U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:18 AM

24,676 posts, read 23,640,340 times

Advertisements

Put stickers on the 25 cent items. If a small item doesn't have a sticker, then it's a dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 09:19 AM

17,632 posts, read 11,038,848 times
Yes, price everything. When I go to a swap meet or garage sale with no prices I walk away. Otherwise you have to keep asking "What do you want for this ?"

Don

Old 11-06-2013, 04:25 PM

4,350 posts, read 5,866,922 times
I know, I was shocked when I visited a couple yard sales (I haven't had one in years so I wanted to check them out) and there were no prices. I thought maybe this was the "new thing". I talked to a friend and she said, "Why should I put prices on everything, when people don't want to pay that price anyway?". She says she makes it up on the fly based on how the person looks (whether they have money or not). There is NO WAY I could do that! First off, to have to keep getting interrupted with questions, plus how do you remember what you said when the person comes up with a bunch of items to pay for? Thank you for all the great suggestions. I just bought some colored dots and K-Mart. Also, I'm glad you said people like rummaging through boxes for the quarter items, Ella, that will make it easier for me than having to put everything on display. I wasn't planning on writing everything down, as I'll start with a certain amount and at the end of the day, I'll be able to figure out if I made any money. And I'm glad I kept my old fanny packs!

Old 11-06-2013, 04:59 PM

9,000 posts, read 9,427,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I know, I was shocked when I visited a couple yard sales (I haven't had one in years so I wanted to check them out) and there were no prices. I thought maybe this was the "new thing". I talked to a friend and she said, "Why should I put prices on everything, when people don't want to pay that price anyway?". She says she makes it up on the fly based on how the person looks (whether they have money or not). There is NO WAY I could do that! First off, to have to keep getting interrupted with questions, plus how do you remember what you said when the person comes up with a bunch of items to pay for? Thank you for all the great suggestions. I just bought some colored dots and K-Mart. Also, I'm glad you said people like rummaging through boxes for the quarter items, Ella, that will make it easier for me than having to put everything on display. I wasn't planning on writing everything down, as I'll start with a certain amount and at the end of the day, I'll be able to figure out if I made any money. And I'm glad I kept my old fanny packs!
My job is accounting so I like to write it all down then see if I balance. Good luck!!!

Old 11-09-2013, 02:31 PM

4,350 posts, read 5,866,922 times
OK, FINALLY, the gigantic moving yard sale is done! And I am $702 richer (after deducting my seed money)! Here are my general observations:

I didn't have any real problems. I did have some earlybirds, but I had neighbors here helping me set up so it wasn't too much of a problem. I didn't have anyone knocking on the door last night. I didn't put the directional signs up until the actual start of the sale -- I had my son take the car and do it, so I wouldn't have to leave.

I got the "counterfeit detector" pen and discreetly used it a few times, especially when a woman gave me a hundred-dollar bill. Have you seen the new 100's? They look counterfeit at first glance, until you see the hologram. But she was buying $80-worth of merchandise, so she didn't have a lot of reason to give me a phony bill. (And she was one of the ones who paid full-price without asking for a bulk discount!)

I am fascinated by the people-watching. Many pay full price without bargaining (I didn't have much priced over $10 though, so they were getting good bargains.) Some offer $5 on a $10 item and walk away when I don't budge....then, surprise, they come back 'cause they were just testing me. There was only one woman who really was ridiculous in what she was asking. She kept nitpicking every item, no matter how small. So she offered $10 on a $30 mirror (worth $120 in Pier 1 right now) -- I said $25 and she went to call her husband....then someone else came and I sold it to them -- HA!

I have improved my negotiating skills by watching Pawn Stars. Last yard sale, I would pretty much take what people offered. Now I bargain, even if it's only a couple extra dollars. And it really helps knowing the market value of the items, even though it took a lot of research time. I almost totally underpriced some tools, ladders and snow shovels, before I checked out the current prices.

It DEFINITELY helped putting the colored dots on the $.25 and $1 items (thanks for the suggestion!). I had originally put them in a basket marked $.25 or $1 for each item, but I realized I'd get totally confused when people checked out with multiple items as I wouldn't know which basket they had come from. It was time-consuming, but saved me a lot of aggravation.

The "free" box was a good attraction. The funniest incident was when a woman asked if the free toilet plunger "worked". Yes, let me go clog up my toilet so I can prove it to you, LOL!

I advertised 9-3, but for the last half-hour, no one was coming. Just as we were packing up, someone came and I sold my market umbrella, which was heavy and going to be a pain to get rid of. Got an extra $15.

I really didn't have much left over. I let the neighbors take whatever they could use, in appreciation for all their help today. It was a chilly but sunny day, and we really had a fun time. And now, my long-overdue NAP!

Old 11-10-2013, 08:52 PM

4,126 posts, read 13,248,887 times
GLad it went well. I went to a sale yesterday and was a bit annoyed, after finding the place, the guy was sitting in the middle of his driveway surrounded with plastic bins w/ heaps of clothes - nothing priced - sheesh, what a waste, I coudlnt be bothered going over all the clothes but was hoping for some typical things one usually sees at these sales - books etc (I think his ad said computer items) - the one positive thing was that there was another sale down the block that wasnt advertised so I got to go to that one and while I didnt get much at all, it was a ton better organized and nicer than the first one. Here no signs are allowed (they take them down) so you really have to plan your route carefully - am finally learning the area and to use my Garmin/gps but I generally stick to a 5 mile radius of my house. Have found it's hit or miss and best to get there early as some even start at 7 and end around 12 given the heat

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 11-10-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 11-16-2013, 08:30 AM

228 posts, read 590,666 times
We are doing this at least once here - everything must go sort of a situation.

Avalon - did you do this inside? We are in a cold climate like you and running out of time before it snows, I was thinking of going the "estate sale" sort of route with the living room and kitchen open only for people (we have doors to block off the rest of the house). I get the concern of having people case the house, but if they want to steal my cathode ray tube tv I got free, they are welcome to do so! :P

Lots of good tips in this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues