Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:42 AM

500 posts, read 1,173,354 times

Advertisements

I see on these forums all the time that people say they're "sick of the weather" where they are and that they want to move, and others turn up their nose in disdain, saying that "there's more to life than weather".

For me, living in Ohio with fibromyalgia is a nightmare. My life practically ceases to exist beginning in October, and doesn't come back until May. I get about 5 months a year where I feel like I actually LIVE. Once the weather starts to turn and the barometric pressure starts swinging wildly, I'm miserable. I need to be somewhere that it is hot all the time, or at the very least, rarely dips below 60.

Now, I know that my situation is on the extreme end of the pendulum, but before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 8 years ago, I STILL always wanted to live in warm weather near the beach. The atmosphere of tropical living brightens my soul and it's where I feel I belong. I've always hated cold and winter weather, and hate how 6+ months out of the year, I'm stuck inside.

WHY is that not acceptable to people?

Some people will move anywhere for a new job that gives them a better daily life, in their opinion, so why is weather the red-headed stepchild when people just want that same better life? I've lived in places that I've had cruddy jobs, but the daily life was better, and I've lived in places where the job was good and the daily life sucked. Who's to say what's an "acceptable" reason to move?

Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
...and others turn up their nose in disdain, saying that "there's more to life than weather".
Usually that involves having the money needed and the job to produce it.
But if you can move somewhere else and pay your bills too? Have fun.

Quote:
For me, living in Ohio with fibromyalgia is a nightmare.
That sounds awful. But not part of the discussion for those without such conditions.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:38 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,996,415 times
Quote:
Who's to say what's an "acceptable" reason to move?
Indeed.

So just go. What do you care if others are judgmental about your reason for wanting to move?

Old 12-12-2013, 12:49 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,432 times
Quote:
I see on these forums all the time that people say they're "sick of the weather" where they are and that they want to move, and others turn up their nose in disdain, saying that "there's more to life than weather".

For me, living in Ohio with fibromyalgia is a nightmare. My life practically ceases to exist beginning in October, and doesn't come back until May. I get about 5 months a year where I feel like I actually LIVE. Once the weather starts to turn and the barometric pressure starts swinging wildly, I'm miserable. I need to be somewhere that it is hot all the time, or at the very least, rarely dips below 60.

Now, I know that my situation is on the extreme end of the pendulum, but before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 8 years ago, I STILL always wanted to live in warm weather near the beach. The atmosphere of tropical living brightens my soul and it's where I feel I belong. I've always hated cold and winter weather, and hate how 6+ months out of the year, I'm stuck inside.

WHY is that not acceptable to people?

Some people will move anywhere for a new job that gives them a better daily life, in their opinion, so why is weather the red-headed stepchild when people just want that same better life? I've lived in places that I've had cruddy jobs, but the daily life was better, and I've lived in places where the job was good and the daily life sucked. Who's to say what's an "acceptable" reason to move?

So move to Florida . Warm weather doesnt pay the bills.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:08 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
Who cares what people say? Do what makes you happy.

I just moved from Des Moines to Phoenix. I had never been to Phoenix before (though I had been to the desert SW). When asked "why Phoenix?" my answer is always "I picked the hottest major city in the US" and it is the truth.

I have always been miserable in the cold, even as a kid. I never liked snow. I would get depressed when labor day arrived and stay that way until the flowers finally bloomed in April. I spent the winter months indoors, depressed, just wanting to go to bed as soon as the sun went down to get the day over with. Snow in the forecast a week away would ruin my entire week. Who wants to live that way?

So, 2 weeks in Phoenix, and I have forgotten it is winter. Flowers are blooming here NOW. I have not worn anything heavier than a hoodie, and that hasn't been often. I've worn sandals and flip flops. (its been in the 60s mostly, a few upper 50s, which locals think is cold, but for me this time of year, it is great!) The sun shines every day (at least so far, and it usually does) and the sunsets are just amazing every single evening. I will never go back to cold and snow, and the depression that comes with it.

Do what makes you happy and makes you feel better physically. Some of us are just more effected by the weather than others.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
For the OP, its not just weather, but health. If your life is shut down have the year from cold then it is every reason to move somewhere warmer. It is a reason to make it a priority. Just as smog can be. I couldn't walk a block where I used to live from the smog, and don't have breathing problems here. It wasn't the only reason but a major one to leave.

And some move to have four seasons. I grew up in socal and lived there most of my life, and LOVE that there are actual seasons. One makes you appreciate the others. And I hadn't ever lived in that kind of climate.

If weather isn't a primary, and there are economic concerns then sure, make that a first priority. But nobody should be told that what really motivates them to move on is unimportant. They just need to keep all factors in mind in *planning* how and when.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I like sun, but cannot stand heat! Las Vegas was like living in Hell to me, same with Florida. So much happier to not be in that hot weather, or ice cold A/C. Give me a warm fire, and a sweater any day! I love brisk autumn days, cold snowy days, and warm summers. But the baking heat of the southwest, forget it. Did it for 30 years, and got out!

Old 12-12-2013, 06:43 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I like sun, but cannot stand heat! Las Vegas was like living in Hell to me, same with Florida. So much happier to not be in that hot weather, or ice cold A/C. Give me a warm fire, and a sweater any day! I love brisk autumn days, cold snowy days, and warm summers. But the baking heat of the southwest, forget it. Did it for 30 years, and got out!
I can't wait till the summer and the heat. Back in the midwest, the days i was the happiest were the days it was over 100 with high humidity. The hotter the better. I've experienced triple digits in Vegas. LOVED it.

The nice thing about this country is there is such a variety of weather, so you can move wherever you will be happiest.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:03 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,478,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Where did you move to?

Old 12-13-2013, 06:45 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
I am also thinking of moving to the Phoenix area. I already live in a hot climate, Texas, but the humidity is terrible. I've been to Arizona many times, but this last trip for enjoyment instead of work, did it for me. I need the sun! Here we have too many gloomy winter days. I guess since we are close to the Gulf of Mexico, the clouds are constantly rolling in and spoiling the weather. Cold, damp, gloomy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.