U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving to North Texas Vs. Southern California
North Texas 8 50.00%
Southern California 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:36 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,043,285 times

Advertisements

Just a note that you may get even more answers on the City vs. City forum or in the respective geographic forums. Most topics on this particular forum appear to be about the actual moving process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,110,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Can you not take a week or 2 and make it a nice cross country drive ? It'd be a great way to see the US.
But it puts extra miles on my new car which means higher maintenance charges when I take it to the shop.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:12 PM

I guess my location will be confirmed in due time. But for now, it looks like North Texas is the way to go. However, the job in Southern California is more aligned with my professional interest, but I am concerned about the Income not being enough.

My Aunt lives in North Texas (Plano) and jobs I applied for are located in Arlington, Fort Worth, or Carrolton. I can rely on my aunt to drop me off at the DART station for a few days till my car arrives if I end up going to north Texas. So transportation for 2-3 days is not much of an issue. Once my car arrives, I will likely pack in the stuff and move into an apartment closer by.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-14-2014 at 04:24 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 PM

3,048 posts, read 6,556,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Additionally, How will I ship my brand new car to Southern California or North Texas. Is it stupid to allow my car to be shipped by freight and then hop onto a cross country train ride so that by the time my train arrives my car is already present at the final destination.
When I moved from MI to So Cal I had my car transported by a transport company. I then flew out there and rented a car for a few days till my car arrived.
Do you know what part of LA your job will be in if you were to relocate? I really enjoyed living in CA. I lived in a suburb called Thousand Oaks. The weather varies a lot though in So Cal. For example where I lived was often 20 degrees warmer then lets say Camarillo that was 20 minutes away. The cost of living is very high and many people rent because in a good area they could not afford to purchase. You also get less for your money. People commute far distances because often they cant afford a place near their job. Some people do take public transportation even if they own a car just so they don't have to battle that plus the gas prices. It is just not housing that is more expensive but basically everything else too.
I found people very friendly and helpful.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
When I moved from MI to So Cal I had my car transported by a transport company. I then flew out there and rented a car for a few days till my car arrived.
Do you know what part of LA your job will be in if you were to relocate? I really enjoyed living in CA. I lived in a suburb called Thousand Oaks. The weather varies a lot though in So Cal. For example where I lived was often 20 degrees warmer then lets say Camarillo that was 20 minutes away. The cost of living is very high and many people rent because in a good area they could not afford to purchase. You also get less for your money. People commute far distances because often they cant afford a place near their job. Some people do take public transportation even if they own a car just so they don't have to battle that plus the gas prices. It is just not housing that is more expensive but basically everything else too.
I found people very friendly and helpful.
Danny G, I will most probably be moving to Long Beach if I succeed in the interview.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:03 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,556,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Danny G, I will most probably be moving to Long Beach if I succeed in the interview.
Did you make a post on the CA forums asking about LB and pricing of rentals and other questions you have about living in LB?

Old 01-19-2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Did you make a post on the CA forums asking about LB and pricing of rentals and other questions you have about living in LB?
I will, once my job status is confirmed on the 23rd of january. Till then, Time to keep things on hold.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:21 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,483,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I've shipped several cars. You (or someone) will need to be there when they deliver to sign off on the car.

Can you not take a week or 2 and make it a nice cross country drive ? It'd be a great way to see the US.
We looked into shipping a our cars for a cross-country move, I think that if your car gets there before you do- they simply hold it at a storage area and then bring it to you when you arrive....

I think I filled out an online form requesting information from like three companies and my phone rang day and night for weeks with car shipping salemen!

When I factored in everything (airfare, rental car, shipping car) vs driving (gas, pushing the car closer to end of warranty) Shipping the car would have won out .

I've done a few moves where we've added time or activites during what we call the "in-betweens" and for the most part, I've found it hard to be as enjoyable as an actual vacation because my mind is still reviewing the outgoing situation (was everything take care of?) and going over mental checklists for the new situation...

Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 PM

18,004 posts, read 22,741,002 times
I'm from northern CA. Grew up in the SF Bay Area. I personally don't like southern California. It just seems less friendly overall - including people who work at motels and restaurants, etc., than northern CA. It's smoggy, the traffic is bad... I've never enjoyed going there.

OTOH, I have always loved Texas. People are really friendly. I love northern CA, but I could see myself living happily in TX, even though the weather isn't so great and the bugs are bigger lol!

It's a nice, very friendly culture in TX, and you already know the other positives. I vote TX.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 AM

556 posts, read 694,621 times
You couldn't pay me any amount of money to go back to Texas. Southern California has dramatic scenery, beautiful beaches, interesting culture, and features a world-class city. Dallas is hot, ugly, flat and far from the ocean. Rotten local politics aside (and make no mistake, they are rotten), I'd take the California job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues