Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:32 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disconcerted View Post
I may have posted this wrongly in another section, and just got visually assaulted and battered by another member. I hope people aren't like that around here. The whole, "you won't be happy anywhere, just kill yourself" mentality

Anyhow...I don't see what's the issue. Basically, in a nutshell...I just find that after living in a city for awhile, usually after 1-2 years, things just stop working for me. I've never lived in NYC, or California though. The cities I live, are cities that in other states I hear people tell me, "ugh, I'd never move there. Too hot, too humid, too cold, too snowy, etc" So clearly there IS NO perfect city. But, it's nothing in particular I'm doing or not doing...but it almost seems that it just naturally happens after awhile. I'll admit I'm in the under 30s category, single and no kids. I spent the 1st 20 years of my life living in one state. I didn't have this 'urge' to leave because that's all I knew. Any talks of moving were frightening to me. When my X would talk to me about moving, I could never see myself leaving my home state.

Now some 10 years later, I finally understood everything my X was going thru at the time...and I feel so bad for making it seem like HE had an issue. He eventually moved on, and we've long lost contact.

When I say things 'stop working', it's everything from motivation to meeting people to work-related. I don't want to go into the long details of exactly what it is, but it's hard to explain. It's just the fact of there seems to eventually end up being the same old people, same old options, same old bars (and Lord, I'm so sick of the 2 or 3 bars my friends attend faithfully EVERY SINGLE WEEK), same everything. It's like dude, how do you not get tired of this same routine every week? I'm only sane because I travel as often as I can...but coming home afterwards, I just get frustrated all over again after a few days.

Is there anyone who have jobs/lifestyles that allow them to make these type of transitions? Also, why do people associate wanting to relocate often as some sort of character flaw?
It's not a character flaw unless you are hurting your children in some way (which you don't have) or failing to have an income paying into your present or future security. If you like it - do it. But you don't sound like it's the PLACE that's your problem, just reading what you wrote. Also some people have INTERESTS like theater, cycling, volleyball whatever. So they follow their interests or passions. That doesn't include bars LOL. Unless you're performing in one.

IT's not that complicated for me. I hate snow and that will rule out many US locations however I WOULD move back to my hometown of Philly snow and all if I had a LARGE LARGE nest egg where I could afford to live in a nice high rise downtown and not have to go OUT in SNOW LOL and travel to warm climate whenever I want. Because it's MY KIND of city/people. And I love the Jersey shore.

I've lived many places including Greece. Once you're not a TOURIST in your brain- EVERYTHING changes.

Some people LOVE TO WORK and it's a matter of career satisfaction found that keeps them from jeopardizing that established career (or family roots)....not other things.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:59 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Some people abhor the peripatetic life because they yearn to put down "roots". This is often synonymous with having a spouse and children, and the environment for raising those children. Yet another consideration is that a career requires permanence, typically direct association with one employer.

Culturally, we tend to view the gypsy life as flamboyant and exciting, yet also unsubstantial and somehow immature. To constantly be on the move, implies a lack of stuff that needs to be moved, and that means not amassing the accolades and accoutrements that bespeak the adult life, the established life, the life of a routine where people are free to think about their contributions to the world, instead of their next address.

And then there's the sentiment that the person who moves frequently does so because he ruined his previous place, burning through friendships and resulting in a poor reputation, from which it is necessary to escape. But to me this sounds like imputing the most sinister motives to what could just be natural restlessness or curiosity.

The freedom of having no permanent address must be balanced with the freedom from worrying about where to go next. If a person lacks family ties and isn't pursuing a career that requires an anchored, sessile life, then there indeed is nothing wrong with frequent moving.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 AM

29 posts, read 73,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I been doing it for over 20 years now, but moving all over the world. Have not lived in one place more than two years, except one place for five years when in the Navy, but even then I was deployed over half of that time and not there.

However, I am here in Miami going on almost four years, I just enjoy the heck out of the city.
So military service aside, you moved around the world for around 15 years and changed places frequently?
If that means having resided and worked in serveral different countries, then I am wondering and I am seriously curious about how you managed to get all those work permits and permits of residence. I am asking this because I often see that such legalities are the first hurdles to foreigners wanting to live in a country, before you can even think of actually finding a job.
Maybe you had different experiences regarding this, depending on country?
It would be awesome if you could elaborate on that a bit.

(All assuming you are neither super rich nor lived and and worked everywhere illegally.)

Sometimes it is the other way around: a local employer helps you get through those hurdles by vouching for you with the authorities etc., but then the employer usually still has to prove to the local authorities/government that there is no local suitable job candidate whose job opportunity you (as a foreigner) would take away.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:14 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
I see nothing wrong with it, IMO.

With your chosen career (cleaning and organizing), and desire to always be on the move, why not join the military?

You would be a good fit, IMO.

When hubby was active duty we moved 3 times within 4yrs, lol.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:17 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
wow, now that's beyond my realm of imagination lol. every 2-3 years for 30 years?

I'm just wondering though, do you guys move for similar reasons I do? Like feeling like after a couple years things become stagnant and the place just starts grating your nerves? Or maybe...it's not bad, but you just want to experience something different/new way of life, etc. Or is it due to work moving you around?

I also feel that after moving to some cities, I start feeling like I've overstayed my welcome Mainly in places that have a heavy majority of one, and small minorities of another. Where I live at now, I really stand out for the most part...and I don't even look like the type of person who'd stick around for a long time. I'm usually the only person of color in every store, restaurant, and group activity I've attended. People who say it's just me...don't understand the cards I'm being dealt!
Mostly bored with it and realizing that this would never be a forever place. My husband worked for a contractor for 20 of the 30 years and when an interesting place came up, he would ask for a transfer. We have more than once in the last 10 years just loaded up and moved. A little over a year ago, we sold a house, moved in the pop-up for 3 1/2 months while checking out other areas of the state. Been here about 15 months and it is a series of dead ends and winter has been terrible. I can tell you that if after two years it isn't a keeper, it will probably never become one and every year after will be l-o-n-g-e-r........

Person of color? OK, I'm not one but grew up in MI, went into the military, and then the moving around: MS, AL, NC, KS, AZ......... so, sadly, in all cases it may not be you and this is one good reason why I am glad to have moved around with the kids. They are "color" blind. You'll be "educating" anyone, well, that needs to be educated in such things so maybe that is your mission here on earth.

So, after over 30 years, will we find "that" place? I'll keep you posted but we are seriously considering full-time RVing!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:24 PM

23 posts, read 31,156 times
My career keeps me from staying in a place for too long.

I have moved from coast to coast and it's looking like I will be making that cross country trip again soon for a job.

I want to buy a home, but I won't do it until I am actually back home in Denver... Who knows how long that will be, if ever again.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:21 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
Quote:
I may have posted this wrongly in another section, and just got visually assaulted and battered by another member. I hope people aren't like that around here. The whole, "you won't be happy anywhere, just kill yourself" mentality

Anyhow...I don't see what's the issue. Basically, in a nutshell...I just find that after living in a city for awhile, usually after 1-2 years, things just stop working for me. I've never lived in NYC, or California though. The cities I live, are cities that in other states I hear people tell me, "ugh, I'd never move there. Too hot, too humid, too cold, too snowy, etc" So clearly there IS NO perfect city. But, it's nothing in particular I'm doing or not doing...but it almost seems that it just naturally happens after awhile. I'll admit I'm in the under 30s category, single and no kids. I spent the 1st 20 years of my life living in one state. I didn't have this 'urge' to leave because that's all I knew. Any talks of moving were frightening to me. When my X would talk to me about moving, I could never see myself leaving my home state.

Now some 10 years later, I finally understood everything my X was going thru at the time...and I feel so bad for making it seem like HE had an issue. He eventually moved on, and we've long lost contact.

When I say things 'stop working', it's everything from motivation to meeting people to work-related. I don't want to go into the long details of exactly what it is, but it's hard to explain. It's just the fact of there seems to eventually end up being the same old people, same old options, same old bars (and Lord, I'm so sick of the 2 or 3 bars my friends attend faithfully EVERY SINGLE WEEK), same everything. It's like dude, how do you not get tired of this same routine every week? I'm only sane because I travel as often as I can...but coming home afterwards, I just get frustrated all over again after a few days.

Is there anyone who have jobs/lifestyles that allow them to make these type of transitions? Also, why do people associate wanting to relocate often as some sort of character flaw?

I don't see anything wrong with it. If you had children, that might be different. I'm sorry that I spent a third of my life in one state. I have only moved twice in my life and I think it lifts the spirits, to some degree.

We know a woman who is a nurse and has no difficulty moving from state to state and finding work. She seems to be on an every two year schedule. She's an LPN and her training only took 9 months. She makes pretty good money.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:45 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
I don't like to move, but if you don't mind and want to, why not?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:02 PM

414 posts, read 1,019,951 times
I've moved regularly my entire life, and I've mostly enjoyed it. There's always the stress of unsettling yourself and diving into something new, but even that is attractive for the most part. If you're looking for very move-heavy careers, look into being a park ranger- you generally move around every 'season' (3-6 months), and the locations are always awesome.

For the people saying moving with kids is a different story, I moved on average every 2-3 years as a child and turned out fine. What I lack in long-term roots/friendships I tend to think I make up for in flexibility and a little bit more openness. There's tradeoffs in everything, really.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:53 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
I have been on a similar path ever since graduating college, unintentionally. If you are doing this to advance your career (like myself) then I see nothing wrong with it at all. If you doing this just to do it, I see nothing wrong with this at all. Just have fun, you will eventually get tired of it though and land somewhere for good. I have my eyes set on a city I want to be at, and I'm almost there, just one more leap and I'm set. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues