Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 AM

21 posts, read 52,267 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We just put our house on the market here in NH and are relocating to Collierville. We need to decide if we let our kids (grade 7 and 8) finish the school year (mid June) or relocate in March ??

Some say it's better to relocate so they make new friends before the summer and other say to finish school year and start fresh next week....

What's your take on this....can anyone share their experience, I need advice!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
From NH to Tenn?

I would let finish there year in NH. But.. I would start looking (NOW) for activities for them to do over the summer so that can make some friends going into new school year.

One thing to keep in Mind School STARTS at the beginning of August.

It will be harder on your 7th grader then your 8th Grader, Going into HS everyone is 'new' as they merger many Middle schools in to High schools. Most plan some activities to merge them.

Check with the middle school (in TN) see if they can set up a peer for each of your children. "a Facebook" friend maybe.

If any of them do sports, contact the appropriate coach, and if there are 'spring/summer' practices that they do, and what your child can do to be ready to join when you arrive.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
We moved over the summer and I have to say it was rough - the kids didn't know anybody, we moved in August when most people are on vacation, and their anxiety seemed to ratchet up by the day. Once school started they finally calmed down and they all made friends on the first day. So, I will say that moving over the summer is certainly easier from an adult perspective, but when you move in the middle of the school year, the kids probably don't have time to think about it. Plus, kids know that your kids are new and may more of an effort to get to know them. The other day my nephew, who is a freshman in HS, saw a new kid sitting by himself and got his friends and went to sit with him

Either way you're kids are going to be nervous, you have to see what might work best for you. I honestly think at your kids' ages it might be tough to start the new year on Day 1 - because (especially in HS) kids will assume they came from another local school. Meaning, if your HS draws kids from middle school A and middle school B, the kids from A will think he came from B, and so on. My nephew started in high school as the new kid and that's what happened to him.

Good luck with your move. If your kids are in band or on a sport that will help.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,725,848 times
Do they play any competitive fall sports? If so, you may need to switch them in March so they will be there in time to try out. If not, I would lean towards moving in the summer.
We moved in Jan. of one of my middle school years, and that Spring was terrible. I was bullied, had a hard time making friends, etc. It was the only bad school experience I ever had. I went back to the same school the next fall, and it was a completely different experience. I really wish my parents had waited and let me finish that school year.
If you do wait for the summer, I agree with the other posters, start looking for things for them to do over the summer to make friends. Summer activity sign ups are starting now.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 AM

21 posts, read 52,267 times
Thanks for the advice... Yes we will be moving from NH to Collierville Tennessee.

I was thinking that changing school now may be better since they get settle in with the new school, make friends and enjoy the summer instead of stressing all summer until school start in August. Also both my kids will be in the same school for the rest of the year so that should help. They are both great students so they should be able to catch up. Any preference on Middle schools in Collierville Tn, any one we should stay away from??

Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
For school / location I would post (re) into the Memphis Forum. School are location specific and the people in the area you are moving to would be your best for help about school, activities, where to live / (not).

http://www.city-data.com/forum/memphis/

Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,351 times
As a teacher, I think it is the proverbial 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other, depending on the kids, family situation, & housing situation.

I have seen kids transfer in late year, where fellow students will via for their attention to get a new friend! There is something to be said for having those last weeks of school to get acclimated & oriented to the school so that in the fall first day of school isn't a double wammy! First day is always nervous for all kids. First day + new is a double wammy.

Perhaps you could choose what will be the easiest for the family. Perhaps if finances play into it, that will be the determining factor, or which will keep the whole family together may determine the choice.

I like your idea of going now & getting it over! I think you may have a gut-feeling there as to what would be best for your kids & family.

Good luck with the move!!

Old 01-29-2013, 01:19 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,184,653 times
Are there summer activities in the area where you are moving? My choice would be to finish school where you are and let the kids make friends at the pool or other summer activitiy.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,553 times
in 2002 we moved just before school started in August - 7th grader made friends quickly (though she was very MAD at us for moving her). Other child just began kindergarten that year - so no problems. Fast forward 9 years - dad moved to new job in Feb and we stayed until school got out - so girls started 6th and 9th grade at beginning of new year. 2012 - daughter moved with me to begin 10th grade at new school in AZ - 7th grader joined us during Christmas holidays and started new AZ school at the Semester break. She is doing fine and has made friends. Now I just wish I was making more friends.

Good Luck!!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:07 PM

738 posts, read 2,574,862 times
Keep in mind our schools let out before memorial day, if you're in NH, it's most likely mid-June. They'd lose a month of school. We moved in the middle of the year, and it was tough, but it was better that our family was all together with all the stress of a new job, etc. Good luck and welcome to Collierville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues