Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:22 PM

66 posts, read 99,469 times

Advertisements

@Restrain I've been hearing a lot about Dalla/FW lately. I will look up some info on it. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 06:36 AM

367 posts, read 696,996 times
You should go on this website called Find your spot .com or look at this book called Cities Ranked and Rated.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:51 AM

@missmc66 Thank you! Some of the results I got were a few cities suggested to me. Very helpful thank you.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:14 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
You might also look at the Houston area for healthcare. Has MD Anderson, etc, world-class hospital systems, etc. Humid but no snow.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 AM

@Restrain Thank You!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:40 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,900 times
This might be an idea for you.

The job does not pay much but would give you a in at the University of Pittsburgh. Employees have great benefits and perks such as free use of the Mas transit system and after a year you can get free education.

Look for a roommate situation so your rent would be low. Pittsburgh is a prety cool place to live and it would give you a chance to move forward in your life.

Of course you would need to get here for the interview. Maybe a bus would be affordable... Make sure you have a good resume and references and make sure your application is complete. They will only accept applications through the portal on the link..

https://www.pittsource.com/postings/76641

I work at the University in another part of the same building. My job is related to cage wash so if you have questions I can probably answer them.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:04 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
BTW, Denton TX has a large university, UNT (35,000), lots of beginning jobs, low cost of living.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:40 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,145 times
Portland will be too expensive. Costs are similar to Seattle, but with less to show for it IMO.

Cali will all be too expensive.

Here are some cities to consider: (State listed if it is a smaller city)
Cities are ordered based on a fictional route through the country.

Boise ID, Denver, Albuquerque, Houston, Austin / Round Rock, San Antonio, Dallas (Texas has low COL, it gets several entries), Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Salt Lake City, Nashville, New Orleans (maybe, check price index, this might still make it), Jacksonville, Tampa, Atlanta, Raleigh.

Note: I have intentionally omitted cities that I know to not be walkable, but I can not confirm that every city in this list is walkable. If I don't know the walkable score, I included the city. These cities all meet reasonable levels for COL, and for weather, because being "walkable" but being 10 degrees outside with a windchill to negative 5 is not actually walkable, no matter how many nice paths are present.

Note: The entire Midwest was excluded for having winters that make walking to locations a very bad idea on many days. Indianapolis and Madison would be terrible places to live during the winter without a car. From my personal experience, they are terrible places to live during the winter even with a car, though people that don't like doing outdoorsy stuff, or that love temperatures around 0 F, may have very different feelings. No disrespect to Madison, a fine city, except for that bitter cold.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:41 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,145 times
PS. Denver and New Orleans appear to be the most expensive cities on the list, however they are less than 20% over the national average.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,133 times
The DAKOTAS Economy is Booming! If willing to work you'd get a job there!!...second choice is Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues