U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fantasy Move: Watertown, NY Vs. Tyler, TX
Watertown, NY 10 66.67%
Tyler, TX 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:35 PM

9,067 posts, read 9,497,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
But think of those beautiful green summers and radiant fall colors , as opposed to the plains of East Texas with extreme humidity year round .
My home state (that I just moved away from to escape winter) has beautiful green summers and the lwave change in the fall, which is something I do not enjoy. I do not like the fall colors, it means winter is on the way. I'd rather live someplace where I can sunbathe year round, like I did today! (and where the leaves stay attached to the trees )

Old 01-02-2014, 04:20 PM

56,531 posts, read 80,824,285 times
I don't know about Tyler, but Watertown has the 1000 Islands Region and nice small communities like Sackets Harbor, Clayton, Alexandria Bay and Cape Vincent. Watertown's South Side around Washington Street is nice and shopping options have increased on Arsenal Street. I was stationed at Fort Drum and besides the very cold winter days at times, it has beautiful scenery and is largely safe. You can also take trips to great Canadian cities such as Ottawa and Kingston in Ontario, along with Toronto and Montreal. Syracuse is about an hour away and the Adirondacks are close by as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 06:56 PM

2,900 posts, read 4,606,807 times
Quote:
. Northeast Texas is the plains. Southeast Texas has some semi tropical forest Vegetation. I have driven from Dallas to Texarkana once and did not see many trees at all. Just plain flat farmland.
Lol--no. Tyler is in East Texas, AKA THE "Piney Woods". Northeast Texas is not "plains". The Panhandle is "Plains". Southeast Texas is not "semi-tropical forest". Maybe on your one trip from Dallas to Texarkana you were on a road that was built on cleared land, rather than through a "forest"? It's OK. We Texans understand.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,953,464 times
I got a call from Mom this morning... it just started snowing and they are expecting 5-6 ft of lake effect snow. That's feet, not inches.

She wanted to let me know in case the power and/or phones go out.

Like I said... it's like living in Antarctica up there.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:09 PM

440 posts, read 703,068 times
Quote:
. Northeast Texas is the plains. Southeast Texas has some semi tropical forest Vegetation. I have driven from Dallas to Texarkana once and did not see many trees at all. Just plain flat farmland.
Just drove that road 5 days ago-plenty of trees and green-that was after driving all the way up the east texas border from LA and it was full of trees (mainly pine) but plenty of them.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:50 PM

2,900 posts, read 4,606,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sossie View Post
Just drove that road 5 days ago-plenty of trees and green-that was after driving all the way up the east texas border from LA and it was full of trees (mainly pine) but plenty of them.
Hence, the region's name, "The Piney Woods".

Old 01-09-2014, 05:43 AM

56,531 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I got a call from Mom this morning... it just started snowing and they are expecting 5-6 ft of lake effect snow. That's feet, not inches.

She wanted to let me know in case the power and/or phones go out.

Like I said... it's like living in Antarctica up there.
It can be, but it can vary. I've seen it where it was dry and sunny for long periods of time in the winter and I've seen it get very cold or with a lot of snow. Outside of winter though, it is a nice, beautiful area and in a good location to cities in the Northeast and Canada. If you like the outdoors, it is close to Lake Ontario, the Adirondack Mountains, the 1000 Islands and even beaches.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:08 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,156,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
the lwave change in the fall

Inventing the I-wave. What is it supposed to do. Control your microwave settings from the i Phone .

Just joking around here, but releasing it this fall could make you a millionaire instantly (and why live in Phoenix as a millionaire when you can go to coastal southern California and enjoy life as its meant to be lived ).

Old 01-10-2014, 06:30 PM

9,067 posts, read 9,497,381 times
Quote:

Inventing the I-wave. What is it supposed to do. Control your microwave settings from the i Phone .

Just joking around here, but releasing it this fall could make you a millionaire instantly (and why live in Phoenix as a millionaire when you can go to coastal southern California and enjoy life as its meant to be lived ).
Um. Typo...that was supposed to be "leaves". I hate when they change in the fall. U-G-L-Y.

I want nothing to do with "i" anything, thankyewverymuch But, I'd stay in Phoenix where it is nice and hot. I have no interest in living on a coast.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,156,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Um. Typo...that was supposed to be "leaves". I hate when they change in the fall. U-G-L-Y.

I want nothing to do with "i" anything, thankyewverymuch But, I'd stay in Phoenix where it is nice and hot. I have no interest in living on a coast.
Have you seen the beauty of Upstate NY in the summer. Just fantastic. Winters are worth waiting for spring summer and fall. In Texas, Spring, Summer, and fall are worth waiting for winter. Tell me which downtown looks more beautiful

Watertown NY:

Tyler, TX:

Watertown, NY looks more beautiful in my opinion and there is more to it than weather. Culturally, Watertown is more likely to suit me than Tyler. My job is set (as mentioned in my first post) and NY quality of life suits me if employed. Finally, there is a lot of outdoor activity to engage in. Skiing, ice fishing, and polar jump in winter, downtown blossoms in spring, hitting thousand islands in summer, and hiking in the Adirondacks for fall colors. If I want to bag hot gals, a ride to Rochester will do. In the case of Tyler, um.. No hotties till you reach Dallas.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-10-2014 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or