Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 03:18 AM

696 posts, read 904,594 times

Advertisements

I am a disabled guy on social secuiry disabilty income which only pays me $700 a month. I live hand to mouth with hardly enough to eat. I live in a very cold area with a lot of snow and I need to move to another state that is more warm becasue I have seasonal affective disorder and also the cold makes my arthritis worse and it is hard for me to get around in the snow. I cannot afford to move becasue of my limited income are there any reasorces to help disabled people move to a different state that will pay for them to move or help to cover some of the expenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Hello tar21 ---
I am not aware of any government programs that move people from state-to-state. Often times, if you have any living relatives or friends, you could ask them for some financial assistance. Or, if you are a member of a religious organization such as a church, perhaps they could help you.
I Googled your request and came up with a possibility. It is worth a try!
https://www.modestneeds.org/index.asp[/url] .
However, be careful with your decisions. You need to thoroughly research any possible move, ESPECIALLY the housing situation. Even if you have a portable Section 8 voucher to take with you, there may be no available units for you to move into immediately. If you are halfway through a waiting period in one place, you may have to go back to the end of the line in another place. Or they may not be accepting applications at all. All I can say is look before you leap!

Old 08-28-2015, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 15,149 times
I am a grandmother with custody of the child I'm trying to moving out of Chicago I'm looking for anyone to help us with this move I'm unemployed for medical reasons I'm waiting on ssdi approval if anyone knows of any agencies that will help this grandmother please let me know mshazeleyes34@yahool p.s my lease expires 9/26/2015 and the landlord wants us out so I'll be home after my housing is paid by hud thank God for that so please help me and my grandchild relocate to Texas please

Old 08-28-2015, 04:41 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times
Default I am in a similar situation, altho not disabled

I am elder and live on $960/month.

I can't imagine how you live on less!

I also want to move because I hate snow and ice.

I am sorry- do not know any org that helps with moving expenses.
Perhaps you can find a social worker who might know?

But this might be helpful:
Affordable Housing and Section 8 Waiting Lists Nationwide

If you sign up you get email notification of waiting list openings for subsidized housing everywhere in the country. (even Hawaii!).
Of course this doesn't help you manage your move, but if you can get together the moving expenses, at least you would have some ideas where to move to.

I am on the waiting list for subsidized housing in Albuquerque NM. They do not have brutal winters like NJ.
Do you know where you would like to move to?
Maybe we could ask administrators for a forum devoted to these issues....

best of luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I am a disabled guy on social secuiry disabilty income which only pays me $700 a month. I live hand to mouth with hardly enough to eat. I live in a very cold area with a lot of snow and I need to move to another state that is more warm becasue I have seasonal affective disorder and also the cold makes my arthritis worse and it is hard for me to get around in the snow. I cannot afford to move becasue of my limited income are there any reasorces to help disabled people move to a different state that will pay for them to move or help to cover some of the expenses?

Old 04-12-2016, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 13,497 times
I'm going to move Fort Oglethorpe.GA to Dunlap , TN. I'm disabled , I on Social Security Disabilty I make $733. Can you help me move. Thanks

Old 02-21-2017, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 10,876 times
Default China Jones68 Move to Texas from Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinajones68 View Post
I am a grandmother with custody of the child I'm trying to moving out of Chicago I'm looking for anyone to help us with this move I'm unemployed for medical reasons I'm waiting on ssdi approval if anyone knows of any agencies that will help this grandmother please let me know mshazeleyes34@yahool p.s my lease expires 9/26/2015 and the landlord wants us out so I'll be home after my housing is paid by hud thank God for that so please help me and my grandchild relocate to Texas please
Hi, I hope your move to Texas went well. I am hoping to move to west Texas from Northern Indiana. Similar situation. The place I live is a mobile home park that has been raising the rent, taking away services that were included in the rent, no longer do they have a lease/rental agreement that they will show in court. I want to move badly but I am disabled and lack a lot of mobility and they know it. I feel like they are costing me money and time and such an increasing rate, they want me to leave like so many others in this place have. The park is degraded from when I moved in. The occupancy is down by 30% even with new desperate people moving in. The park has changed management 8 times and the owners got sick of it and sold the whole property to some slum lord company in Chicago. Every so often I start thinking of just taking my money and whatever will fit in a truck and setting fire to the place so I can leave. I have friends in Texas but my family is spread out all over the country and can't help me anyway. I can do fine on my fair to average SS disability income if I can get away to better weather and less harassment from somebody like from the mobile park management. Maybe it is unrealistic to think that I can move all the way to Mid Northwest Texas all at once? Maybe I should move south of town to a cheaper park with less management stress, first, so I could save up more money to move all the way to Texas? But any move will cost $1500 or more, just 20 to 50 miles. Moving all the way to Texas at once, might only cost $3000, to move 1400 miles. I'm just scrimping and saving and selling stuff so I can move. It would be nice if some flea market place would help inventory and sell virtually all my things for a decent price, at least to reduce the amount of stuff to move to Texas. I really don't want to just empty my home out and sell it to some unlucky person who thinks its a good idea to move here. Its not a good idea to move here unless you have money to burn. I used to have a good job, but they laid us all off and moved the business to Mexico. I was still trying to work there while disabled, but now that point is moot. I'm debt free completely right now. But it seems like everyone and their brothers take this as incentive to try to steal money from me. I would take a live in handyman position somewhere in Texas even with paying some modest rent. I just need to get there. If anybody knows where I can get some help with any part of my plan, I would be really happy to hear from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues