U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2013, 08:10 PM
 
46 posts, read 66,087 times
Reputation: 89

Advertisements

It's funny how life turns out. I just sold my house on the 18th, my wife of thirty years divorced me on the same day, I sold or gave away a lifetime's worth of possessions, packed up what I couldn't do without in a used mini van and headed south out of Washington state. I'm 54 years old. I have no family or friends. Not sure what the future will bring. I know I must pull myself up and get on with it. Guess I'll head east, hug the gulf to stay south of the snow. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Life changes in a New York minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2013, 04:05 PM
 
9,014 posts, read 8,287,989 times
Reputation: 14429
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuousman View Post
It's funny how life turns out. I just sold my house on the 18th, my wife of thirty years divorced me on the same day, I sold or gave away a lifetime's worth of possessions, packed up what I couldn't do without in a used mini van and headed south out of Washington state. I'm 54 years old. I have no family or friends. Not sure what the future will bring. I know I must pull myself up and get on with it. Guess I'll head east, hug the gulf to stay south of the snow. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Life changes in a New York minute.
Life is unpredictable at times.
You're embarking on a new life; I admire your tenacity & willingness to walk away from the past & start over.
I'm in the same boat, actually....idk what the future holds, but I do know I need some major changes starting with my location & job.
Lol I wish I was actually on the road at the moment- I'm jealous
I'm about to give it a shot in the near future, though
Stay strong & follow your heart...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 04:55 PM
 
46 posts, read 66,087 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Life is unpredictable at times.
You're embarking on a new life; I admire your tenacity & willingness to walk away from the past & start over.
I'm in the same boat, actually....idk what the future holds, but I do know I need some major changes starting with my location & job.
Lol I wish I was actually on the road at the moment- I'm jealous
I'm about to give it a shot in the near future, though
Stay strong & follow your heart...
Thank you for the words of encouragement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 05:06 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,611,222 times
Reputation: 6514
ive been in a similar situation, more than once. each day the sun rises and falls regardless of what happens, you have to keep your head up and keep moving. i like your plan, the gulf is nice down there, and probably 100% different than the NW (i use to live in the south, and i miss its laid back life style). if i were in your shoes id look to settle somewhere in miss. or alabama...although florida is full of snow birds, people very similar to you.

good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 05:32 PM
 
46 posts, read 66,087 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
ive been in a similar situation, more than once. each day the sun rises and falls regardless of what happens, you have to keep your head up and keep moving. i like your plan, the gulf is nice down there, and probably 100% different than the NW (i use to live in the south, and i miss its laid back life style). if i were in your shoes id look to settle somewhere in miss. or alabama...although florida is full of snow birds, people very similar to you.

good luck.
True that. I never did fit in in the NW, like swimming upstream it felt. I feel a pull towards the southeast, almost like going home. My family originated from the northern Arkansas area. Curious why you suggest alabama or miss.? I hear the people are more congenial there. Down home hospitality and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 06:50 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,611,222 times
Reputation: 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuousman View Post
True that. I never did fit in in the NW, like swimming upstream it felt. I feel a pull towards the southeast, almost like going home. My family originated from the northern Arkansas area. Curious why you suggest alabama or miss.? I hear the people are more congenial there. Down home hospitality and all.
I just enjoyed Alabama and Mississippi more, less people quite frankly and of course you get the whole southern vibe still. Florida is nice, but it has a very large population. Those three states have low cost of living compared to WA, so that's a plus. You will just have to get used to the humidity. While I lived in FL there were people that simply could never get used to the humidity, they straight up hated it. If you find yourself missing mountains or colder winters look north to North Carolina or even South Carolina, both are nice states, and the Appalachians are a very nice area.

Take advantage of what the south has to offer and get outdoors, if you live near the gulf or coast, get out on the water. If you take your NW style to the SE you will probably hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 PM
 
18,856 posts, read 31,632,571 times
Reputation: 26110
Life does change quickly, be happy you have no stuff to tie you down any longer. I left my ex with nothing, I just wanted out. Enjoy some solitude, and a good road trip to find yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2013, 01:27 AM
 
Location: Ostend,Belgium....
8,823 posts, read 6,351,070 times
Reputation: 4885
Starting with nothing is the best way and since you're on your own, you don't have to consider anyone else but you. It sounds like a great thing to do, TBH. Just pack up and go and see where the road takes you! Best of luck, virtuousman!
__________________
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator : San Francisco-Oakland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2013, 09:10 AM
 
46 posts, read 66,087 times
Reputation: 89
All excellent advice and words of wisdom. I have made it to Kingman, Az behind the storm. What a beautiful area the southwest. Head towards alabama as someone wise here said. I am looking into joining Samaritan's Purse, the christian disaster team. They are helping those flooded out oct 31st in Texas. I need a purpose and this may be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2013, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Over here
281 posts, read 537,478 times
Reputation: 363
Good luck and congrats for looking forward and not dwelling. When I got divorced I also got rid of so much stuff. You realize after a while that "things" are not what makes this life...it's the experiences, the people who come and go, and the willingness to move on and start fresh. Good for you. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:17 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top