Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 06:04 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,454 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all! I got very lucky and got a job recently! It's in a different state and I need to start in two weeks. Luckily, my friend just moved to the same city so she's also looking for an apartment so finding a place to live/roommate isn't a big deal. And neither is moving all of my stuff, since I'm a college grad I can fit everything I own in my SUV.

What I will need help with is residency. What do I need to do? I know I need to get my car registered and my new license. Is there anything else? Also, I'll be renting, so I don't know if that makes a difference?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 06:47 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,906 times
Helps to know what city/state.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:53 PM

North Florida!

Old 11-22-2013, 07:33 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
I think you have to maintain a residence for 12 months before you can declare residency in that state, it's not as simple as just registering your vehicle and getting a new license, does not matter if renting or buying...I believe anyways (at least is was this way to register for college). I lived in Tampa for a number of years not too long ago, I would advise summer cloths, and mild fall clothes (for the short winter). Get used to the humidity and enjoy.

Good luck.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I think you have to maintain a residence for 12 months before you can declare residency in that state, it's not as simple as just registering your vehicle and getting a new license, does not matter if renting or buying...I believe anyways (at least is was this way to register for college). I lived in Tampa for a number of years not too long ago, I would advise summer cloths, and mild fall clothes (for the short winter). Get used to the humidity and enjoy.

Good luck.

Thank you! I graduated from FSU this year, so I'm definitely familiar with the humidity (and CONSTANT RAIN!!! lol), I just have no idea what to do in terms of getting all of my paperwork together.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:40 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Congratulations on getting a job! Are you moving back to Tallahassee, or somewhere else in North Florida? I hear of so many people who graduate from FSU and stay in Tallahassee.

I'm not sure why you're concerned about residency at this point, since you've already graduated from school so you don't have to worry about in-state tuition anymore.

But you establish residency by getting as many "indicia" of residency as you can: Get your car registered in your new location, and get your new drivers license. Get registered to vote at your new address. Have your mail forwarded to your new address. Get a library card at the Leon County Public Library. Open a checking account at a local bank or credit union. Do all those things that make it look as if you intend to stay in Florida for the foreseeable future.

And that constant rain of last July is long gone -- we're having a dry spell now in Tallahassee. But the humidity is pretty much a given.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
Thank you! I graduated from FSU this year, so I'm definitely familiar with the humidity (and CONSTANT RAIN!!! lol), I just have no idea what to do in terms of getting all of my paperwork together.
What paperwork?

I've moved from state to state. Just handle it as it happens.

Get a place to live. If you plan on making the location your "permanent" home and are going to drive, switch over your driver's license and car registration. You'll have to check the state's website on how to do that.

Register to vote, get a library card, etc. Take it one step at a time. Many cities now have a 311 number. You can call that number and get answers to your questions.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Congratulations on getting a job! Are you moving back to Tallahassee, or somewhere else in North Florida? I hear of so many people who graduate from FSU and stay in Tallahassee.

I'm not sure why you're concerned about residency at this point, since you've already graduated from school so you don't have to worry about in-state tuition anymore.

But you establish residency by getting as many "indicia" of residency as you can: Get your car registered in your new location, and get your new drivers license. Get registered to vote at your new address. Have your mail forwarded to your new address. Get a library card at the Leon County Public Library. Open a checking account at a local bank or credit union. Do all those things that make it look as if you intend to stay in Florida for the foreseeable future.

And that constant rain of last July is long gone -- we're having a dry spell now in Tallahassee. But the humidity is pretty much a given.
I'm moving back to Tallahassee! I'm from out of state though, so I'm totally unfamiliar with Florida residency status stuff.

I was in town for the July weather... that was awful. I HAD to take a break and go to Mississippi and New Orleans for a week to escape the depressing weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What paperwork?

I've moved from state to state. Just handle it as it happens.

Get a place to live. If you plan on making the location your "permanent" home and are going to drive, switch over your driver's license and car registration. You'll have to check the state's website on how to do that.

Register to vote, get a library card, etc. Take it one step at a time. Many cities now have a 311 number. You can call that number and get answers to your questions.
Ok cool, I've never moved out of state as an adult before so I just didn't know if there was any complicated long processes that I needed to be aware of.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:33 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
If you own the vehicle you will be registering in FL you will need the title, insurance, etc. FL as I know does not require an smog emissions test like other states. You will need to have two pieces of current mail with your new address in FL to register and obtain your FL driver's license. Typically they say to get this all done within 30 days of moving into a new state. However, if you have the same address in the old state, you can just continue to use it and pay your taxes in that state. This may save you some money on new ID, registration, and any taxes you might have to pay...but then again it could save you money if you switch to FL and it is cheaper (no property taxes - not sure if that is the case).

Usually this needs to happen:

1. Move, obtain new address
2. Change mailing address with USPS (do this online)
3. Change all address information with any and all businesses that you deal with: banks, loan providers, checks, mail, etc.
4. Establish billing to new residence: gas, electricity, cable, internet, etc.
5. Driver's license, vehicle registration, etc.
6. Update new employer with new address and contact information
7. Usually it is professionally salve to change your phone number to a local area code, so clients know it is someone in the area.
8. Get out and explore your new surroundings, but be safe. Many new graduates are not use to making decent money, and many just end up blowing a lot of it right off the bat...parties, women, etc. I'm not saying those things are bad, live it up, but budget your monthly bills so you have some for entertainment...live within your means.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
You won't need to do any of that stuff for a while. I live in Florida and every other car is from out of State. If you get stopped you say you are just in the process of getting settled here and only came a couple of weeks ago. Plus, we have so many snowbirds that are here 6 months and back north 6 months that the laws are pretty lenient.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues