Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:49 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengdu Nanhai View Post
Dating scene isn't a major factor for me to consider. And you are absolutely right, Houston would really be ideal for me if I can stomach the scorching summer. Last time I visited Houston during the summer was more than 5 years ago, perhaps I should visit again this summer... I will look into NC cities and Atlanta more.

If you think Houston is a good fit other than weather, put Dallas area into the mix as well. Dallas is hot too but have 4 seasons with a nicer fall and spring that Houston. Dallas is highly diverse as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 07:51 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times
Definitely Seattle!

There are totally places in your price range there, you just have to know what neighborhoods to look into. In fact, I'd take your query over to the Seattle forum. They'll be happy to help you out.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:30 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
How about Denver or Denver metro?
Sounds like it would fit all your criteria.
Denver does not fit all of the OPs criteria. Denver gets well above 90 degrees for long periods of time, has a long winter (though somewhat mild), and a minimalistic Asian community.

1. San Francisco and 2. Seattle fit the OPs criteria much better.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:44 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
It's true that Denver's Asian demographic is nowhere near that of the Bay Area (which probably would be too expensive for the OP's budget as stated above) but there's a fairly strong Asian community.

Denver's Asian Ambiance

I lived in Denver for years and like the OP, I'm a cold-weather lover. Denver's summers can be hot, but very dry and the winters are sunny and milder overall than SE Michigan (where I live currently.) I didn't mind the summers there at all.

Just thought I'd throw Denver out as an idea to look into. Seattle and that entire region may well be a great fit too, depending on real estate costs.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Dallas has a significant Chinese population (Korean too) particularly in Plano, Carrollton and Richardson. It also has an economy that is doing well, a good place to start or build on a career. It does get very hot there in summertime and it snows/ice on average a couple of times a year, but it generally melts within a day or two.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Ni hao Chengdu Nanhai.

Boston, and the towns around metro Boston, have a pretty good sized Chinese population due to all the colleges and high tech/biotech industry there, and Boston has a Chinatown area downtown and a major airport. The climate should be a bit more moderate the South East Michigan (Ann Arbor?) in terms of heat in the summer and cold in the winter. However, the housing prices are high due to the attractiveness of the area. You could live outside the city and take the T into work and still have a pretty good Asian community where ever you end up. But, the Boston suburbs are also not cheap due to having some great school systems.

New York City is the same - expensive housing, but a huge and sprawling Chinese community between northern New Jersey, NYC itself (with two Chinatowns), Long Island, Westchester County and into southwestern Connecticut. The climate will be a bit warmer than Boston, but the winters should be a bit more moderate than either Michigan or Boston. However, most of these areas are also not cheap.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:45 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Dallas has a significant Chinese population (Korean too) particularly in Plano, Carrollton and Richardson. It also has an economy that is doing well, a good place to start or build on a career. It does get very hot there in summertime and it snows/ice on average a couple of times a year, but it generally melts within a day or two.
Dallas doesn't have a close density of Asians like Houston. There is no Chinatown in Dallas, but there is a Chinatown/street in Houston. The Asians in Dallas are not as concentrated as the ones in Houston.

Houston do have cold winter weather; it's just that their summer is longer. it's less than 50 degree now in Houston.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:50 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
If you are considering relocating to Boston then I would highly recommend that you check out the Washington DC area as well. While it is expensive compared with other cities, you have access to three large airports so travelling to other states/countries should be relatively easy and/or affordable. Plus the area is highly educated and diverse with a substantial Chinese community (mostly concentrated in Montgomery County in Maryland and Fairfax County in Northern Virginia), and you have a four season climate that tends to be mild compared with other regions of the country.

I would look into Chicago and Philadelphia as well since they meet your requirements as well.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
How about Denver or Denver metro?
Sounds like it would fit all your criteria.
Denver is in the 90's in the summers. I don't know if that's too hot for the OP or not. Seattle might be a better fit, if he doesn't mind a lot of overcast weather, rain, drizzle. The winters are relatively mild, though, and there are definitely Asians around. But I don't know if he could get a condo for his price point. Maybe outside the city somewhere. OP could also consider Olympia, WA, for better affordability.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:20 PM

120 posts, read 175,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Why not?
I guess I am pretty comfortable with meeting new people and making new friends wherever I go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues