Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:17 AM

367 posts, read 694,266 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to relocate for about 2 years and I'm finally ready and able to. I have traveled and worked a few seasonal jobs out west .I really like it out there.But, I want to pick the right city.
I'm in my mid 40's single no kids. I don't have a real career. I have worked as a waitress ,in retail and some warehouses. I don't plan on going back to school ......it's a little to late in the game. I live very frugal ,not high maintenance by any means. I will live in a cheap studio and realize that I will be working for 8.00 hour. I'm just looking for a city or town that has low crime, cheap housing and has some middle age people.I do not want to roommate with anyone.I will also be moving with no job but with some savings. I'm no it's risky but, I'm a risk taker.I just can't take it here anymore.I'm tired of the crime and drug users in my area. I want a quite peaceful setting. I'm spiritual but, not real religious. I do go to church on occasion. Here are some areas I have considered because it seems to be cheaper .I would appreciate any feedback. I'm not interested in The east coast or down south. I'm pretty much a loner but, would like to meet new people for friendships. Eventually I would like to meet a nice man for dating.
I have been researching these states a lot. Montana ,Wyoming,Idaho ,South Dakota. I would consider Williston Nd but the housing options are unreal.
I would like info on how friendly ,accepting of newcomers, Cheap apartments, has the most middle aged people. I will also be relocating the first of year. Crazy right? I know taking my chances seeking employment right after the holidays......But, Starting fresh the beginning of 2014 is really important to me. Encouraging thoughts and ideas only.I do not need to be judged about how crazy this idea seems.

Last edited by missmc66; 12-01-2013 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 01:42 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,602,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmc66 View Post
I'm in my mid 40's single no kids.
I don't have a real career.
The city you choose won't matter

Old 12-02-2013, 07:16 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,454,236 times
It amazes me how many women are like me on this forum. I do not think what you want to do is crazy at all. I did the same thing last January but I moved to a place that is expensive. You live and learn. A couple of women like us moved to Phoenix, Arizona. They have a lot of call centers there. I am not familiar with any of the places that you are considering. However, I hear Montana is nice. I did a search for unemployment rates and all of the states that you are considering have very low unemployment. SD ranks #2. The only advice I can give you is to not underestimate the cost of living. Sometimes places are cheap for a reason. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 AM

11,037 posts, read 17,425,838 times
Quote:
I'm in my mid 40's single no kids. I don't have a real career. I have worked as a waitress ,in retail and some warehouses. I don't plan on going back to school ......it's a little to late in the game.
It's never too late to go back to school. When my son graduated from college last spring, there was a 68 year old very nice lady who graduated at the same time. Son said he heard she had a job in her field within a month of graduation.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:11 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,410,330 times
I agree that it's not at all too lae to go to school, if you want to.

Have you visited any of the places you mention? You'll want to do so before making a decision. Ask me how I know .

I wish you the best. Living in a place you love is wonderful.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:16 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,156,115 times
Quote:
I have been wanting to relocate for about 2 years and I'm finally ready and able to. I have traveled and worked a few seasonal jobs out west .I really like it out there.But, I want to pick the right city.
I'm in my mid 40's single no kids. I don't have a real career. I have worked as a waitress ,in retail and some warehouses. I don't plan on going back to school ......it's a little to late in the game. I live very frugal ,not high maintenance by any means. I will live in a cheap studio and realize that I will be working for 8.00 hour. I'm just looking for a city or town that has low crime, cheap housing and has some middle age people.I do not want to roommate with anyone.I will also be moving with no job but with some savings. I'm no it's risky but, I'm a risk taker.I just can't take it here anymore.I'm tired of the crime and drug users in my area. I want a quite peaceful setting. I'm spiritual but, not real religious. I do go to church on occasion. Here are some areas I have considered because it seems to be cheaper .I would appreciate any feedback. I'm not interested in The east coast or down south. I'm pretty much a loner but, would like to meet new people for friendships. Eventually I would like to meet a nice man for dating.
I have been researching these states a lot. Montana ,Wyoming,Idaho ,South Dakota. I would consider Williston Nd but the housing options are unreal.
I would like info on how friendly ,accepting of newcomers, Cheap apartments, has the most middle aged people. I will also be relocating the first of year. Crazy right? I know taking my chances seeking employment right after the holidays......But, Starting fresh the beginning of 2014 is really important to me. Encouraging thoughts and ideas only.I do not need to be judged about how crazy this idea seems.
Well, since you don't want to be "judged", I'll just say, "Good luck". I think you will need it.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:56 PM

24 posts, read 139,899 times
It's much cheaper to move during the winter, per moving costs and at the same time you will find more flats as most of the cities you're mentioning get a lot of college students for fall.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:58 PM

24 posts, read 139,899 times
I hope this article helps!!!

Moving in the winter is a good idea?

Well, yes it is.

winter moving in Chicago

And no, I’m not crazy. Moving in the winter in Chicago is actually a great idea. If you have the luxury of being able to plan your move in advance, consider steering clear of the obvious summer months and look into the benefits of moving in the winter. Here’s why.

4 Reasons Moving in the Winter is a Good Idea

1. More rental openings at lower costs.

The months of June through August are the busiest months for Chicago apartment hunting, especially because of the new slew of graduates in Chicago, a city full of colleges.

Around 90,000 people graduate from college every summer and many are looking for a new place! Craigslist acquires a flood of want ads for roommates and it seems like there’s a new apartment opening around every corner.

The downfall? With every opening you run across, another one closes. The timeframe is difficult to manage and it ends up feeling like another full-time job to find an affordable apartment in the location that you want.

2. Moving company costs are lower.Winter months may have fewer selections, but because the demand for housing is down there is more room to negotiate price and improvements. Your stress levels will be down and you won’t feel as much pressure to sign a lease immediately.

More than 30 million Americans move every summer, thus the need for moving support is heightened. Because winter is an “off-season” for professional moving companies in Chicago, prices can be up to much lower than in the summer months.

3. Moving dates are more flexible.

Did you know that July 1 is the most popular moving day of the year?

Because of this, professional movers are much more difficult to secure, especially without advanced planning. Moving in the winter months allows for moving date flexibility with shorter notice.

4. Safety.

Despite the notion that roads will be worse because of weather conditions, choosing to relocate in the winter can actually be safer and faster. During summer months, millions of cars, RVs and trucks are traveling the roads due to vacations, free time and school breaks. Furthermore, summer is also the busiest time for trucking companies. In colder seasons, roads are less busy resulting in shorter and safer commutes, and easier loading and unloading.

So there you have it, moving in winter offers a lot of advantages. Consider it the next time you’re planning a big move!

Old 12-07-2013, 04:53 PM

367 posts, read 694,266 times
Thanks for the information Lydia .I have researched the areas I'm interested in and it seems like there are a lot of apartments in my price range. I'm more concerned about finding work in the towns I 'm interested in. Smaller towns mean less jobs and more applicants for the job.I guess it's a chance I have to take.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:45 PM

3,604 posts, read 9,027,628 times
You might try posting in the specific areas you are interested in to find out about the housing and job market. I always read the local newspaper to get a feel for the area, look at the town's FB page and any other specific information you can get. If you aren't currently living in a winter weather state be sure you have great tires on your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues