U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:04 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,648,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
America is big and wide, and for example, if you live in an area that costs too much, your struggling, and of course, if its this hard for you, your kids and grandkids will suffer even more by the time they become adults since the area you live in is going to get even more expensive.

im asking this because where i am living, its slowly creeping up, and one of my friends live in an area that is so expensive that he can never buy a home in his lifetime, unless he becomes a doctor. i mean, its bad for the next generation if he doesn't move out now.

so if it was you, would you stay knowing that you will sooner or later have to move out, or would you move?
i just moved from philly, this was partly the reason behind it. i lived in the city, sure i could have moved out to a suburb and spent 2 hrs commuting a day to and from work on the train just to be able to afford a house, NOT. living in the city is super expensive, rowhouses starting at 500k+ and going way up. cities are expensive, you get to park your sweet car on the street, oh and you get to pay to do that. city taxes, just lo live in the city was 4% of salary

you are correct, if you arent making a decent enough paycheck to not have to worry about these things, then you will realize at some point it is in your best interest to move. i did and im much much happier. look at consumer price index and cost of living calculators from city to city and state to state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 08:33 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,826,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post

you are correct, if you arent making a decent enough paycheck to not have to worry about these things, then you will realize at some point it is in your best interest to move. i did and im much much happier. look at consumer price index and cost of living calculators from city to city and state to state.

the thing is, if you do live in an expensive area like san fran, nyc, boston, DC, and so on, even if you are extremely smart, became a doctor and make 600k a year, have a nice 1 million dollar home... BUT... how about your kids? what if your kids are not smart to become a doctor? if your kids struggle, are you going to be happy? if they move will you move with them, since life is short and you want to be around your kids?

this is what happening to a friend of mines. his parents are in nyc, he is born and raised there. parents had very high paying jobs and can afford a good lifestyle for him, but the most he can make with all his brainpower and schooling is 80k per year (in his 30's now). 80k per year doesn't go very far in nyc as most people know it. home ownership for him is non existent.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:50 AM
MJ7

Quote:
the thing is, if you do live in an expensive area like san fran, nyc, boston, DC, and so on, even if you are extremely smart, became a doctor and make 600k a year, have a nice 1 million dollar home... BUT... how about your kids? what if your kids are not smart to become a doctor? if your kids struggle, are you going to be happy? if they move will you move with them, since life is short and you want to be around your kids?

this is what happening to a friend of mines. his parents are in nyc, he is born and raised there. parents had very high paying jobs and can afford a good lifestyle for him, but the most he can make with all his brainpower and schooling is 80k per year (in his 30's now). 80k per year doesn't go very far in nyc as most people know it. home ownership for him is non existent.
well many people fit in his category, they will commute 2 hrs a day to buy a house out in the burbs somewhere so they can have a home. others will simply live very cheaply, live with roomates etc., save a bunch of money and either A. finish their career in the city and retire elsewhere, or B. save up and find work and move to a place they can afford a better standard of living. if he makes 80k (which is 32k virtually everywhere else) i would advise him to move...but he could room with others if he wanted to stay in NYC. just tell him not to live in Manhattan, its crazy expensive

Old 11-16-2013, 09:33 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,826,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
well many people fit in his category, they will commute 2 hrs a day to buy a house out in the burbs somewhere so they can have a home. others will simply live very cheaply, live with roomates etc., save a bunch of money and either A. finish their career in the city and retire elsewhere, or B. save up and find work and move to a place they can afford a better standard of living. if he makes 80k (which is 32k virtually everywhere else) i would advise him to move...but he could room with others if he wanted to stay in NYC. just tell him not to live in Manhattan, its crazy expensive
he lives in one of the boroughs, and he his commute time is 1.5 hours each way already. yes, a person can finish their career in the city and retire somewhere else, but the problem is they raise their kids in the expensive area, and their kids will grow up in that environment, friends, etc. and then to move somewhere when you are retired and they are adults, they might not want to move.

