U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 10:06 AM

362 posts, read 541,608 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done a major move in the dead of winter (with snow all over) from the northeast? If so, how did the weather impact the performance of the moving company?

I have outdoor furniture that is now covered in snow. Wondering if anyone had to deal with similar situation and how they handled the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 12:35 AM

6,432 posts, read 3,047,478 times
We're hoping to move(from Long Island) sometime between mid-Feb to mid-March. We moved patio furniture to the garage, so the only thing left is rocking chairs on the front porch which usually just get a dusting of snow.

I was originally planning to schedule the move for a couple of days before closing so we didn't have to hang out in an empty house/hotel or family until then. Now that you bring it up, may be a better idea to allow more time.

We have someone lined up to clear the drive and walks if necessary. Hubby has a shoulder prob that's just not worth aggravating.

Cant really do anything until we line up a closing date. Part of me is toying with the idea of scheduling around the weather and our convenience and just giving the attorney a POA to close if everything seems ok.

Do you have a move date? I'm sure movers are used to dealing with it and unless they wouldn't work in weather as cold as today, I would think the biggest issue is making sure your walks and driveway are clear.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:27 PM

381 posts, read 712,248 times
We moved in February from NE Ohio. Hubby was hoping the temps would drop so that the ground would be frozen. We have never had movers move us, so this was a Penske moving truck loaded with the help of friends but had to be carefully manuevered up our driveway to the back deck. Sure enough, not cold enough and the truck got stuck in the yard while trying to get it into position.

We have also had friends who moved during a snowstorm. I don't know, personally I would never wait to see how the weather was going to be when looking at booking my move. At least for self moves, the price goes up dramatically the shorter the notice.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:12 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,555,214 times
I think it depends on the day you move and what the weather will be like. If the snow is from a few days ago it wont be a big deal. If the moving day is snowing or icy then it will make things slower. Regardless since the movers feet will be wet I would have them put down a runner on the floor to not get the flooring ruined. I am not sure what you would do with the snow covered outdoor furniture. Do you have garage that it could melt in and dry?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:47 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,742,814 times
You can use a POA and pack up and GO. If you are using a local moving company, they know how to deal with the weather. UHaul? That is another issue. You might want to rent a storage unit for a couple of months, live in an extended-stay hotel for a while till things kinda thaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues