. Meh.

I know - I will start small with two boxes full of pens that don't work. And then move around stuff on basement shelves into one side Sell and one side Pack. Yes - that I can do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues