U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:19 AM

5,678 posts, read 5,901,325 times

Advertisements

It amazes me how people are able to secure employment out of state. Aside from health care professionals, professionals such as engineers and job transfers, what type of jobs are these folks getting? Is the pay less than 50K? Are they experienced or entry level?

How did you do it?

I am primarily interested in white collar workers' experience. Job transfers do not count.

Industry:
Length of time in industry: Entry level, Experienced or Management.
How long did it take?
Is your pay more or less than $50,000?
Were you able to secure employment before you moved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 11:46 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,941,152 times
I was laid off in Savannah, Georgia in January 2011... looked locally for about 4 months with no luck so in early May I decided to go nationwide in my search... I typed "machinist jobs" into Google and got hits from coast to coast so I started sending resumes.

The next day I got a call from an employer in Seattle. I did the paperwork via email... did drug tests locally and after a few days had a phone/skype interview. A couple days later I got the job offer with a start date of 3 weeks away.

I spent a week selling off belongings (Uhaul was not economical) and packed up and drove across the country in 5 days. I secured a rental via Craigslist and started work here the following week.

Google is your friend!

Industry: Metalworking/Manufacturing
Length of time in industry: Experienced
How long did it take? A week or so from when I started my nationwide search till I had an offer in hand.
Is your pay more or less than $50,000? $70k last year.
Were you able to secure employment before you moved? Already posted details... would never have moved without a job.

Ironically I've been laid off twice since then. I worked that job 18 months and got a new job January 2013 with a big raise only to lose it in June... I was out of work 2 days before starting another job and was just laid off from it on Friday.

Not worried about it... unemployment is $570 a week and the economy in my field is pretty good out here (Boeing... etc) so I don't expect to be out of work long. I picked the right area to move to. If I were still in the south I wouldn't be so optimistic.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 PM

I guess you should be okay because there aren't a lot of people that can do your work. Why does your field lay off so frequently?

Old 01-26-2014, 02:17 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,941,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I guess you should be okay because there aren't a lot of people that can do your work. Why does your field lay off so frequently?
It's not the field... it's the employer. The job I spent 18 months at was a Fortune 500 company. I was a bit underpaid so I left for a significant raise with a mom and pop shop with 5 employees and got laid off... then the job I went to was the same thing... 4 employees... and I was laid off again Friday.

I'm not losing any sleep over being temporarily unemployed because you are right... there aren't a lot of people that can do my job and I'm in the best location in the USA for this type of work with Boeing and their suppliers all over the place.

Moving out here was the best decision of my life. I don't miss the south at all.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
It's not the field... it's the employer. The job I spent 18 months at was a Fortune 500 company. I was a bit underpaid so I left for a significant raise with a mom and pop shop with 5 employees and got laid off... then the job I went to was the same thing... 4 employees... and I was laid off again Friday.

I'm not losing any sleep over being temporarily unemployed because you are right... there aren't a lot of people that can do my job and I'm in the best location in the USA for this type of work with Boeing and their suppliers all over the place.

Moving out here was the best decision of my life. I don't miss the south at all.
Go for you.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:19 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,595,182 times
Industry: Nonprofit fundraising
Length of time in industry: Experienced
Is your pay more or less than $50,000? Less, but that was 10 years ago; now it's more.
Were you able to secure employment before you moved? Yes

Old 01-26-2014, 03:37 PM

587 posts, read 687,261 times
Industry: Government scientific research
Length of time in industry: 12 years
Entry level, Experienced or Management: Experienced
How long did it take? I interviewed in February and started in July.
Is your pay more or less than $50,000? More
Were you able to secure employment before you moved? Yes. (Finding a job was a prerequisite to moving.)

Basically, they hired me because I have a Ph.D. and am willing to spend a lot of time traveling.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:58 PM

I am noticing a trend. All of you guys have a specialized skill. I was afraid of that. I did not expect incomes to be over $50,000.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:59 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,556,578 times
Industry: State government, risk management
Length of time in industry: 20 years insurance claims, legal background, but no prior government work.
Entry level, Experienced or Management: Experienced
How long did it take?: started applying in July, interviewing in September, got an offer in December, starting in February.
Is your pay more or less than $50,000? Right about $50,000.
Were you able to secure employment before you moved? Yes. (Like Kittens, finding the job was a "must" in order to move).

My goal was to get to a certain state. I first started applying with private companies -- the very few who did "what I do" in this sparsely-populated state. I had some Skype interviews, but got no traction. I think if I had been in-state, I might have gotten at least one offer. I then started applying for government jobs -- federal, state, county jobs -- that seemed to fit with my background. I also made a point of applying for some I was overqualified for. I got referred for about 70% of them, and got to panel interviews for three. I got an offer from one of the three (the one I was most overqualified for) and took it.

I'm taking a pay cut, actually. But the goal was to get to our eventual retirement state, and I've met that goal. Salaries in general in the new state seem to be fairly low across the board. But, I don't think my new state has a lot of residents with my particular skill set. Hack, neither does my own state, anymore. Most of the work has been centralized in NYC, Chicago, Atlanta and LA. So I seemed like a good get for my new employer, even if it meant they had to take a chance on hiring someone from 1,300 miles away, sight unseen (my panel interview was by phone -- we've never met).

Old 01-26-2014, 05:20 PM

I understand what you mean about getting to your retirement state. Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues