Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 PM

12 posts, read 39,441 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to England from America and I was wondering what the cheapest way for me to ship my clothing/shoes there. I don't have a lot of things to bring there. Just my personal stuff. Should I hire a moving company so they can supply me with shipping boxes or should I get moving boxes from Lowe's and just ship it myself using either USPS/FedEX/UPS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Cheaper just shipping using UPS. If you were moving furniture and all your belongings then I was going to say you need to contact a moving company in England first and they will pick a moving company to work with in the US. It's much smoother doing this rather than picking a US company first and then contacting a British company later.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:39 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Depending on how much you will really take with you additional baggage might be the least expensive option.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:49 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,056 times
Get rid of everything you possibly can and then compare prices between UPS and the airline you're flying here on. My mom moved to Ecuador from the US and brought about a dozen Rubbermaid totes on the plane.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
I did that. I went down to a mall-shipping place and that was it. Their prices aren't the lowest, but it was easy. I shipped about 10 boxes.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Cheaper just shipping using UPS. If you were moving furniture and all your belongings then I was going to say you need to contact a moving company in England first and they will pick a moving company to work with in the US. It's much smoother doing this rather than picking a US company first and then contacting a British company later.
Yeah I think I'll just go with UPS.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Depending on how much you will really take with you additional baggage might be the least expensive option.
But then I would need to go buy extra luggage and I don't want to do that.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvanaaa View Post
I don't necessarily think you have to have "luggage" to ship excess baggage. In fact, I think there's a way where your so-called excess baggage could be shipped on an entirely different plane than the one you travel on. Look into it.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:01 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
People use cardboard boxes and/or Rubbermaid-type totes as "baggage" all the time. Have you never seen them on the bag claim carousels at the airport, all wrapped up in duct tape ?? But, they do still need to meet size and weight restrictions. Call the airline and ask.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:23 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvanaaa View Post
No you don't. I would recommend bringing essentials on the plane only, because airlines are so finicky. A few years ago I was moving back to the US from Asia, and I packed things I'd acquired into my two suitcases. No joke, one was about 3 lbs over the weight limit, the other was almost 10 below it. They said that they would charge me extra for that one bag unless I moved things around to get both under the weight limit. I had to move out of line and shuffle things around in the middle of the airport.

Also, if you haven't bought a plane ticket yet (and if you have the time) you could look into the Queen Mary II. I was considering a move to Europe and would have needed transportation for my dog plus my belongings, and I believe the luggage allowance was much more generous than what any airline offers. I'm not sure if it's still the same, because I last looked a couple years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues