Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times

Advertisements

Here's the situation. A position opened up in my husbands field in one of our favorite towns in NH. We previously lived there in a town we hated and moved back to Fla 6 years ago, we haven't been happy and took a $7 an hour paycut to come back. We both want to raise our daughter up there (New England) so anyways this position opened up 3 days ago and it would be a $20,000 a year raise from what he's making now. It would take roughly 6 months to get hired so we would have a little time but it would still be a quick thing. We know the area, schools etc etc so all we would have to do is find a place to live. Here's the catch. My husband is in school here (all online) and had planned on attending a University here after his graduation from his associates in the Spring of next year.

So, Would you consider the move for the raise and hold off a year to start your B.A. so you could pay in-state prices or hold off on the position and wait 2 years? Can't figure out the right choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 07:40 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
A position opened up in my husbands field in one of our favorite towns in NH.
...and it would be a $20,000 a year raise from what he's making now.
How unusual is this?
If you pass on it... will another/similar position open again within 3, or 6, or 12 months?

Quote:
My husband is in school here (all online)...
Is that with a real college?
How many credits does he have now?
How many by the end of December?

Are the credits transferable to a real college?
How about to a real college in New Hampshire?
How many NH schools have you contacted?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:49 AM

24,533 posts, read 10,859,092 times
What is the difference between the town you hated and the one the potential employment is in?

What out of the 20k increase will go to pre-paid moving expenses from gas, moving, deposits, drivers licenses, car tags, ...? Claiming the move on your tax return - what will you come out with for the first year, for the next year?

Is the on-line school accredited, can he move his credits to a brick and mortar school in NH? Some schools do not require one year in state. Have you checked into it?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How unusual is this?
If you pass on it... will another/similar position open again within 3, or 6, or 12 months?

Is that with a real college?
How many credits does he have now?
How many by the end of December?

Are the credits transferable to a real college?
How about to a real college in New Hampshire?
How many NH schools have you contacted?

this position hasn't opened in the 3 years we've looked at this city.. we only just found out 2 hours ago so no schools contacted yet. I don't know the exact number of credits only that he will have his associates the latest Spring of next year. All this is to be discussed today.. I guess we aren't sure if this is worth the consideration. Positions in his field for this pay rarely open. I mean usually once people have this job its a life job 30+ years because the benefits , retirement, medical etc are top notch.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
IMO it is a no brainer. You want to move up to New England, the positions rarely open up and it's a raise! I am sure the credits will transfer somewhere.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What is the difference between the town you hated and the one the potential employment is in?

What out of the 20k increase will go to pre-paid moving expenses from gas, moving, deposits, drivers licenses, car tags, ...? Claiming the move on your tax return - what will you come out with for the first year, for the next year?

Is the on-line school accredited, can he move his credits to a brick and mortar school in NH? Some schools do not require one year in state. Have you checked into it?

The town we lived in was 15 mins from Vermont, very small in the mountains, closest mall was over an hour away type place. This one is Seacoast NH, closer to Boston and a city with LOTS of culture, museums , transportation etc. My husband currently attends a State University he's just lucky enough to have all his classes all online this semester and they are transferable, all of them.. We JUST discovered this 3 hours ago so trying to look into all our options right now!

Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Hubby said he'll inquire about it but naturally all depends on what they say, how long the hire process is going to be (each dept is different but in dealing with 2 others average is about 6 months so thats what we anticipate) and how they deal with out of state hires etc. A lot to think about but its nice to have this option on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues