U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 10:38 AM

15,474 posts, read 17,637,856 times

Advertisements

Weather is a perfectly good reason to move especially if you have health related issues.

For me, any place that is above 80 for more than four months of the year would make me suicidal. Right now, where I live is borderline.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:43 AM

5,678 posts, read 5,901,325 times
I think the both extremes suck. I would prefer a place where the temp is between 55-80 degrees (no humidity) year round.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:22 AM

Location: The Netherlands, Israel, Italy, Chicagoland, Alberta Canada
97 posts, read 128,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
This is why I moved.

The People vs Winter - YouTube
This is pretty funny.

If you like the cold you are never going to change same as if you like the heat.
Personally I do agree with moving for better weather is definitely not a bad idea. Weather is a big part of feeling happy somewhere. It also means that if you live in a hot climate and hate it you might be better off somewhere colder (considering you can make a living of course)

For me I have to be careful not to overdo it. I live in Northern Alberta for work now. It gets to be -40F in winter and -10/-15 is about normal for about 6 months a year. I cannot tell you how much I hate it. It's gross and disgusting. Not to mention dark and depressing. The first thing I noticed when I moved here is how much alcohol people drink. Now I can totally understand it!!! Hit me one more time please!
Moving back to the States will be an option in about a year. So when I said I have to be careful I mean that I should not pick the hottest place just because it seems so appealing right now. I know I don't like extreme heat either.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:37 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,204,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
A treeless broiling desert and a pair of yapping chihuahuas inside an AC'ed mexican-style house sounds like a taste of hell to me.

Gimme a snowy boreal forest and husky sled dogs instead lol

To each his own

You've obviously never been to Az. have you That's ok because those of us who actually LIVE here whether it be full time or seasonal know the real Arizona!

Nope,no grass or trees here:

Taken last night on a Christmas eve walk:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Have you been to the desert?(those that haven't always imagine it to be a wasteland of nothingness, which is not true) It is so beautiful and there are LOTS of trees here (and mountains! SO GORGEOUS). I have a tree in my backyard that needs some cutting back, actually. There are flowers blooming now! My house isn't Mexican style, either And we will be spending PLENTY of time outside enjoying the lovely sun.

Enjoy being stuck inside with no power when the ice brings the lines down and the endless grey days in a dead landscape! Merry Christmas!

Let them "think" it's a barren wasteland,it'll be less crowded without them here.

Glad you were able to make the move,I'm still a few years away from living here full time but for now seasonal will do. It's amazing how you can be in central Phoenix and within 2 hours be in the mountains of Sedona with a totally different topography and 15* cooler temps. It's easier to deal with the hot summers here than the humid sticky one back east. 100* with low humidity is nothing here,it's way more tolerable than 80* with humidity. During monsoon season the humidity does rise but the temps also go down. I love how people think it's 120* here all summer long, the highest recorded temp in Phoenix was 122* and that was back in June 1990,23 years ago

Also for me it's more than just the cold,dreary winters that I can't take anymore. The spring is usually cold,damp and raining,summers are getting more humid with little relief. The fall is the nicest time of year but to live in an area that has only 2-3 GOOD months out of the year,no thank you!!

Old 12-25-2013, 02:52 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,672,856 times
I think people do have to be careful about moving for the weather if they claim weather is why they're depressed. A friend of mine moved to a sunnier climate from the PNW because she said the gray winters depressed her, but now she's just depressed in a sunnier place. Some people do suffer from SAD, but this friend is one of those people who's not just a glass half-empty type, but sees a totally empty glass, and weather won't fix that.

I've also had friends who moved to Florida and Phoenix in the winter and regretted their decision in the summer. So it pays to thoroughly research the weather where you're planning to move and not fool yourself by relying on your perceptions on vacation during a nice time of the year. Most place have at least one crummy season.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:09 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,982,011 times
I would move just for weather, but there's other things to consider as well. Kids, family, work opportunity, and not to forget moving is very expensive and tedious!

I'm in my mid 20s and have moved around quite a bit for school/work. When I was looking for schools go to, I knew I wanted to find somewhere hot as I hate the cold and snow. I pretty much picked Arizona since I thought it was hot and found a school there. The only reason I went there was the hot weather and I loved it.

Then I moved to the midwest for a job, and yep, I hated it. Cold winters, tornados, flat farmlands as far as the eye can see. I stuck it out there for 3 years with the job and finally just moved again for the hell of it to Texas, where once again weather played a part in the decision.

I don't see why anyone shouldn't move because of weather. I get downright depressed in the winter (Seasonal Affective Disorder), and usually gain weight and lock myself up in the house feeling sad. Living somewhere where it's warm all year makes me a very happy person.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:59 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,108,086 times
The biggest problem in winter up here is that I gain weight. Else, I love the season. That's why I want lots of snow. It forces me to exercise more by shoveling. Just crabby overcast cold with 25 F temps and bare ground ain't cutting it.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:51 AM

5,678 posts, read 5,901,325 times
New fallen snow is actually quite beautiful.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,708,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
New fallen snow is actually quite beautiful.

If it doesn't fall during rush hour as you are commuting to or from a place of employment.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:02 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,108,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
If it doesn't fall during rush hour as you are commuting to or from a place of employment.
Get anti slip tires which give you more precise control over the dynamics of your vehicle. I bought them for $184 in Pittsburgh out of emergency, and its the best money I have ever spent. I have zero control issues in snow now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues