U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 AM

60 posts, read 80,778 times

Advertisements

@DaniellaG In my mind I was thinking there's no way I can get an apartment before securing a job. But after doing some research I learned I can offer to pay 6 months worth of rent upfront or sublet an apartment (hope I said it right) until I get something permanent. I'm interested in moving to Sacramento, CA or any other city in CA that is more affordable; or possibly Pennsylvania or another city in NY (where I currently reside). Honestly I'll be willing to flip burgers if that's what it takes to get my foot in the door but I'm hoping to get an administrative job in healthcare since I'm already working on my Bachelor's, and I have experience working in a medical setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 03:24 PM

365 posts, read 551,012 times
Fresno Ca may be more affordable I was checking out the area myself because I thought I may like to go to a technical school out there .The rent seemed to be cheaper than other areas.I also checked out Penn for some schools there and the rent in York,Harrisburg and Lancaster was cheaper than Philly.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 PM

3,048 posts, read 6,556,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinonup11 View Post
@DaniellaG In my mind I was thinking there's no way I can get an apartment before securing a job. But after doing some research I learned I can offer to pay 6 months worth of rent upfront or sublet an apartment (hope I said it right) until I get something permanent. I'm interested in moving to Sacramento, CA or any other city in CA that is more affordable; or possibly Pennsylvania or another city in NY (where I currently reside). Honestly I'll be willing to flip burgers if that's what it takes to get my foot in the door but I'm hoping to get an administrative job in healthcare since I'm already working on my Bachelor's, and I have experience working in a medical setting.
I am not that familiar with Sacramento but I have lived in CA though the area I was in was very expensive. Still most parts of CA even if they are not the greatest area are very expensive. I don't see how one with a child could make ends meet with a job in administrative work or flipping burgers. Child care could cost more then your income. I am not trying to be negative just realistic. If you want to move why not look at states with low cost of living but also safe/family oriented areas?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:47 PM

@missmc66 Thank you. I also looked into Fresno, CA and Harrisburg and I know I need to do a lot of research on the areas. I actually have been to Harrisburg and it looked similar to Philadelphia (have been there dozens of times) but I read that they filed for bankruptcy and that made me a little nervous; but I liked the feel of it. I will jot those down. Thank you.

@DaniellaG I appreciate the feed back. California is kind of a pipe dream for me so even if I never really make it there I always mention it, but I know it would be a really risky move. That's where Indianapolis, PA, and NY come in when it comes to family oriented and affordable. But I've been hearing a few negatives about the homicide rates of Indianapolis so I guess for now I'll do more research on other NY cities and places in PA.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:14 AM

18,004 posts, read 22,732,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinonup11 View Post
I lived in Sacramento, and I'm sure you could find something you could afford. I'm not familiar with which areas are not-so-good anymore, so you'd want to post on the Sacramento forum for specifics. There are good college options in Sacramento.

I'd say come to Redding, CA, as it's cheap to live here, but there isn't a college here that offers bachelor degrees. There are a lot of health care facilities here, though.

craigslist: redding classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

If you are interested in a nursing degree or some type of nursing type certificate, you can get that here. On this site, look on the left-hand side for list of certificates, etc.:

Health Sciences

You can make a lot more money as a nurse, and be able to find a good paying job wherever you live - if you are interested in that, at all.

If you want to go on and get a bachelor degree, you would have to finish in Chico, which is a really nice college town between Redding and Sacramento. Although, you might be able to do a lot of your coursework online, and just drive to Chico for any other classes.

There are state programs that help single moms while getting an education, like childcare, etc., too. Scroll down on this page to see different programs:

CalWORKs Home

I rented an apt to a young woman who was training to become an x-ray technician through one of these programs. She had a two year old.

Best wishes to you!

Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 AM

@NoMoreSnowForMe Thank you very much!! That's very encouraging and helpful information. I am open to any career change since I'm still young. I might actually like Nursing a little better too. Thank you for the links, I'm checking them out right now.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:28 AM

11 posts, read 9,445 times
Where are you planning on moving to? I'm wanting to move to Ga and thought of finding a roommate I have a daughter and a 2 year old granddaughter that would be moving with me. I'm like you roommate or extended stay.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:13 PM

11,027 posts, read 8,447,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
You might also look into what's available thru https://www.airbnb.com/ , but that could have some of the same "roommate" issues, and there could be some who don't take young children.
Some airbnb places allow you to rent the entire apartment on an extended basis. You have to sort by the ones for "enitre residence" and then contact the person to see if they will let you stay for an extended period. If you stay more than a month, you will want to do a written agreement or a short term lease.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 PM

@Wanting2Move I'm basically open when it comes to places to move to. Ideally I say California but I also like some parts of the south as well and PA.

@charlygal Thank you. I already checked it out a little bit, and the site is great and pretty affordable places are listed.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:12 PM

457 posts, read 504,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
I get that.

But can I give you a nickel's worth of advice for free?

Do not move until you have a job and a plan, and at least a few months of living expenses saved up..
How, pray tell, does one get a job without being there in person in the first place? These days no employer will hire sight-unseen from afar without you already LIVING THERE. Even if you are WAY more qualified than the hundreds of applicants they have already standing right there in front of them, geographically available while you are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues