U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-16-2013, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,009 posts, read 3,339,167 times
Reputation: 7666

Advertisements

It's a stupid reason to move ALONE, but it's fine as a FACTOR. I plan to move from Miami to Minneapolis, one reason is I can't stand the endless heat in Miami. I don't hate the heat, when it's July and I'm lying on a pool under the sun (with sunblock of course!) I love it! But when it's December, and there's Christmas lights outside and the temperature is in the mid 80s, then it feels like crap.

Which is why I don't really get the huge influx of northern invaders to the south. The cold and snow don't last more than 3-4 months most places, and y'all still have a good summer of heat, while down here the 80+ temperatures seem to last almost all year minus a few cold snaps (and us native Floridians tend to love them for the change in weather alone)

But there's nothing wrong with wanting to move to a different climate, be it warmer or colder. Just make sure you got good reasons to, and there's more things to life than weather, and you can always learn to embrace the weather you're not too fond of (don't tell me there's nothing to do in a northern winter because there's so many things you can't do in Florida you can do up there)

The only weather worth moving to on weather alone is if it rained dollar bills

 
Old 12-16-2013, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,009 posts, read 3,339,167 times
Reputation: 7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I see on these forums all the time that people say they're "sick of the weather" where they are and that they want to move, and others turn up their nose in disdain, saying that "there's more to life than weather".

For me, living in Ohio with fibromyalgia is a nightmare. My life practically ceases to exist beginning in October, and doesn't come back until May. I get about 5 months a year where I feel like I actually LIVE. Once the weather starts to turn and the barometric pressure starts swinging wildly, I'm miserable. I need to be somewhere that it is hot all the time, or at the very least, rarely dips below 60.

Now, I know that my situation is on the extreme end of the pendulum, but before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 8 years ago, I STILL always wanted to live in warm weather near the beach. The atmosphere of tropical living brightens my soul and it's where I feel I belong. I've always hated cold and winter weather, and hate how 6+ months out of the year, I'm stuck inside.

WHY is that not acceptable to people?

Some people will move anywhere for a new job that gives them a better daily life, in their opinion, so why is weather the red-headed stepchild when people just want that same better life? I've lived in places that I've had cruddy jobs, but the daily life was better, and I've lived in places where the job was good and the daily life sucked. Who's to say what's an "acceptable" reason to move?

Sorry to break it to you but the reality is that a crappy job is not going to make the daily life better, that is usually a naive statement made by people who probably never lived in poverty, well I was born into it, and a good job to pay off for yourself and family is more rewarding than factors like sunshine and beaches.
 
Old 12-16-2013, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,009 posts, read 3,339,167 times
Reputation: 7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Weather is a great excuse to move, it was one of the many reasons I chose to move. I LOVE the heat and summer time. The day I moved in it was HOT and the humidity was crazy, I turned my air off and opened the windows. By the time the movers was done moving stuff into the house they looked as if they had been hit by a rain storm, and it only took a hour to move our stuff in and that was in Sept. I don't plan to run the AC at all in the summer time, just a overhead fan will do just fine. It's not so much the heat but the humidity that will get ya. Granted I don't mind either and would much prefer heat to cold, more easier to cool down then warm up. It's so nice to walk on the beach in the middle of December in shorts, shot sleeves and flip flops (or in my case bare feet) so nice for it to hit 70 this time of the year. How anyone could hate the heat is beyond me. I say stick those people up in the mountains where there is 2 foot of snow and it don't get above freezing for months and see just how much they hate the heat then. I bet ya they would be begging for the warmth back.

You're insane. My father who was born in Cuba and lived a good portion of his life without the American luxury of air conditioning, in this day and age LOVES air conditioning and can't deal living without it. He just bought a new place temporarily where the AC unit is from the 1980s and doesn't cool worth a damn, he couldn't sleep there even after moving his stuff, had to go back to his current place where the AC is from the 21st century and cools down to 64 degrees.

That kind of heat is stifling and the WORST to sleep in. About "sticking those people in the mountains" many people that love snow already LIVE in places like that. And they enjoy skiing and winter hikes, which I admit, are a little more fun than sitting inside a house in August with AC off
 
Old 12-16-2013, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,547 posts, read 17,469,879 times
Reputation: 16765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The really beautiful areas - in terms of climate, natural features, cultural amenities and so forth - tend to be geographically of small extent, and very expensive. This is true along either coast, and to lesser extent also in the inland cities. All-around "nice places" are rare, and command a stiff premium. For those of us living in not-so-nice places, but with stable employment, the enticement to relocate becomes realistic only when nearing retirement.

For some number of years, I lived in the environment of Los Angeles; Pasadena, to be more precise. Culturally it had big-city charm, but the climate was more "inland". In going towards the coast, the thermal gradient in summer was astonishing - as much as one degree per mile! It would literally be in the mid-70s in Santa Monica, and over 100 (on some days) in Pasadena. Since then, I've traveled widely in California, and am very much enamored with the "sans" (Francisco, Diego, Luis Obispo). But then comes the harsh reality of high taxes and finding suitable employment.

Behold the mighty free-market! Consumers are not fools. They will bid up the prices of those locales where the living is best. Those of us without the fortitude to compete at those lofty heights are relegated to second-tier locales, or worse.
For a time, I lived a quarter mile from the beach in Huntington Beach. In summer all of inland filled the beach so we didn't go there. In winter you got the really high tides which would reach coast highway. Fall was nice since you could actually walk down a mostly deserted beach, but it could get cold.

The thing was, in the summer the heat inland drew in clouds and it would get cold enough to need a sweater by afternoon. And winter... the fog bank rolled in about a mile. I mean fog so thick you couldn't see the tree right in front of the front window, let alone cars. Further inland it wasn't as thick, but the visibility highly limited. Most of my drive to work was non freeway and fogged in so I ended up coming in late and working late then. Better than get rear ended by someone who didn't know you were there.

I moved a little inland and then later a lot more inland after I had broncitus and every fog brought it back.

Right next to the coast is neat in some ways, but then in others its a pain. Did I mention the dead fish smell on high summer tides, as it washed up creatures who got stranded and well, you could still tell later.

I didn't much like the smog, but overall I'd rather be behind the marine climactic area where it wasn't so cold and damp, if I was living near a beach.
 
Old 12-16-2013, 02:35 PM
 
2,015 posts, read 4,652,346 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I see on these forums all the time that people say they're "sick of the weather" where they are and that they want to move, and others turn up their nose in disdain, saying that "there's more to life than weather".

For me, living in Ohio with fibromyalgia is a nightmare. My life practically ceases to exist beginning in October, and doesn't come back until May. I get about 5 months a year where I feel like I actually LIVE. Once the weather starts to turn and the barometric pressure starts swinging wildly, I'm miserable. I need to be somewhere that it is hot all the time, or at the very least, rarely dips below 60.

Now, I know that my situation is on the extreme end of the pendulum, but before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 8 years ago, I STILL always wanted to live in warm weather near the beach. The atmosphere of tropical living brightens my soul and it's where I feel I belong. I've always hated cold and winter weather, and hate how 6+ months out of the year, I'm stuck inside.

WHY is that not acceptable to people?

Some people will move anywhere for a new job that gives them a better daily life, in their opinion, so why is weather the red-headed stepchild when people just want that same better life? I've lived in places that I've had cruddy jobs, but the daily life was better, and I've lived in places where the job was good and the daily life sucked. Who's to say what's an "acceptable" reason to move?

Cmjones, I totally get you and what you are saying!! I feel exactly the same!! Life is too short to live somewhere where you are miserable...physically, emotionally, mentally. As life progresses and we have a shorter time to live on this earthly plane, that becomes abundantly clear.

As far as things being acceptable to people, you know, that is a good question. Everyone has their own level of tolerance of what they can live with or without Some are driven by $$$, some by family (wishing to remain near them), etc.

For me, personally, I am like you. Warmth (NOT humidity), sunshine, being able to be outdoors all year round, feeling GOOD inside & outside - is important. What is keeping me here for now are the kids and the younger ones finishing up school.

I do believe that God and/or the universe (whatever belief system we adhere to), places the right things in our path if we are open to them. I sincerely wish you the best and I wish you tons of happiness in the future, especially 2014 as it approaches. It will be FANTASTIC for you to be in the type of climate that allows you to enjoy your life in every single way. P.S. - I live in Ohio too - NE OH, to be exact. I get you. Take care! :-)

Last edited by Donna7; 12-16-2013 at 02:48 PM..
 
Old 12-16-2013, 02:39 PM
 
2,015 posts, read 4,652,346 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Who cares what people say? Do what makes you happy.

I just moved from Des Moines to Phoenix. I had never been to Phoenix before (though I had been to the desert SW). When asked "why Phoenix?" my answer is always "I picked the hottest major city in the US" and it is the truth.

I have always been miserable in the cold, even as a kid. I never liked snow. I would get depressed when labor day arrived and stay that way until the flowers finally bloomed in April. I spent the winter months indoors, depressed, just wanting to go to bed as soon as the sun went down to get the day over with. Snow in the forecast a week away would ruin my entire week. Who wants to live that way?

So, 2 weeks in Phoenix, and I have forgotten it is winter. Flowers are blooming here NOW. I have not worn anything heavier than a hoodie, and that hasn't been often. I've worn sandals and flip flops. (its been in the 60s mostly, a few upper 50s, which locals think is cold, but for me this time of year, it is great!) The sun shines every day (at least so far, and it usually does) and the sunsets are just amazing every single evening. I will never go back to cold and snow, and the depression that comes with it.

Do what makes you happy and makes you feel better physically. Some of us are just more effected by the weather than others.

LOVE it!!! I am happy that you followed your heart and intuition and are now happy with where you live. Wishing you a happy new year 2014! :-)
 
Old 12-16-2013, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 11,106,088 times
Reputation: 6316
If there is a humidity tax imposed on summer in NJ. I would be happy. I cant handle these oppressive 86 F highs with humidity. Thankfully, my A/C cools very well and 3 dehumidifying fans work like a charm. I should talk to the state representatives about how this tax will generate plenty of revenue .
 
Old 12-16-2013, 02:49 PM
 
342 posts, read 330,592 times
Reputation: 310
So I am reading this thread in front of my heat lamp and so happy to hear from all of you that moved because of the weather.
I hate the cold, always have. I joked with people for many years that I must have that crazy light depression crap.
2 years ago I realized I actually do, well possibly more like cold depression. I feel like crap from October until May
I want to move south but cannot due to family, my wife does not want to move.
However, 2 close people have died very unexpectedly this year and I am not hanging around depressed and waiting to die a sad and cold end.
I found a friend who suffers from the cold too, I was so happy they "confessed" to me about it and was willing to talk about it, made me feel normal again.
So for now I am buying a house in Florida that needs some work, and I will be spending a few weeks down there fixing it up....its cheaper than divorce !!!
I have been tracking temps between MA and Fort Lauderdale, it is actually hotter and more humid for many days during the height of the summer in MA and I personally feel it is easier to get used to one temp range than going from 0 to 100 in the space of 6 months.
 
Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 PM
 
748 posts, read 1,408,613 times
Reputation: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
You're insane. My father who was born in Cuba and lived a good portion of his life without the American luxury of air conditioning, in this day and age LOVES air conditioning and can't deal living without it. He just bought a new place temporarily where the AC unit is from the 1980s and doesn't cool worth a damn, he couldn't sleep there even after moving his stuff, had to go back to his current place where the AC is from the 21st century and cools down to 64 degrees.

That kind of heat is stifling and the WORST to sleep in. About "sticking those people in the mountains" many people that love snow already LIVE in places like that. And they enjoy skiing and winter hikes, which I admit, are a little more fun than sitting inside a house in August with AC off

I've NEVER used my AC even when it was 100 out, it's a waste of money. I've found fans work perfectly fine and it's done just fine since I've been here, and worked perfectly fine in WV for years. I've found a simple box fan in the window at night will work wonders. Otherwise if we don't use a fan we don't use any thing, i'd rather not even have AC in the house. Truthfully I didn't even turn on my heat until it hit 30 out at night and then I was kind of forced to do that, because it was just too cold in the house and I don't handle cold too well. Any one that whines that the heat is just SO bad and you just can't stand it, is kind of a cry baby in my opinion. Go hop in a pool, the ocean or eat a ice cream, it's what I've done when I get hot. However I've been lucky enough to have a pool for free any time I want to use it and now the ocean is a short bike ride away.
 
Old 12-17-2013, 10:16 AM
 
9,017 posts, read 9,444,931 times
Reputation: 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
So I am reading this thread in front of my heat lamp and so happy to hear from all of you that moved because of the weather.
I hate the cold, always have. I joked with people for many years that I must have that crazy light depression crap.
2 years ago I realized I actually do, well possibly more like cold depression. I feel like crap from October until May
I want to move south but cannot due to family, my wife does not want to move.
However, 2 close people have died very unexpectedly this year and I am not hanging around depressed and waiting to die a sad and cold end.
I found a friend who suffers from the cold too, I was so happy they "confessed" to me about it and was willing to talk about it, made me feel normal again.
So for now I am buying a house in Florida that needs some work, and I will be spending a few weeks down there fixing it up....its cheaper than divorce !!!
I have been tracking temps between MA and Fort Lauderdale, it is actually hotter and more humid for many days during the height of the summer in MA and I personally feel it is easier to get used to one temp range than going from 0 to 100 in the space of 6 months.
That "crazy light depression" is very real, I can assure you. I suffered from it. Mine would usually start with anxiety as Labor Day neared, because I knew what was to come. Seeing the leaves change in the fall added to it, the ugly colors of fall just reminded me that winter was coming fast. Once the first snow would fall, I was all out miserable, and would stay that way until the flowers started to bloom in the spring. I am only fully happy when the sun is out and the air is warm.

This year, since moving, I feel none of that. The sun shines every day. It is warm (near 80 today) and I am able to sit outside and let that Vitamin D lift my mood.

For those who say weather isn't a good enough reason or shouldn't be the only reason...they don't fully understand how profoundly effected some of us are. I not only feel BETTER, but I feel lighter without the usual dread of winter yet to come. My only regret is I didn't move years ago.
__________________
My posts as moderator will be in red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:26 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top