I think this is the reason why i asked this question lol. the only things i see is less populated areas are cheaper, but the lack of good paying jobs/Jobs will make a family struggle, while areas with high paying jobs are too expensive, people have to deal with crime while living in a shoebox.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:25 AM
MJ7

Quote:
he lives in one of the boroughs, and he his commute time is 1.5 hours each way already. yes, a person can finish their career in the city and retire somewhere else, but the problem is they raise their kids in the expensive area, and their kids will grow up in that environment, friends, etc. and then to move somewhere when you are retired and they are adults, they might not want to move.

I think this is the reason why i asked this question lol. the only things i see is less populated areas are cheaper, but the lack of good paying jobs/Jobs will make a family struggle, while areas with high paying jobs are too expensive, people have to deal with crime while living in a shoebox.
well if they are concerned about being so close to family it is something they will need to figure out.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 AM

8,623 posts, read 6,257,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I pay extra for my condo with the ocean view here in Miami. I love it, one of the most satisfying places I have ever lived (and most satisfying in the US). Some people just put priotities on different things, my priority is to have a satisfying place to live.

I go out all of the time, it is my hobby. Money for me means nothing if I am not enjoying life. Some people just value going out and feel it is not wasitng money; entertianment is part of living. I work to make money to do things.

See, I could never live in an atmosphere that had such standards. I grew up in a very small town in the mid-west, hated every second of it.

You would have to put a gun to my head to make me live in a rual area.

You sound very young. Wait until you get older and all of the above don't mean as much. 20 years from now you will wish you stayed in your smaller town and saved the money you blew up to live what will turn out to be an unfulfilling life. that will start in a couple of years when immigration and ACA kick into gear full time.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,305,472 times
Either move or take advantage of the rental market and be a landlord. If you can't rent and save in the it is really pointless to be in that situation. I hear a lot of excuses about people not being able to buy because the homes are too expensive in a certain location. There is an expensive place called Manhattan Beach, next to Manhattan each are other cities Hawthorne, Lawndale, Redondo Beach, all offering opportunities without doctor's salaries. To each their own.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:03 PM

7,495 posts, read 9,771,784 times
I might have to do that at some point. I live in the Denver metro area and the cost of living seems to triple every year. I check out the cost of renting an apartment just for the fun of it and the costs of a standard one-bedroom apartment have gone up one-hundred dollars already from what I rented this place for last year, I'm not kidding.

I love the mountains, the desert, the ocean, the Midwest, etc. for all different unique reasons and though I'm not thrilled about cold weather I'm one of those people who could live anywhere and make it work and be happy if I had to. I'd love to move to Florida or Hawaii, seriously. But the cost of living in places like that is ridiculous, not to mention the cost of moving one's stuff all the way across the country (it's not an option for me to rent my own truck or drive my own stuff across the country).

At this point I'd go almost everywhere to get out of this overpriced prairie and I don't understand why people keep moving here especially with the economy the way it is everywhere, it just seems like there are better choices. I've considered moving to Tulsa, Oklahoma, Omaha, Nebraska, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, all places that I love just to get out of Denver. I have itchy feet lol.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:27 PM

15,556 posts, read 13,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You sound very young. Wait until you get older and all of the above don't mean as much. 20 years from now you will wish you stayed in your smaller town and saved the money you blew up to live what will turn out to be an unfulfilling life. that will start in a couple of years when immigration and ACA kick into gear full time.
Not old, but definitely not very young; I am around 40. What I wrote means a lot, and more and more every day; especially when I think how awful it was to live in a small town and to reside for a while in the bible belt.

Unfullfilling life to me would be wasting away in a small town with nothing to do, all in an effort to save money for some unknown purpose. If a blow $200 a night on drinks, all the better and happier.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:31 PM

7,495 posts, read 9,771,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not old, but definitely not very young; I am around 40. What I wrote means a lot, and more and more every day; especially when I think how awful it was to live in a small town and to reside for a while in the bible belt.

Unfullfilling life to me would be wasting away in a small town with nothing to do, all in an effort to save money for some unknown purpose. If a blow $200 a night on drinks, all the better and happier.
A lot of people feel that way. When I'm in the mood I drink and dance to my own music at home, but then again I'm an introvert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues