Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:14 AM

162 posts, read 153,763 times

Advertisements

Finally made it out of home and I'll start moving my things in 2 weeks. I really want a bunch of things at my new place and I don't know where to get them from! I'm moving into a decent sized basement with my own bathroom. I have decided that I need a:

- Full size bed (my brother in law is telling me that I don't need a queen since it's just me). A comfortable one that can hold two people.

- A dimmable lamp - I want a normal colored lamp that I can dim and also a blue colored lamp [like this: but a lamp? Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting] Maybe a lamp in which I can hold different colored bulbs?..

- One good couch for when I invite my friends (preferably something that's also comfortable to sleep on)
- A few good chairs that are comfortable and that I can set aside for when I invite a few people. I'm sure I'll only be able to invite 3-4 people.

- A cool looking desk that I can do all of my work on with a few drawers that I can put all of my stuff into.
- A shelf?

Where can I get these items (preferably) brand new and for a good price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 12:30 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
Often times queen sets are not that much more then full. Even for one person I think queen is nicer. I got a very inexpensive desk at Target that was wood and sleek looking. I really liked it but it had to be assembled. I would think they would have a shelf too and possibly an inexpensive lamp. I am not sure what state you are in but many furniture stores have clearance departments where you could get some good deals. Another place for a lamp that dims would be Home Depot. If you have an Ikea near that would be another option for affordable things.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Often times queen sets are not that much more then full. Even for one person I think queen is nicer. I got a very inexpensive desk at Target that was wood and sleek looking. I really liked it but it had to be assembled. I would think they would have a shelf too and possibly an inexpensive lamp. I am not sure what state you are in but many furniture stores have clearance departments where you could get some good deals. Another place for a lamp that dims would be Home Depot. If you have an Ikea near that would be another option for affordable things.

I am in NYC. Thank for the tip! So basically Target, Ikea and local furniture stores. What about those lamps that have different colors. Where do you get those from?

Old 02-01-2014, 06:24 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
I definitely agree about the bed. You can also get a better selection of bedding in the queen size.

Have you considered a good quality futon rather than a sofa or sofa bed?

I like Pier One for reasonably priced but interesting things from furniture to accessories to dinnerware, many with an Asian look/feel. I love that you can get lots of funky colored stuff there, too. Pottery Barn has some interesting things, too, but it's pricier than Pier One.

You might look on-line. Hayneedle, Ikea, and even Amazon have delivery to your door. I bought a flat screen tv through Amazon and the guy who delivered it not only brought it into my house but took it out of the box and made sure that it worked (ie, powered up).

If you are looking for something unusual, you can just search for that thing on line, too. I acquired an old brass lamp that had one glass shade but was missing the other. I couldn't find that exact glass shade on line (it was probably 50 years old if it was a day) but I did find 2 new ones that fit exactly for a reasonable price, so now that old lamp is in my living room.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I definitely agree about the bed. You can also get a better selection of bedding in the queen size.

Have you considered a good quality futon rather than a sofa or sofa bed?

I like Pier One for reasonably priced but interesting things from furniture to accessories to dinnerware, many with an Asian look/feel. I love that you can get lots of funky colored stuff there, too. Pottery Barn has some interesting things, too, but it's pricier than Pier One.

You might look on-line. Hayneedle, Ikea, and even Amazon have delivery to your door. I bought a flat screen tv through Amazon and the guy who delivered it not only brought it into my house but took it out of the box and made sure that it worked (ie, powered up).

If you are looking for something unusual, you can just search for that thing on line, too. I acquired an old brass lamp that had one glass shade but was missing the other. I couldn't find that exact glass shade on line (it was probably 50 years old if it was a day) but I did find 2 new ones that fit exactly for a reasonable price, so now that old lamp is in my living room.
No I haven't. I've slept on bare floors for so long so it doesn't really matter though. Aren't queen sized beds far more expensive than full size? I haven't checked online yet for things. I will in a bit. I looked online for a futon. It looks more like something similar to a couch that you'd want your friends to sit on after you invite them over.

I'll try to do a search for those blue lights, they look really cool. Thanks for this post, I'll be checking all of the sites you mentioned in a bit and update. Feel free to post any other suggestions. I'm just very excited!!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:44 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
My last bed I got the queen I think was 40 dollars more. Beds are expensive for a good one but often places like Macys for example has them on sale. You know Big Lots has mattress sets and inexpensive sofas as well that are very cheap.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:30 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
Lovebird,

Be sure if you go with a queen size bed that the box spring will fit down the stairs to your basement apartment. The mattress has some bend, but, not a box spring. You can get a "split" box spring for a queen size mattress - but, you will need to specify you want a split box spring. Also, for a queen size mattress you will need the heavier gauge metal frame.

For that matter, before you buy any size mattress and box spring - be sure you can get it down the stairs. The stairs and turning radius of some places are not always designed to maneuver larger size mattresses and box springs. So, check the available access route before you buy the mattress.

Mary2014

Old 02-01-2014, 04:10 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebird- View Post
Finally made it out of home and I'll start moving my things in 2 weeks. I really want a bunch of things at my new place and I don't know where to get them from! I'm moving into a decent sized basement with my own bathroom. I have decided that I need a:

- Full size bed (my brother in law is telling me that I don't need a queen since it's just me). A comfortable one that can hold two people.

- A dimmable lamp - I want a normal colored lamp that I can dim and also a blue colored lamp [like this: but a lamp? Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting] Maybe a lamp in which I can hold different colored bulbs?..

- One good couch for when I invite my friends (preferably something that's also comfortable to sleep on)
- A few good chairs that are comfortable and that I can set aside for when I invite a few people. I'm sure I'll only be able to invite 3-4 people.

- A cool looking desk that I can do all of my work on with a few drawers that I can put all of my stuff into.
- A shelf?

Where can I get these items (preferably) brand new and for a good price?
Quote:
I heartily agree about getting the queen bed. It is much easier to buy sheets for queen size beds, too.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:03 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Lovebird,

Be sure if you go with a queen size bed that the box spring will fit down the stairs to your basement apartment. The mattress has some bend, but, not a box spring. You can get a "split" box spring for a queen size mattress - but, you will need to specify you want a split box spring. Also, for a queen size mattress you will need the heavier gauge metal frame.

For that matter, before you buy any size mattress and box spring - be sure you can get it down the stairs. The stairs and turning radius of some places are not always designed to maneuver larger size mattresses and box springs. So, check the available access route before you buy the mattress.

Mary2014
This happened to my neighbors when they moved into their house!!! I suspect that I will probably need a split box spring when I buy a queen set for my upstairs bedroom.

OP, a futon looks likes a sofa, but part of it pulls out to form a double bed. It's far more comfortable to sleep on than a traditional sleeper sofa.

I second Big Lots. You might also check out thrift stores for tables, kitchen/dining chairs etc.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Lovebird,

Mary2014
Yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues