U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:55 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,560,637 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to relocate next month 1,200 miles away for a new job. My husband will follow, perhaps as soon as this summer, but perhaps as late as spring 2015. It will depend on when he can go fully remote in his job, and how we decide to handle the sale of our house (him staying, with pets, while on the market, or all moving out to be with me, and just staging the empty house for sale -- not decided yet on how to do this).

The dilemma arises with choosing housing in the new city. We're not planning to buy any time soon, so we're just talking about rentals for now. The question is how much rental to get.

Option 1: Get a small 1BR place with enough room for me and one dog. Move to a bigger rental when hubby joins me. This saves about $300-400 a month for the duration of the first small place, but involves a second move. It also means having to deal with the lease on the first place when the time comes to move. (Most places I'm seeing require a year lease).

Option 2: Get a bigger place now, knowing that there will be enough room when my husband, the other pets, and the rest of the stuff get there. This will also allow me to go ahead and take more stuff with me when I first go, and will eliminate the second move. But it could cost an extra $2,500 to $4,500 to "hold" that space before we actually need it.

Option two is doable budget-wise. Things will be a bit tighter, but it's doable. However, that doesn't mean I'm thrilled about tossing the extra money away when I don't really need to.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 PM

5,052 posts, read 5,978,245 times
I'd get the smaller place in case something awful happens, like he loses his job or something in the meantime. ):

Either look for a month-to-month, make sure you can sublet it, or have a chat with the landlord (and get any agreements in writing). If your credit/references are good, the landlord might be willing to deal a bit.

Also, get rid of as much stuff as you can and look into storage in something like a POD, relo cube, SAM, or other moveable storage unit. Different types are available in different areas. I used two ABS relo cubes. I had several weeks between selling my house (and having to leave) before I could get into my house in Iowa.

That may not work for you money-wise, but it's a great option when there's a double move involved because they'll bring the unit to your new place.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:25 AM

3,237 posts, read 4,555,027 times
Personally I'd go with 1 because doable doesn't sound like a good option to me.

You cite lack of space so I would still go with 1 and get a storage unit. You're likely not storing things in there that would require a temperature controlled unit so that should run you about $80/month for something around 8'x10' size.

I'm doing something somewhat similar to this:

I'm getting back from deployment in July, getting married in August and moving the wife down in August. Apartment leases go either 6 or 12 months. I'm going to do a 6 month in July and we're going to start looking at houses in August hoping to buy in January '15. If for whatever reason the time to buy a house isn't right, we're going to stay another 6 months.

We're going to stay in a 1 bed apartment as a 2 bed apartment isn't that much bigger for the money but spending the money on a storage unit for a lot more storage space seems to make more sense.

Don't sweat a 2nd move because everything will still be packed (unless you unpack things you don't need for whatever reason) and you'll just have to move things from the unit to the truck. I always recommend a dolly, just buy one for $40-60 at Harbor Freight, it's one of the best investments you can make, you can move 3-4 times as much stuff with less effort while using a dolly.

Is renting the house out an option?

Old 01-11-2014, 05:30 AM

Thanks, all. Logic and sensibility are definitely on the side of Option 1. As for budget, option 2's "tightness" comes from our desire to cash-flow everything on both ends. We have plenty of savings to offset that $5K if necessary -- it will just be $5K that won't then be available to go into an eventual home purchase.

As for renting out our house here, we really don't want to to be long-distance landlords. And I'd rather sparsely stage the house with stuff we can sell at the end and show it unoccupied than have a realtor have to deal with renters (and renters' stuff that might not show the house at its best). I should note if it were my husband moving first and me staying behind, we'd definitely do the smaller place there, and I'd stay here to sell the house. But my husband's not really up to keeping the place show-ready, while dealing with the three remaining dogs, on his own. (kudos to him for his honesty!).

I guess the idea of eliminating the interim move and the associated hassle seemed appealing enough to consider Option 2. That and it would allow the bigger move now, with a lot of stuff coming with me, and the smaller move at the end, when DH comes. I'll have time now to purge, organize and pack (again, not really his forte). But when the second move happens, I'll be in the midst of the new job, so won't have much time on the ground at the old place.

I think the middle ground solution would be to do as much packing as possible now, and store it on one end or the other, with both husband and I having a minimal set-up on both ends. That makes for an easier second move.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:21 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,548,096 times
jakabedy,

I would think it would be hard enough to find a rental that would accept 1 dog, let alone 4! The more pets you have the more it is likely to cost.

Have you considered leaving all 4 pets at home and renting a 1 bedroom apt? Then once you are in your new location you will have time to become familiar with the area. It may take some time to find a rental that would accept that many pets.

Mary2014

Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 AM

5,052 posts, read 5,978,245 times
Also, make sure that you know the area laws: some cities are restricting the number of dogs residents can have. Hopefully, yours isn't one of them, but it may be unlawful to rent to you with that many. Maybe one or two can stay with another relative for a bit while the transition is going on.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 AM

Regarding the dogs, I know it will be a challenge. Thankfully, the new city is a very dog-friendly place. No limits on how many, although there are licenses, fees, etc. to deal with (which we don't have here). There's no problem finding a small rental that will take one dog or maybe even two. It will be a trick when they're all here, but that's a bridge we'll have to cross when we get there.

We're hoping to place one of them with family, but we're not 100% there yet. I'm planning to take one with me mainly for the company . . . but I could always take the cat instead.

The dogs might be another check mark for a larger place (with yard) that already accepts 1 or 2 pets. If I can develop a good track record there, perhaps it won't be a big issue when the other dogs arrive. They're all good dogs -- house-trained, crate-trained, obedient, not bully breeds.

But then, what do I know? I haven't been a renter for 17 years. This is going to be all new to me again.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:45 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,530,936 times
Having had the experience of trying to rent with multiple dogs, I would base my search around what place I could find that would allow 4 dogs. I have been a renter in two "dog friendly" cities and can tell you that "dog friendly" often means friendly if you own your own home and have dogs in your backyard--but it doesn't necessarily translate to rentals being willing to accept multiple dogs, especially if any of the dogs are over 25 pounds. One "dog friendly" city also had a law stating no more than 2 dogs and 2 cats per household. Did some people sneak around this rule? Sure, but I wouldn't try to do so in a rental situation where the landlord isn't going to want to be on the hook for it.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:47 PM

9,038 posts, read 9,461,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
jakabedy,

I would think it would be hard enough to find a rental that would accept 1 dog, let alone 4! The more pets you have the more it is likely to cost.

Have you considered leaving all 4 pets at home and renting a 1 bedroom apt? Then once you are in your new location you will have time to become familiar with the area. It may take some time to find a rental that would accept that many pets.

Mary2014
This old statement again...

There ARE tons of places that will rent to people with multiple pets. Yes, 4 dogs will be a bit harder than having fewer, but to say " it would be hard enough to find a rental that would accept 1 dog, let alone 4!" is just not true.

I live in an apartment with 4 pets. I had no trouble finding multiple places that would take them all.

Good luck, OP!

Old 01-11-2014, 06:18 PM

21,636 posts, read 14,232,924 times
I would be tempted to get the 2 bedroom place up front. Do you really want to be confined to a small one bedroom place for the longest projected time?

We rented for three months in 2012. We got a two bedroom place because where we wanted to rent did not have a 1 bedroom place available. We were not sorry we had the extra bedroom, even though it did not get full use.

You could use an extra bedroom for an office, or to sleep guests--or both. It will be more comfortable, and you can take more of your furniture.

Good luck on this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues