U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:03 PM

4,839 posts, read 9,662,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You would have to put a gun to my head to make me live in a rual area.
I think the ideal town for most families is a semi-rural environment which is also close to a major city, close to the beach, close to the shopping, close to the mountains, etc, etc. Of course that's why these types of suburbs are so expensive and hard to come by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 01:04 PM

239 posts, read 526,539 times
That is one of the reasons we will be moving. While house prices have dropped greatly, they are not low enough to get what we want and still have a decent-sized yard attached to it. But there are a whole lot of other factors too, not just the prices.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:38 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,460,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You would have to put a gun to my head to make me live in a rual area.
I thought the same thing, but here I am, in the middle of nowhere. I have a real love-hate relationship with it.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:01 PM

17,889 posts, read 54,207,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
America is big and wide, and for example, if you live in an area that costs too much, your struggling, and of course, if its this hard for you, your kids and grandkids will suffer even more by the time they become adults since the area you live in is going to get even more expensive.

im asking this because where i am living, its slowly creeping up, and one of my friends live in an area that is so expensive that he can never buy a home in his lifetime, unless he becomes a doctor. i mean, its bad for the next generation if he doesn't move out now.

so if it was you, would you stay knowing that you will sooner or later have to move out, or would you move?
I respectfully disagree with the forced move of this thread to general moving, as it IS a personal finance issue faced by many people who have no intention of moving, and don't yet consider that an option. I'm not talking through my hat, I've met MANY people like that. Moving the thread instead of simply creating a second one in this forum denies the ease of finding a discussion to those people seeking financial options and a way out of their location enforced poverty.

I've been forced into a decision to "vote with my feet" and move more than once. About 3/4 or more of the native-born Vermonters end up life being expatriate due to high living costs, limited employment opportunities and low wages. Even people who own homes outright can get forced out, to say nothing of the generational farmers who can trace their land back a couple hundred years.

If anything, the thread would find a better home in a sociology forum, since it addresses cultural population shifts. When we moved to south Florida, costs were somewhat high, but not yet excessive. Over time, it became apparent that the costs of living was outstripping the abilities of many residents to keep up. In response, the "save our homes" amendment was enacted, limiting tax increases on property taxes that would otherwise have forced moves and bankruptcies by retirees. It only partly worked, as the windstorm insurance rates and requirements and auto insurance rates have become equally burdensome. At the end of the real estate boom, when I went to the supplier who supplied shipping boxes for my computer sales, there was a steady stream of older customers buying packing boxes to move to the Carolinas or Tennessee.

Young people don't know it yet, but the chances of their having at least one physical move based on economic conditions is even more likely than those experienced by the past generations.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:29 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,825,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Rents are increasing at dizzying rates in major cities throughout the nation. In Boston for example, many families have been forced out of both the city and all the immediate suburbs because rents have increased by at least 50% in the past decade, whereas salaries have been stagnant. The result is, families are forced to move to distant suburbs to afford housing.

civic94: if you live in a city that's experiencing a downtown renaissance, you have to ask yourself this: is it worth it to keep living in the city or in a nice immediate suburb? if you want to stay in the general area and really want to buy a house, you may need to move 1 hour or more away from the city.

I have lived in Boston before, now in Seattle. I have friends in nyc and Hawaii. i think Boston as it is now, for an average family, its very hard to live in a 2 br place that is not dangerous. you would have to be on government support to do so. I've heard from my friend that used to live in Hawaii, he just said that many of his childhood friends have left because its too expensive to start a family there.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,882,815 times
The problem is that cities are where a lot, if not most, of the jobs are located. Of course there are specially trained people who can work anywhere, but most people have general skills. They have to live in/near cities to get a job and thats where rents/home prices are more expensive. It puts people between a rock and a hard place.

One thing though is that some cities are less expensive than others. However, sometimes the cost to move is out of reach as well.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:36 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,882,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
i think Boston as it is now, for an average family, its very hard to live in a 2 br place that is not dangerous.
Exactly. I used to live in NYC during college and it was so expensive you had to stay in a less than desirable area or with roommates. I didnt feel the city itself justified the major sacrifice.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Rents are increasing at dizzying rates in major cities throughout the nation. In Boston for example, many families have been forced out of both the city and all the immediate suburbs because rents have increased by at least 50% in the past decade, whereas salaries have been stagnant. The result is, families are forced to move to distant suburbs to afford housing.

civic94: if you live in a city that's experiencing a downtown renaissance, you have to ask yourself this: is it worth it to keep living in the city or in a nice immediate suburb? if you want to stay in the general area and really want to buy a house, you may need to move 1 hour or more away from the city.
yes, i have read Boston forums and heard from friends where their rents are rising 150 per month every year, and there is no stopping. sure, you can move your family to a suburb, but then you have to pay more for car repair, gas, and the loss of time. but the problem now is that even the Boston suburbs are getting more expensive.

not every family can afford to live in a 2 bedroom "bad" area for 1,400 a month, or move to a 2 bedroom "bad area" suburb for 1,100 a month, but now you have commuting costs, on top of health insurance, food, utilities, etc.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 AM

23,651 posts, read 33,451,681 times
I love living in the DC area, but I have accepted that if my income doesn't significantly change in the next two or three years, I'm going to have to go elsewhere to survive. I pay $1100 for a studio apartment here and everyone thinks I got a steal. I'll consider Houston, Austin, or San Antonio at the top of my alternative list.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I love living in the DC area, but I have accepted that if my income doesn't significantly change in the next two or three years, I'm going to have to go elsewhere to survive. I pay $1100 for a studio apartment here and everyone thinks I got a steal. I'll consider Houston, Austin, or San Antonio at the top of my alternative list.

this.. this is the point that i was trying to make all along.

Last edited by civic94; 11-16-2013 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues