U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 09:50 AM

59 posts, read 76,295 times

Advertisements

Here is another thread about driving the trek.

I read majority of the threads on West to East moves but I guess I want to answer some specific questions.

Me:
Leaving in early March. Most likely the 2nd week of March.
Young 40s (married and 2 kids but they are not with me in country)
Bringing a 2012 Honda Odyssey (everything is in good condition and car has been checked.)
About 5 medium (Home Depot) box worth of stuff and my road bicycle

The first debate:
1. Get a car hauler and ship my car out there? Estimated price is around $1300. The other costs will be to ship my road bicycle out plus clothes to my new address. I may need to pay for a flight or if I get lucky... my company will pay for it. Not 100% sure but i would rather depend on the worst case and expect to pay for my own flight. I expect to pay around $2000 total.
2. Just drive to DC myself. Its approximately 2600+. Google maps says it will be 38 hours on the I-40. The cost I estimate is around $1100.
6 tanks of gas = $80 per fill up = $480
4 hotel nights = $100 per night = $400
4 days of eating and snacks = $200

Questions about #2
a. Is there anything blatant that I am missing?
b. Am I just fooling myself?

The second debate:
Assuming that I dont choose #1 (unless someone knows a good cross-country car hauler?) I am thinking about going #2 and drive myself down there.
1. Drive myself there solo. Im expecting at least 10-12 hours of driving a day then plan on on the route hotels. Im not sure if 10-12 hours is too aggressive since Im a "sensitive" (sensitive=cranky) old man these days. My trip plan:
Day 1 - Orange County to Albuquerque, NM (google maps says 11 hours)
Day 2 - Albuquerque, NM to Little Rock, Arkansas (google maps says 12 hours)
Day 3 - Little Rock to Knoxville, TN (google maps says 8 hours)
Day 4 - Knoxville to DC (google maps says 7 hours)
2. Try to find someone on craigslist that is going to the East Coast? I know it sounds weird but other than getting chopped up in little pieces... is this just an absurd idea?

Questions about #1
a. Is it too aggressive to drive that amount of hours? What do the more experienced drivers say/feel?
b. Any gotchas that can be shared?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 11:22 AM

28,390 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aythan View Post
Leaving in early March. Most likely the 2nd week of March.
Bringing a 2012 Honda Odyssey... About 5 medium box worth of stuff and my road bicycle
Stay south (as in I-10/20) as far as Atlanta before heading north (I-85/95)
Later in the year (warmer/dryer) you could go more north.

Quote:
1. Get a car hauler...
Nah. A road trip is good for a car.
Take your time. Plan for a couple of fun or touristy stops too.
(Phoenix, Austin, San Antonio, NOLA, Atlanta, etc)

Quote:
2. Try to find someone on craigslist that is going to the East Coast?
No effin way. Even Couch Surfing is suspect for that sort of commitment.

If you don't have personal experience of the person you don't want to be
in a car with them for the time it takes to drive CC. It's that simple.
Two degree's of separation... max.

On that point...
Don't plan your trip down to the minute.
You can't go far without seeing a motel, gas station and a Denny's Grand Slam.

Stop when you're tired and eat when you're hungry...
and never let the gas go lower than 1/4 tank.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:23 PM

381 posts, read 712,248 times
I personally would not attempt 11-12 hours of driving in a day. When we moved from MN to SoCal we drove no more than 8 hours a day -- 4 of us split between 2 vehicles. Why do you need to be in such a hurry? Be smart and don't overdo it. You may be surprised to find some good hotels that are quite a bit less than $100 per night (I would make that your absolute max). If you stay in hotels that offer a breakfast that will save on one meal. We tried to pack things that we could use for lunches, but sometimes you just have to stretch and get out of that car!

From what I have heard from my hubby, you need to be aware of the gas stations in the southwest. Letting your tank get down to 1/4 could be asking for trouble. Find out where the stations will be along the highways so you will not be surprised and wonder if you might run out -- not a good situation to be in.

Enjoy your adventure!

Old 02-18-2014, 07:29 PM

59 posts, read 76,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAtHeart View Post
I personally would not attempt 11-12 hours of driving in a day. When we moved from MN to SoCal we drove no more than 8 hours a day -- 4 of us split between 2 vehicles. Why do you need to be in such a hurry? Be smart and don't overdo it. You may be surprised to find some good hotels that are quite a bit less than $100 per night (I would make that your absolute max). If you stay in hotels that offer a breakfast that will save on one meal. We tried to pack things that we could use for lunches, but sometimes you just have to stretch and get out of that car!

From what I have heard from my hubby, you need to be aware of the gas stations in the southwest. Letting your tank get down to 1/4 could be asking for trouble. Find out where the stations will be along the highways so you will not be surprised and wonder if you might run out -- not a good situation to be in.

Enjoy your adventure!
Not in a hurry per se but its more about a new job that requires me to be on that side of the continent. Im a traveling consultant and I was thinking of going in between gigs. I have about 6 days before my next gig... otherwise I would need to go to the nearest major airport to fly out and then come back in 2 days due to seeing the "next customer."

Old 02-18-2014, 07:55 PM

6,597 posts, read 6,794,633 times
We drove from Tucson to Wilmington, DE in September, 2012 (about 2500 miles). It took us 5 days and 4 nights. Even with cats, we only paid $70-80 per night for hotels. We were also towing a trailer, so our speed was limited.

We like the southern route - I-10 through AZ, NM, TX, LA, and MS, and then angling upward on I-65, 75, 85, 95. I-20 goes through oil country, which smells nasty, and then you have to drive through the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area. Even at 8pm, that interstate is BUSY. Also, despite all the stinky oil wells, there is somehow a dearth of gas stations. You could easily get in trouble in that area.

On I-10 in west Texas, you will need to make sure you fill up, too. And you have to be extra careful between Fort Stockton and Van Horn. We usually stay at the Days Inn in Van Horn. It's cheap, and they have complimentary breakfast. They even have a Belgian waffle iron for you to make fresh waffles. Our next overnight stop is usually in Ocean Breezes, MS, where there's a Quality Inn. The water is so soft there, you almost feel like you can't get the soap off. The other stops up the Eastern states weren't that memorable.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or