Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 03:44 PM

30 posts, read 75,048 times

Advertisements

I might be moving back to the east coast soon (unfortunately) and for now I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to move my 1 BR apartment. The PODS or Upack thing sounds great, except I live in an apartment in downtown San Diego, there is no room for a POD anywhere. I'm sure plenty of people have had this problem (especially those living in major cities), does anybody know how to do this? Can you drive all your stuff to a location where the POD is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 05:20 PM

389 posts, read 911,617 times
Do you have any friends who have a traditional home with a driveway or front curb that they would be willing to let you use? I do believe ABF allows you to bring your items to their location, but we used the big trailer option for a much bigger home that your apartment. Definitely make some phone calls and ask.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:41 PM

7,466 posts, read 13,457,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfrawg View Post
I might be moving back to the east coast soon (unfortunately) and for now I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to move my 1 BR apartment. The PODS or Upack thing sounds great, except I live in an apartment in downtown San Diego, there is no room for a POD anywhere. I'm sure plenty of people have had this problem (especially those living in major cities), does anybody know how to do this? Can you drive all your stuff to a location where the POD is?
Yes. For sure ABF's Upack offers this method. Not sure about PODS.

See http://blog.upack.com/posts/do-it-yo...ies-abf-u-pack where it says:

"For those who want to cut their moving expenses even further, U-Pack is able to offer a terminal-to-terminal moving option. Instead of the moving equipment delivered to you for loading/unloading, you go to the moving equipment located at the ABF Service Center closest to your origin and destination"

Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 PM

30 posts, read 75,048 times
Ok thanks for the responses, I'm just try to plan everything out ahead of time now, I'm beyond stressed having been unemployed for close to 4 months so this is one less thing to have to worry about.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 15,755 times
Hi - I was doing similar research this week, and wanted to suggest that you call the local ABF terminal near you (if you call the 1800 number, they are super helpful.) I live in NYC, and they told me they have an option to do a "live load" where the truck comes to you, and they bring the cubes to the curb and stay with them as you move in for a 4 hour window. In the end, I chose to load at the terminal (they reduce their fees slightly if you choose this option.) I'm renting a u-haul for about $50, and I hired "labor only" movers who will help me load the u-haul, and then come with me to the terminal to lock it all into the relocubes - it's costing me about $400 to do this, but it's still WAY cheaper than any other option in NYC. I would imagine it would be even cheaper for you in San Diego. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues