Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 05:38 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,122 times

Advertisements

LOL, the last time I moved, had 2 months to prepare, my husband was deployed, I was working full time, going to school and managed to get everything done with no problem.

Now - my husband no longer works, I work full time, we've known about this move for....5 months or so....and we are still not done packing. This is a long distance move from Virginia to Vermont. The good news is that Old Dominion Freight is dropping the trailer in front of our townhouse tomorrow (and we received HOA approval and that we will have all weekend to load it. Why am I so nervous?

I still have the kitchen to pack (which I have been waiting on doing)...but I will also still be 'living here' for a couple of months....so, some things get packed, some, don't.... I'm trying to figure out what heck the problem is in getting packed! I still have the office to pack....waiting until the last minute to take the hermit crabs out of the tank. We have 10 cats (work in cat rescue) that have to go who haven't been adopted! Auuughhhhh!

And - I am working today! Geez.... Feeling a bit overwhelmed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 05:57 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
It'll get done, that's how I pack too. Some people start way in advance and are ready without a panic, that's just a differing personality type. Do your best to stay calm and go at your pace, you'll get it done! As a cat lover myself kudos for taking all 10 cats with you, sadly many would just dump them like unwanted household items as evidenced by the number of strays and shelter cats.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 AM

Thanks kyle19125. As much as I would prefer not taking the 10 cats with me, those little buggers rely on us to do what is best for them (and don't get me wrong, I love them all). Our league is overwhelmed (as most leagues are) and we all have more cats than we would like. I've had more and I've had less. But - we knew this day was coming and whoever we had left, we knew we would be taking no matter how difficult the situation. I definitely won't pat myself on the back for this, but thank you. I just believe it is the right thing to do. I never want to have this many again and thankfully after the move will be taking a break from rescue with the exception of the ones we already have.

As for packing....you are right, everything will get done. Now, If I could just stay focused at work and try and get out of here soon!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Get those kitties to work!

Just throw stuff in boxes. Everyone makes a big deal out of moving, like you have to be organized. Forget it. You take stuff from one place to another.

Throw on jeans, put your hair in a pony, and crank up the music. Party time. Just get it all in the van. Don't worry about anything else.

Put the kitties in a room, they tend to get upset when things are changing.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:19 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
I am waiting till the last minute to pack on purpose. I work better with a short deadline. You'll be okay. It will get done. Good luck!

And thank you for helping the kitties!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:23 AM

jasper12 - I think that is part of the issue. The last time, it was just me packing and I threw all the clothes into garbage bags, etc. This time, my husband is packing 'his' clothes nicely and neatly in rubbermaid containers, etc., etc. When I told him to just throw his stuff in a bag....well, he said there was no way he could do it.

I am definitely putting the kitties in the master bedroom with two kitty trees that we will disassemble. The hard part is that we are going to have an empty house for a week until we head up and the truck arrives. I'm going to put out boxes and blankets and the two kitty trees and we are keeping the tv with their birds DVD to watch (since a few of them love it).

Couple more hours of work and I'm going home to pack! Thanks for the encouragement and for listening!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:38 AM

Ok, I can hardly keep my eyes open....but I thought I'd give an update. Thank you so much for the encouragement....It was A LOT of work and I can't believe how many boxes I packed up in the kitchen....and a few other various rooms of the house when I didn't think it would be that much. But - it is done...I'm not sure how it happened. Thank god for some help from friends with the loading - couldn't have done it without them. Now, we (cats included) are sleeping on the floor in sleeping bags until sometime Saturday when we make our way north. And I am back at work for the week...but utterly exhausted and wish I could crawl back into the sleeping back on the floor. If I stay still for too long - I get very stiff Once again - thanks for the encouragement!

Old 11-12-2013, 06:36 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
I think moving is an excuse to purge the collection of possessions..........haven't used it in awhile, get rid of it! Less work to pack it/unpack it later if you get rid of stuff now!

I have dreams about throwing stuff away and moving to a Pottery Barn type home (bed/dresser/nightstand an a few pictures on the walls simplicity). I hate over decoration and sometimes living in a place for years the clutter seems to look normal. I had 2 cars in the garage, now I might be able to squeeze one in there, too much junk!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Good work! I knew once you got started it would go fast!

Best of luck to you!

Old 11-12-2013, 09:25 AM

544 posts, read 610,368 times
Throw a lot of the crap away. I hate when people hoard junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues