U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 04:40 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,483,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennstall View Post
San Diego. The highs are a bit higher than 55. You'd be looking at about 77-80 F for highs and probably not as much rain as San Francisco. It is beautifully mild all year.

I personally prefer it much warmer. I lived in San Fernando Valley for several years and loved the heat. I'm back in Boston now depressed and miserable. Thinking about making another move this winter and heading down to central Florida. I just cannot deal with the snow and cold. It makes me hate my life.
Just don't confuse San Diego with El Cajon and the inland communities. It gets VERY hot in the summer, and you might as well go north and live inland cheaper. I spent three months with a friend in the area, and grew up in the San Fernando Valley so it was not unfamiliar.

Beware of costal areas where you can buy cheaper by going inland. There is a seperate climatictic area near the coast where temps are influenced, but its not very big. If your on the other side its just inland socal hot. That is why San Diego proper is expensive.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:40 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,622,351 times
I love San Diego. The traffic, cost of living, not so much.

Forget it, winter is fine. I will go skiing next weekend,

Old 12-15-2013, 07:43 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,116,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I love San Diego. The traffic, cost of living, not so much.

Forget it, winter is fine. I will go skiing next weekend,
Do you live in New England. Fresh snow pack from this week will make it a beautiful ski trip.

I need my NJ windchill to experience the liveliness of Christmas holidays. Bikini tops are a appeal for my eyes in July. Right now is the time for Furs . As a Guy, I like seeing women all dressed up for changing seasons which in itself is its own charm (Sorry, but cant help not noticing those pretty colors and cute boots).

Old 12-15-2013, 09:27 PM

7,792 posts, read 4,982,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Beware of costal areas where you can buy cheaper by going inland. There is a seperate climatictic area near the coast where temps are influenced, but its not very big. If your on the other side its just inland socal hot. That is why San Diego proper is expensive.
The really beautiful areas - in terms of climate, natural features, cultural amenities and so forth - tend to be geographically of small extent, and very expensive. This is true along either coast, and to lesser extent also in the inland cities. All-around "nice places" are rare, and command a stiff premium. For those of us living in not-so-nice places, but with stable employment, the enticement to relocate becomes realistic only when nearing retirement.

For some number of years, I lived in the environment of Los Angeles; Pasadena, to be more precise. Culturally it had big-city charm, but the climate was more "inland". In going towards the coast, the thermal gradient in summer was astonishing - as much as one degree per mile! It would literally be in the mid-70s in Santa Monica, and over 100 (on some days) in Pasadena. Since then, I've traveled widely in California, and am very much enamored with the "sans" (Francisco, Diego, Luis Obispo). But then comes the harsh reality of high taxes and finding suitable employment.

Behold the mighty free-market! Consumers are not fools. They will bid up the prices of those locales where the living is best. Those of us without the fortitude to compete at those lofty heights are relegated to second-tier locales, or worse.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:31 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,559,378 times
I understand pain and weather. I moved from the cold winter state to CA and then FL but now am back in the cold which is very painful. What I will say is CA was the best and FL was horrible for my pain as well. The humidity and heat made me swell so bad I went up 2 shoe sizes and felt like my limbs were on fire. For some conditions I don't feel FL is good because it is so severe in humidity. Even in CA when it was a 100 plus I felt way better then in FL.
I would be living in CA if I could afford it for weather. In CA though weather varies a lot. Like the other poster stated. Where I lived it could be 100 in the summer but 20 minutes away it could be 80.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:35 AM

9,036 posts, read 9,456,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Do you live in New England. Fresh snow pack from this week will make it a beautiful ski trip.

I need my NJ windchill to experience the liveliness of Christmas holidays. Bikini tops are a appeal for my eyes in July. Right now is the time for Furs . As a Guy, I like seeing women all dressed up for changing seasons which in itself is its own charm (Sorry, but cant help not noticing those pretty colors and cute boots).
Fur only looks good on the animal it comes from

If I never wear boots again I will die happy.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:40 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,622,351 times
Don't get rid of the boots! You may go home again! Even for a visit. Pack them away...

Funny thing about clothing, the clothes I had for living in Florida, are not even warm enough for summer in Montana!

I had to buy a ton of stuff when I moved here, stuff I had long ago had and got rid of...coats, boots, turtlenecks...

Old 12-16-2013, 07:48 AM

2,570 posts, read 2,165,934 times
Yes, do what makes you happy.

It depends on your situation. It would probably be foolish to give up Harvard because you don't like having to wear a coat, but to each his own.

it's not unusual to see women wearing Ugggs (sp?) or other boots in 85 degree weather down here.lol Some people just like boots

Old 12-16-2013, 07:58 AM

3,883 posts, read 3,561,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I see on these forums all the time that people say they're "sick of the weather" where they are and that they want to move, and others turn up their nose in disdain, saying that "there's more to life than weather".
People who claim you shouldn't move because of the weather either don't live where it snows a lot, or they live in an apartment building where the landlord takes care of the snow. Believe me, I was one of those people but as a homeowner of 20 years in the Northeast, I can now understand the idea of moving to where it's warm! I don't think I'll ever move away fmo the Northeast, though.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:06 AM

9,036 posts, read 9,456,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Don't get rid of the boots! You may go home again! Even for a visit. Pack them away...

Funny thing about clothing, the clothes I had for living in Florida, are not even warm enough for summer in Montana!

I had to buy a ton of stuff when I moved here, stuff I had long ago had and got rid of...coats, boots, turtlenecks...
If I visit anywhere in the north, it will not be between the months of Sept-April, trust me. I NEVER want to be in the snow again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.