Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,612 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I wanted to get people's advice or opinions on this issue that I am having without too much of a fuss. So here it goes!

I currently live in Texas, by Louisiana and I hate it. It's just not for me. I have tried for years to make this work, and it just isn't working. People here to me seem to be close minded, segregated/racist, and wary of outsiders. In fact, if you are not from the area, some people will not even talk to you. The area is also highly conservative(I am a left leaning moderate btw).

The problem that I am having is that I am hispanic and I was considering moving to San Antonio. I have been to San Antonio plenty of times and I have always had fun there. However, I am scared now that I may end up around the same close minded people but just in a bigger city. . I really don't want that, I want to be around people that accept me for me regardless of who they are. I know that up in the northeast, around massachusetts and New York, there are a lot of liberal states. I don't want to live in NYC, but I have considered Boston. The thing with that is that there are nowhere near as many hispanics in Boston as there are in San Antonio, but the state as a whole is liberal vs Texas being conservative.

At this point, I am at a loss. I am just tired of the racism and blatant disrespect for other cultures. I know that no place is perfect, but I would like to go somewhere where I can fit in and be accepted. What would you do if you were in my shoes? Move to a place where political ideology would not be an issue at the sacrifice of not being many of your race? Or go to a place that celebrates more of your culture, but may not share your political views?

Old 11-15-2013, 11:16 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,160 times
Move to Houston, TX! Multi-cultural and very diverse, energy corridor, Galveston Port, oil, medical center.....there are so many reasons that I am headed back to the Houston area (The Woodlands).
San Antonio seems a little more forward thinking than wherever Louisiana.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Move to Houston, TX! Multi-cultural and very diverse, energy corridor, Galveston Port, oil, medical center.....there are so many reasons that I am headed back to the Houston area (The Woodlands).
San Antonio seems a little more forward thinking than wherever Louisiana.
You know, it's funny you put that, because I almost added this too that I was considering H town. While Houston is nice..it's still too close to east texas for my taste, but you are right, it is diverse, however, I do not work in the oil or medical industry. What were your reasons for moving back if I might ask?

On a side note, I found a website...one of those about.com websites..and the comments were so horrendous about houston that it kinda scared me. I mean so many people and so much anger. Are people like that irl? I know traffic can be a problem.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:38 AM

494 posts, read 1,609,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Hi everyone!

I wanted to get people's advice or opinions on this issue that I am having without too much of a fuss. So here it goes!

I currently live in Texas, by Louisiana and I hate it. It's just not for me. I have tried for years to make this work, and it just isn't working. People here to me seem to be close minded, segregated/racist, and wary of outsiders. In fact, if you are not from the area, some people will not even talk to you. The area is also highly conservative(I am a left leaning moderate btw).

The problem that I am having is that I am hispanic and I was considering moving to San Antonio. I have been to San Antonio plenty of times and I have always had fun there. However, I am scared now that I may end up around the same close minded people but just in a bigger city. . I really don't want that, I want to be around people that accept me for me regardless of who they are. I know that up in the northeast, around massachusetts and New York, there are a lot of liberal states. I don't want to live in NYC, but I have considered Boston. The thing with that is that there are nowhere near as many hispanics in Boston as there are in San Antonio, but the state as a whole is liberal vs Texas being conservative.

At this point, I am at a loss. I am just tired of the racism and blatant disrespect for other cultures. I know that no place is perfect, but I would like to go somewhere where I can fit in and be accepted. What would you do if you were in my shoes? Move to a place where political ideology would not be an issue at the sacrifice of not being many of your race? Or go to a place that celebrates more of your culture, but may not share your political views?
Depends on what you want out of life. While I value diversity, I'm willing to live in a non-diverse area if I can make freinds in area with people with similar outlooks on life and thinking. Not necessarily totally politically, but how they view the world. I'm black and I'm likely moving to Austin soon if my upcoming interview goes well. The fact that it's not as diverse as Houstan, has meant nothing to me. Rather, I'm more interested in meeting people like me there (I'm a geeky software dev who has found it hard to network with ppl outside of work here, because tech is not Louisiana's strong point at all). People will be racist, no matter where you go in this country. Some say, it's just more overt in the south, and subtle in the north. In either situation, I believe you either got to find a group of friends who accept you for who you are, or either be confident about who you are.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Question answered. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues