Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 03:36 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times

Advertisements

That's me. I was born and raised in Miami and have lived all over FL, Charlotte and currently here in Denver. Although I'd love to go back to Miami the bf and I are considering a new city together. We have no kids and both can get a job anywhere. (waitress, car sales/mgr)

Old 04-02-2015, 07:44 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disconcerted View Post
I may have posted this wrongly in another section, and just got visually assaulted and battered by another member. I hope people aren't like that around here. The whole, "you won't be happy anywhere, just kill yourself" mentality

Anyhow...I don't see what's the issue. Basically, in a nutshell...I just find that after living in a city for awhile, usually after 1-2 years, things just stop working for me. I've never lived in NYC, or California though. The cities I live, are cities that in other states I hear people tell me, "ugh, I'd never move there. Too hot, too humid, too cold, too snowy, etc" So clearly there IS NO perfect city. But, it's nothing in particular I'm doing or not doing...but it almost seems that it just naturally happens after awhile. I'll admit I'm in the under 30s category, single and no kids. I spent the 1st 20 years of my life living in one state. I didn't have this 'urge' to leave because that's all I knew. Any talks of moving were frightening to me. When my X would talk to me about moving, I could never see myself leaving my home state.

Now some 10 years later, I finally understood everything my X was going thru at the time...and I feel so bad for making it seem like HE had an issue. He eventually moved on, and we've long lost contact.

When I say things 'stop working', it's everything from motivation to meeting people to work-related. I don't want to go into the long details of exactly what it is, but it's hard to explain. It's just the fact of there seems to eventually end up being the same old people, same old options, same old bars (and Lord, I'm so sick of the 2 or 3 bars my friends attend faithfully EVERY SINGLE WEEK), same everything. It's like dude, how do you not get tired of this same routine every week? I'm only sane because I travel as often as I can...but coming home afterwards, I just get frustrated all over again after a few days.

Is there anyone who have jobs/lifestyles that allow them to make these type of transitions? Also, why do people associate wanting to relocate often as some sort of character flaw?
You haven't found a place yet that you love. I've lived in many places, but most of the places were of the great weather variety. I've lived in Miami, San Diego and LA and i would say that if you live in either of those 3 places, and you still want to leave after 1 or 2 years, than its on you as opposed to the fact that you just haven't found what you're looking for.

My advice to you is simple. Moving and trying something new is the greatest thing you can do. You won't ever regret a change because if you don't like it, you can always go back...but you can regret not making the move.

You're still young and you need to "Grow" and moving around will help you do that.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:05 AM

152 posts, read 208,721 times
Some people who live RV lifestylestyle do manage to temp in this manner. You can find a lot of temporary work on craigslist. Many do get rehired year after year for seasonal stuff... Cheapest & easiest option is taking care of campgrounds at national or state parks during summer then winter down south in same manner or private parks in winter. Some can travel as technical writers doing projects lasting 3-6 months writing training manuals. You can also write off most of your expenses as it is contractor work... Rv makes it convenient if you can tolerate the back of the trailer park some of the time & don't carry a lot of stuff that looks expensive. Backpacks for computers are best...

Old 04-07-2015, 11:40 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,935,908 times
If you are in the military this happens your whole career.. No biggie, I rather liked it.. New people to meet, new friends to make, new places to see and things to try....

Old 04-17-2015, 09:01 AM

93 posts, read 101,229 times
First thing that comes to mind is job hopping. Employers will start to wonder if you are committed. This may or may not be your case.

Exciting way to live..kind of envious

Old 04-18-2015, 11:37 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
In the last five years, I've lived in five different cities. Three I have liked, two I have not. I don't think the desire to move around and see different places (unless one is just a perpetual malcontent) is a bad thing.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:53 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
If I had the financial resources, I'd move every few years, but also places abroad. That would be my personal heaven. And, movers who do it all, of course, would be no problem. I'd just show up at the address.

When I look at the deeper reason of all of my moves, in hindsight, I think it was due to not wanting to have only 1 view of life or people or ways of being. So, it's a broadening experience. None of them perfectly "fit" because I could never be put in 1 box. Hehe. And, it's been a good thing for me.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:48 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
You haven't found a place yet that you love. I've lived in many places, but most of the places were of the great weather variety. I've lived in Miami, San Diego and LA and i would say that if you live in either of those 3 places, and you still want to leave after 1 or 2 years, than its on you as opposed to the fact that you just haven't found what you're looking for.

My advice to you is simple. Moving and trying something new is the greatest thing you can do. You won't ever regret a change because if you don't like it, you can always go back...but you can regret not making the move.

You're still young and you need to "Grow" and moving around will help you do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
In the last five years, I've lived in five different cities. Three I have liked, two I have not. I don't think the desire to move around and see different places (unless one is just a perpetual malcontent) is a bad thing.
I can definitely agree with the views/opinions above. The best time in a person's life (imho) is to do this (on a regular/semi regular basis) is when one is young (whatever that 'young' age may be), without children and accumulated personal possessions and household belongings.

Even at my age (past 50+) I would consider it if I did not have all the trappings of a modern life because it is a great deal of work AND it is not an inexpensive endeavor at all! It takes work, time and money to move households from here to there and everywhere, otherwise I could definitely become a hobo and just seeing the world at large.

Different people, different lifestyles and different places in their lives; it's all a matter of where one is at in their life at any given time.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:26 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,096,602 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, if that is what you desire, for yourself. I just am at the point in life where I am, I will be 31 in a little over a month, ready to settle down create my roots in a place. I remember when I was growing up I would have these sessions on the weekends to rearrange my room because I got tired of the way it was. I would do this every so often. When I first moved out of parent's home I was excited. Now after my 3rd move, I realize that minor compared to most here in regards to number of moves, that I am just tired of the emotionally exhaustion of moving. It can take its toll on you and your psych. Ready to settle down and create a place to call. I also realized I have to be happy with me. I can't rely on the hopes of moving to a city and it magically making me feel whole or complete. It has to come from within. Okay I am starting to ramble so will shut up but it is something to think about in life.

Last edited by Rangerdude_Charlie; 04-19-2015 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-25-2015, 06:45 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,102 times
I fall on the "desire for a nomadic lifestyle" part of the spectrum. I do like to move, every 3-4 years. However, once we had kids, we had to alter that a bit. Well, I should say I chose to alter that. I want stability for my kids. They can choose a nomadic lifestyle when they are adults, if they like. I don't want to force it one them. So we've moved twice in their lifetimes- once when they were all 3 and under, and once recently, with three tweens. We won't move again until they have graduated high school, but then all best are off.

As a child, birth through high school, I lived in one town. Since that time, I've lived in 6 different states. I really like change. When we stayed put for 10 years (and now staying put again for 8 years, until the youngest graduates high school), I compensated by varying my career a bit, and we moved house 4 times (sometimes by necessity, sometimes by choice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues